george digweed shooting pigeons

Crumpler1991

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Digweed in a recent clay competition hit 200 clays straight out of 200, and these are not your club level difficulty, these are international competition clays, I get 35 out of 50 on a good day at club level difficulty, I can only dream of the skill levels he achieves, but im sure he has put in the practice time over a life time of shooting , clays and game, and deserves everything he achieves, on a personal level, George, if you have any spare time, I could really use a lesson or two before I get too old to lift the gun to my shoulder, I love my shooting and get great pleasure from the few I hit, but always look for ways to improve. Oh by the way, Happy New Year to all you PW members out there. :good::good:

90-100 yards. I cant see anything to be applauded. Ok, admittedly we all shoot at that odd rangey bird. But that is totally different from going out to shoot at them at them dilieberately at distances that result in runners. Pretty disgusting practice if you ask me. And I am not dissing the guys ability. I just think live quarry is desrving of more respect. If you want to shoot stuff at unbelievable distances then you should stick to clays IMO.

Also, a final thought. Surely this is totally counter intuitive to the concept of decoying.

Edited by Dr D

90-100 yards. I cant see anything to be applauded. Ok, admittedly we all shoot at that odd rangey bird. But that is totally different from going out to shoot at them at them dilieberately at distances that result in runners. Pretty disgusting practice if you ask me. And I am not dissing the guys ability. I just think live quarry is desrving of more respect. If you want to shoot stuff at unbelievable distances then you should stick to clays IMO.

Also, a final thought. Surely this is totally counter intuitive to the concept of decoying.

I agree Dr d. Most.of his birds will be winged, I,once was.out for a flight over a rape stumble and shot at a crow at that sort of range with a mini magum 42 gram num 4 out of a full choke which pattern exceptionally well in my gun and I only pickled him and I also support the show more respect for your quarry

I'd bet that George doesn't wound any more birds at 75yds than most shooters do at 35yds. He is probably the best shot who has ever lived.

My *****. And if you are winging alot of birds at 35 yards, you need to join mr digweed on the clays before thinking of heading back into the field.

My *****. And if you are winging alot of birds at 35 yards, you need to join mr digweed on the clays before thinking of heading back into the field.

Did I say I was winging birds ? I know my limits, and I reckon George knows his.

( By the way, have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teixm6JMw_k , not that I'm suggesting it should be done on live targets ).

Did I say I was winging birds ? I know my limits, and I reckon George knows his.

( By the way, have a look at this

, not that I'm suggesting it should be done on live targets ).
Dont take me wrong catweazle, that comment was not a personal attack, i was remarking on your general view about people winging as many birds at 35 yrds as he does at 75 yrds. I think thats rubbish or a sad reflection of those shooting pigeons. I dont doubt the birds are falling out of the sky at 90 yrds either. But god knows how many flew on pickled. There is no way there is meaningful pattern holding at that distance. He is winging the birds to prove a point for the camera. If he would work on those decoys a bit more, get his head down behind the hide, stay still, get something on to cover his face and let the birds get in it would serve him better.

He is hunting live quarry, so personally I couldnt give a hoot what distance he is dropping pigeons at. I am more interested in the fieldcraft and dropping them stone dead.

Edited by Dr D

I'd bet that George doesn't wound any more birds at 75yds than most shooters do at 35yds. He is probably the best shot who has ever lived.

How do you know he's the best shot who ever lived, have you seen him shooting in person, and he's only good at clays because he's plenty of practice he shots thousands upon thousands of shells a year and a clay bird only goes in one direction and there is also a thing called video editing.

How do you know he's the best shot who ever lived, have you seen him shooting in person, and he's only good at clays because he's plenty of practice he shots thousands upon thousands of shells a year and a clay bird only goes in one direction and there is also a thing called video editing.

He's 20 times world champion. Need I say more ?

Looking at the pigeon shooting video of GD, whatever range he is shooting (and I would guess at 60-70 yards) he is within range for his gun/cartridges as many birds are hit hard/killed outright.

What is impressive is that birds he does not kill on the first shot he can hit again (and normally kill) within seconds even though they have changed trajectory/speed....something he comments on as important to him....if so he is unlikely to be shooting live game beyond a range he can kill them.

The guy is a legend and none of the videos I have seen suggests he ever tries to shoot beyond a range that he can kill...whatever B**********S the commentator says.

I have shot with G.D on several occasions and apart from being a really nice bloke his shooting is really incredible he dosen't just muddle down pigeons at 90 yds he kills them stone dead I wouldn't even put my gun up to pigeons he kills consistantly at those ranges and I don't think I shoot too badly and I also think that after 40 odd years of shooting I can judge ranges pretty well and know my limits and they fall well short of what George is capable of.

I have shot with G.D on several occasions and apart from being a really nice bloke his shooting is really incredible he dosen't just muddle down pigeons at 90 yds he kills them stone dead I wouldn't even put my gun up to pigeons he kills consistantly at those ranges and I don't think I shoot too badly and I also think that after 40 odd years of shooting I can judge ranges pretty well and know my limits and they fall well short of what George is capable of.

I don't doubt that George is a great shot, but 90 yards? Surely no shotgun pattern can hold well enough at that range to consistently kill pigeons.

I think there is little doubt about George's abilities, 22 world titles (11 Sporting, 10 Fitasc and 1 Compak), 18 European titles (14 Fitasc and 4 Compak), 4 European Compak titles, and 12 world cups, at least that's what Wikipedia says at the moment!

Shame the powers that be haven't recognised this with a decent award (not just an MBE) to acknowledge his contribution to shooting - I'm not aware of any other 22 times world champions who aren't Knights/Dames considering that all UK governments (past and present) handout these to the celebrities, footballers and the like, at the drop of a hat, it seems to me - that said sounds like Beckham isn't on the list yet :lol:) Surely, George should have at the very least been knighted if not made an emperor :good: by now?

I think there is little doubt about George's abilities, 22 world titles (11 Sporting, 10 Fitasc and 1 Compak), 18 European titles (14 Fitasc and 4 Compak), 4 European Compak titles, and 12 world cups, at least that's what Wikipedia says at the moment!

Shame the powers that be haven't recognised this with a decent award (not just an MBE) to acknowledge his contribution to shooting - I'm not aware of any other 22 times world champions who aren't Knights/Dames considering that all UK governments (past and present) handout these to the celebrities, footballers and the like, at the drop of a hat, it seems to me - that said sounds like Beckham isn't on the list yet :lol:) Surely, George should have at the very least been knighted if not made an emperor :good: by now?

Strange isn't it. only a brief passing mention on the BBC's Sports Personality of the year bash. Never even seen him turn up. Wonder why. He's not on her either to my knowledge. Perhaps he chews garlic or something

Hear hear well said

I have never shot a clay in my life but I do know that Digweed has been a world champion for a great many years and that his achievements should be recognised. An other multi times champion the Uk has is Phil 'The Power' Taylor in darts. Perhaps the powers that be do not like awarding honours to fat ****.

Finally, sanity returns. GD's skill with a shot gun is never going to be equalled, you couldn't begin to even categorise his (first man to this or that), he straighted two registered shoots in one day ! Someone classed as AAA could shoot and reshoot the same course a dozen times over a year and still fail to straight it !

BUT let sanity return, the birds on the video are sharply visible so unlikely to be silly distance and even 35 gram 5's won't fold a 90 yard bird and just as many would be hit and wounded. I don't believe he habitually fires at that sort of distance.

Edited by Teal