• Plaid Cymru
    • BNP
    • Not Voting
    • DUP
    • Sinn Féin
    • UUP
    • SDLP
    • Alliance

here's what ours does for us I.E NOWT and who exactly voted for her? well that we be no one then :hmm:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/9555578/Baroness-Ashton-absent-from-two-thirds-of-European-Commission-meetings.html

Ah Baroness Ashton, the Labour peer.

Good to see Labour sticking to their roots and championing the causes of the working man. :lol:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also wondering when the first ukip MP will be charged for fiddling his expenses :/

Very, very soon after election I should imagine. The reason I shall never vote UKIP is that they are, generally, an incredibly hypocritical party. There is considerable evidence that their MEPs milk the European system for every penny they can get, and they have one of the poorest attendance records of any party in Brussels. (One previous UKIP MEP, Ashley Mote was even jailed for benefit fraud!) The irony is, of course, we keep returning them in European elections, where they have no influence on their major policy objectives... Still, better to have them in a talking shop than somewhere they can do actual damage...

I should say, as I rant on, that I've met, and indeed enjoy the company of, many at the top of the party (occupational hazard). They are just as I had suspected - exactly the sort of people you'd love to have a pint with, but would not trust anywhere near government. Their short-sighted and narrow-minded approach to most policy areas is disturbing (well, the ones they bother worrying about). They have a lot of headline policies that I absolutely love - but I'm willing to look past the headlines and consider the detail and put the policies into the context of a bigger picture. Anyone can come up with some brilliant and popular individual policies. However, creating a consistent, coherent, and realistic set of policies, which will all work together is much more difficult. They know what the real issues are, and won't skirt around them - so for that you can only have respect, and it's this forthright nature which makes them just the sort of people you'd want to spend time at the bar with.

However, the (ironically) hierarchical nature of the party - a one man PR machine - does it no favours. A prime example being the resignation of Will Gilpin, who was brought in specifically to professionalise the party, and assist with tweaking policies to make them workable. His ideas did not fit in so well with getting Farage headlines, so was stopped at every stage from making the party anything approaching a serious option. From my interactions with UKIP MEPs and HQ staffers, I can't help but agree with Gilpin's view of them as a "bunch of enthusiastic amateurs"... Then there is the resignation of former deputy leader, Mike Natrass, on the basis of Farage's continued use of the party to forward his own political ideology at the expense of those in the party... The latter example, doubtless, has far more to it than has been publicly aired - but still not a good sign if two of the leading members of a party can't 'bury the hatchet' for the sake of their supporters.

Unfortunately, this puts me in a sad position. I detest the current leadership of the Conservative Party, and whilst I very much agree with my local MP on a great many issues, I am not so keen on his kowtow relationship with the upper echelons. Things would not be half so bad if the party didn't have its hands tied behind its back by being stuck in a coalition - but that is Cameron's fault for missing the biggest open goal in politics at the last General Election.

Edited by southwest_colonel

It would appear ukip is a shoe in with the shooting fraternity ..the cons must be ******** ...the labs don't know or care because they have still got there heads stuck up there ***** were they cant see any problems 'cause its dark .if ukip do half of what they say they will frighten the **** out of all the main party's come the general election ...Vote ukip & cause a bit of mayhem

Yes They are big supporters of shooting and fishing and as all the others don't have a policy at present on these sports they will get a lot of the votes from these sportsmen and women.

And yes the other parties are ******* it as people do not trust any of the mainstream parties and cannot see that UKIP can be any worse! the demonization of UKIP will start shortly and it will be

a very nasty case of character assassination like we have never seen before, and it wont surprise me if the other parties join forces in this as none of them like Democracy as the population have

seen so often with the false promises and U turns!

I would rather have UKIP with a fresh approach to politics than anyone else as they cant do worse than the rubbish we have had in the last twenty years!

Very, very soon after election I should imagine. The reason I shall never vote UKIP is that they are, generally, an incredibly hypocritical party. There is considerable evidence that their MEPs milk the European system for every penny they can get, and they have one of the poorest attendance records of any party in Brussels. (One previous UKIP MEP, Ashley Mote was even jailed for benefit fraud!) The irony is, of course, we keep returning them in European elections, where they have no influence on their major policy objectives... Still, better to have them in a talking shop than somewhere they can do actual damage...

UKIP MEPs have previously claimed expenses from the European parliament to show how flawed their expenses system is. Farage wrote about how he easily claimed travel expenses - money is given no questions asked, regardless of how he travelled as well. Technically you could hitchhike and get those benefits, and his travel costs were only half the amount given in travel expenses. Then there's the other types of expenses he hasn't ever been asked to prove how he spent, meaning he could use the money for whatever he wanted to. Basically it was all a stunt to draw attention to the flaws in the EU's expenses system. I'd say they did a pretty good job.

The real story there is that the EU parliament routinely hands out large sums of money with no questions asked and few strings attached. And bear in mind this is money from the EU parliament, money which has already been stolen from EU countries including Britain.

As for the "poor attendance record" -

http://www.theparliament.com/latest-news/article/newsarticle/ukip-hits-back-at-claims-its-meps-are-laziest-in-parliament/#.Ur1SzOqYbIU

http://www.paulnuttallmep.com/?p=708

Edited by Reece

Interesting response...

So, UKIP MEPs have admitted to (and indeed bragged in those links) not doing what we are paying them to do...

I am no fan of the EU, however, UKIP's continued contempt for the role our electorate have tasked them with undertaking does not sit well with me. It's the totally unearned righteousness of UKIP and its supporters which really grate with me.

Also interesting to learn it's okay to claim ridiculously over the top expenses if you're a Eurosceptic. After all, if you get caught you can just claim that it was being done to show a flaw in the system. Truly shameful attempt at getting out of that one. If I was Dennis MacShane I'd have attempted that defence the other week... "You see m'lud, if I hadn't fiddled the system it may never have come out how unfit for purpose it was. You see, I was really just doing my civic duty..."

Edited by southwest_colonel

Interesting response...

So, UKIP MEPs have admitted to (and indeed bragged in those links) not doing what we are paying them to do...

I am no fan of the EU, however, UKIP's continued contempt for the role our electorate have tasked them with undertaking does not sit well with me. It's the totally unearned righteousness of UKIP and its supporters which really grate with me.

Also interesting to learn it's okay to claim ridiculously over the top expenses if you're a Eurosceptic. After all, if you get caught you can just claim that it was being done to show a flaw in the system. Truly shameful attempt at getting out of that one. If I was Dennis MacShane I'd have attempted that defence the other week... "You see m'lud, if I hadn't fiddled the system it may never have come out how unfit for purpose it was. You see, I was really just doing my civic duty..."

I think that perhaps, possibly you have missed the obvious main reason why some on here will choose to vote UKIP in the 2014 elections.

Believe it or not most have a healthy cynicism about some UKIP representatives, but believe that it is almost impossible that they could be worse than the current bunch of misguided, corrupt and self-serving, grasping ****** that represent the current parties, most of whom are career politicians who have never held down a normal job.

We also do not expect any party in the birth stages to be devoid of it's fair share of sub-standard representatives.

However, the current leadership of the other main parties have managed by their proven attitudes and mentality that they do not represent a fair-sized majority of the population, and as such UKIP are judged worthy to be worth a vote.

It's as simple as that really...........

ask most people what is wrong with this country ,you get the same answer immigration ,country over run with scroungers ,so the only party that has the balls to stand up and address the problem is ukip or bnp ,the later has been condemned as raciest ,even if nick griffin is a modern day enoch powell.

ukip gets my vote ,but I fear the damage has already been done .

Edited by neillfrbs

BNP is racist, no doubt about it. Before UKIP became big many people were only voting for BNP because there was no other protest party out there.

I'd be happy if UKIP did well in an election but shudder to imagine what the BNP would like to do to this country.

BNP is racist, no doubt about it. Before UKIP became big many people were only voting for BNP because there was no other protest party out there.

I'd be happy if UKIP did well in an election but shudder to imagine what the BNP would like to do to this country.

What would they like to do and how do you know this?

One thing is for sure if they had wielded a bit more influence we wouldn't be utterly saturated by immigrants and being told what to do by the French and Germans.

What would they like to do and how do you know this?

One thing is for sure if they had wielded a bit more influence we wouldn't be utterly saturated by immigrants and being told what to do by the French and Germans.

Have a dig in to Nick Griffin's past. He is on record for saying the holocaust never happened for example, worked for the National Front and made a complete fool of himself when he tried to retract his holocaust denial statement by talking about newly discovered radio transcripts that meant he'd now changed his mind on the holocaust. The man is a nutter and so are most of his party members. I get why people voted for them, most aren't nasty racists just sick of being ignored by politicians. Classic example was Gordon Brown when he called that woman a bigot.

BNP will never go anywhere they've got too much historical baggage and the entire weight of the media and political establishment are against them, people even lose their jobs if they're found to be members of the party.

Have a dig in to Nick Griffin's past. He is on record for saying the holocaust never happened for example, worked for the National Front and made a complete fool of himself when he tried to retract his holocaust denial statement by talking about newly discovered radio transcripts that meant he'd now changed his mind on the holocaust. The man is a nutter and so are most of his party members. I get why people voted for them, most aren't nasty racists just sick of being ignored by politicians. Classic example was Gordon Brown when he called that woman a bigot.

BNP will never go anywhere they've got too much historical baggage and the entire weight of the media and political establishment are against them, people even lose their jobs if they're found to be members of the party.

Wrong cant do it now as its already been ruled by the ECHR that its not illegal to be a member of that BNP which is a recognised political party there have been cases of dismissal overturned in the last few years,prompting claims for compensation (usually against left wing councils run by idealistic clueless dreamers)

KW

Edited by kdubya