george digweed shooting pigeons

Crumpler1991

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange isn't it. only a brief passing mention on the BBC's Sports Personality of the year bash. Never even seen him turn up. Wonder why. He's not on her either to my knowledge. Perhaps he chews garlic or something

Fitting in to a suit probably had something to do with...

I've seen GD shoot a number of times at Southdown gun club in the summer, (really nice bloke) you can't take it away from the guy, he's a great shot, BUT I have seen many of his videos, he's hitting and killing birds at some fair old distance, but I think you'll find it's down to some clever zooming in and out to give it the appearance it's a distance away, and then a chap with an overly expressing and convincing voice says "he's even dropping them at 90 yards" the mind beleves

Just my opinion

Sam :)

• 3 weeks later...

How do you know he's the best shot who ever lived, have you seen him shooting in person, and he's only good at clays because he's plenty of practice he shots thousands upon thousands of shells a year and a clay bird only goes in one direction and there is also a thing called video editing.

I know it's anecdotal, but I've spoken to two people who have been on driven pheasant shoots with GD. One had the misfortune to draw next peg to him (gulp!); the other was two pegs different. Both told me he didn't miss a bird all day... :good:

My son saw him shoot the 130 yard clay & said on the way up to 100yds he was breaking them easily. After that he was probably only as good as the rest of us at 40yds -outside of NI obviously :whistling:.

If you think he's only good at clays "because he's plenty of practice", then how come all the others haven't been World Champion 22 times as well? The bloke clearly has a gift.

There must be a lot of good shooters in NI if both you & Dr D can't recognise how good GD is?

Is it just my eyes or did he load his gun then stand it stock down while holding the barrels? :no:

I mostly stand there with the stock on the ground and hand on the barrels holding it away from myself or in quiet spells prop it against the hide leaning away from me, no drama there ???

but for some reason your picking a fault with a 22 times world clay champ, and just as good on pigeon and game so he obviously knows how to handle a gun :whistling:

Edited by yickdaz

Well I wouldn't have a loaded gun in a hide held by the barrels with the but on the ground like a walking stick... World champion or not.

It's plain to see on that first video and isn't a great example to set

So how do you hold yours ( gun :) ) when in the hide ?

I mostly stand there with the stock on the ground and hand on the barrels holding it away from myself or in quiet spells prop it against the hide leaning away from me, no drama there ???

but for some reason your picking a fault with a 22 times world clay champ, and just as good on pigeon and game so he obviously knows how to handle a gun :whistling:

I agree, nothing is 110% safe with a loaded gun, you could argue having shells in the chamber with it broken could be just as dangerous as it's bound to get caught up in the nets all the time as you go to raise and shut the gun at the same time. I do similar things in the hide but you need your wits about you as always.

I know it's anecdotal, but I've spoken to two people who have been on driven pheasant shoots with GD. One had the misfortune to draw next peg to him (gulp!); the other was two pegs different. Both told me he didn't miss a bird all day... :good:

My son saw him shoot the 130 yard clay & said on the way up to 100yds he was breaking them easily. After that he was probably only as good as the rest of us at 40yds -outside of NI obviously :whistling:.

If you think he's only good at clays "because he's plenty of practice", then how come all the others haven't been World Champion 22 times as well? The bloke clearly has a gift.

There must be a lot of good shooters in NI if both you & Dr D can't recognise how good GD is?

Excuse me ! I never questioned the guys ability, only the wisdom of supposedly shooting at pigeons 90yards away. As others have said, there is no way the gun is holding a meaningful pattern. So, shooting at them is bad formin my book. If you want to demonstrate your prowess then by all means do it. But stick to clays. They dont run around in the bushes winged.

At 16.06 the bird is winged why didn't he let the second barrel go

How do you know , were you there ?

Birds stone dead in the air act in different ways when falling, depending on their speed/direction of flight and wind conditions.

Digweed has often said in previous videos that he will shoot a bird again, if he thinks its winged.

It does make me chuckle how people have the audacity to question in my opinion the greatest shooter of all time when he's giving hints and tips on how to shot pigeons better to us lesser talented shooters.

As to the comment about gun safety in the hide. I've only been on one pigeon day and I was told to have the gun loaded with safety on and stock on the floor holding it by the barrels at a 45 degree angle pointing away. Perfectly safe and appropriate for the conditions of a small hide IMO.

ATB 425

It does make me chuckle how people have the audacity to question in my opinion the greatest shooter of all time when he's giving hints and tips on how to shot pigeons better to us lesser talented shooters.

As to the comment about gun safety in the hide. I've only been on one pigeon day and I was told to have the gun loaded with safety on and stock on the floor holding it by the barrels at a 45 degree angle pointing away. Perfectly safe and appropriate for the conditions of a small hide IMO.

ATB 425

I will give you a tip a useful as anything on that video. Dont swing your gun at a pigeon 90 uards away.

I will give you a tip a useful as anything on that video. Dont swing your gun at a pigeon 90 uards away.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you there. Because that's just stating the obvious, not a tip. Only a moron would take a 90 yard shot unless they were blessed with his talent. Likewise only a moron would think any shooter worth his salt would take a 90 yard shot.

ATB 425

Sorry but I have to disagree with you there. Because that's just stating the obvious, not a tip. Only a moron would take a 90 yard shot unless they were blessed with his talent. Likewise only a moron would think any shooter worth his salt would take a 90 yard shot.

ATB 425

Totally agree, but iamafraid the 90 yard rule applies to mr digweed just the same as the rest of us mere mortals. But the digweed fan club will no doubt disagree.