Hearing Defence.

Westley

If your principles are to ignore advice that will save your hearing just because you don't like to be told what to do,then you certainly are a bit warped.

Only a fool would continue to do something that will have a detrimental effect on himself and effect the rest of his life.

I don't need any advice from no one, i know what i'm doing, is my choice so back off... You look after your own hearing... I didn't told you not to wear defenders, did i?

It doesn't... may be i'm just used to it, and i never had any hearing problems

Sorry but you don't just get used to high decibel levels like gun shot noise etc.

Theres a pretty good chance your hearing is damaged already , which is why you say you have got used to it ,not because your ears are immune to the noise but because of the damage caused

i don't know, that's why i said ''may be'' :)

Well at our club if your not wearing hearing protection AND glasses then you're not shooting

Simple as that and we have never had anyone walk away because of it

:shaun:

Fair enough, don't like it don't join the club

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't... may be i'm just used to it, and i never had any hearing problems

Well, not yet at least.

As a tinitus sufferer I really hope you don't develop problems in later life because it really is horrible and you'll regret not protecting yourself. I'm not trying to tell you what to do because as you say, that's entirely your choice but I'd definately advise getting a hearing check up, if only to confirm your belief that no damage has been done. If damage has already occurred, and I suspect it has, it might not be too late to prevent it from getting to the stage where it is noticeable and life affecting. Hearing damage can build up very slowly and by the time you realise something isn't right, it's way too late. For your sake, I hope you're right because living with tinitus is no joke.

ATB

I don't need any advice from no one, i know what i'm doing, is my choice so back off... You look after your own hearing... I didn't told you not to wear defenders, did i?

Advice is free, if you want to be the deaf fool you crack on :yes: As you say you know what you are doing ,and that is irrevocably damaging your hearing with every shot you take without hearing protection ???

Well, not yet at least.

As a tinitus sufferer I really hope you don't develop problems in later life because it really is horrible and you'll regret not protecting yourself. I'm not trying to tell you what to do because as you say, that's entirely your choice but I'd definately advise getting a hearing check up, if only to confirm your belief that no damage has been done. If damage has already occurred, and I suspect it has, it might not be too late to prevent it from getting to the stage where it is noticeable and life affecting. Hearing damage can build up very slowly and by the time you realise something isn't right, it's way too late. For your sake, I hope you're right because living with tinitus is no joke.

ATB

I had a complete check up in the summer , when i was suffering from a external ear infection. There is nothin wrong with my hearing or my ears. Unfortunately back in a days, in my army time, ear defenders wasn't really an option, as you have to hear orders, commands and your coleagues, especially in the op theaters. I speak from experience, you can hear and estimate where is gonna land, up 10 ten seconds before impact , the 82mm and 120mm mortars, as well as the infamous 107mm rocket... trust me you don't want ear defenders...

Advice is free, if you want to be the deaf fool you crack on :yes: As you say you know what you are doing ,and that is irrevocably damaging your hearing with every shot you take without hearing protection ???

Yeah, thanks , mind your own ears though... :whistling:

I always wear the little foam jobbies when shooting clays. They block out the bang and the laughter from behind :lol: , but I am considering some electronics for pigeon shooting.

Torn between Peltor Sportacs and Howard Leights Impact sports. Not wanting to steal this thread matey, but any suggestions?

I have recenly got a pair of Howard Leights Impact sports defenders and am very pleased with them.I find the only problem being they are a little tight after a few hours pigeon shooting.

I had a complete check up in the summer , when i was suffering from a external ear infection. There is nothin wrong with my hearing or my ears. Unfortunately back in a days, in my army time, ear defenders wasn't really an option, as you have to hear orders, commands and your coleagues, especially in the op theaters. I speak from experience, you can hear and estimate where is gonna land, up 10 ten seconds before impact , the 82mm and 120mm mortars, as well as the infamous 107mm rocket... trust me you don't want ear defenders...

“Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it” Agatha Christie

"back in the day" they took it seriously and i am now an old sod :lol:

"back in the day" they took it seriously and i am now an old sod :lol:

c1971 when the armed forces' medics twigged, all 'noise area' guys on my unit in Germany were tested. Many guys failed the first test and a good few (me, sod it) also failed the second test taken first thing on a Monday morning after a 'quiet weekend'. The unit was RAF and operating small fast jets and every single flight line armourer had to be withdrawn and swapped with an opposite number from the armoury. Rest assured, a piddly little war pension does not compensate for the loss.

Even though my father was deafened in the war and I'm quite hearing impaired, I can usually see the funny side of a 'deaf' joke. The one big problem with the affliction though is that when severe, many immediately think that the deaf person is stupid. I know my father found that aspect particularly hurtful. Why is it that you don't get the same amount of ridicule if you're blind?

That's why we where/are issued reactive ear plugs linked to your PRR. Because of all the damage being done around 8 years to late for most front line troops.

Don't relie on MRS hearing test they are **** either use NMI or a real audiologist.

The needle on my mongtardometer is being given a thorough work out in this thread.

It's funny, all the ex forces I know lament their lack of hearing protection and are the staunchest advocates of hearing protection. Maybe they just have a more mature and sensible approach to the subject matter.