Moderators

Elma Fud

I'm thinking of putting in for a variation and getting a moderator fitted to my .243 remington heavy barrel.

Question.

As the rifle is already heavy what choices of moderator do I have.

I'm also going to put in for another 30-06, can I use the same moderator?

What would you say is the best on the market and why?

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

EF

Hi Elma....it's been a while !

I have Reflex T8's on both my .243 and .270. You're welcome to have a look at them and see what the

moderation quality is like. (It really tames the .270!). Give me a bell if you want to take them out for a session.

POI is not affected when you remove and replace the can, which is a very important point.

Some say they're prone to rust? I've never seen this and my .243 has had a LOT of use. As long as they're looked after you'll be OK.

They come in two sizes, .25 and .30, so potentuially you could get away with one can for both rifles. You would

just need to get a spare bush bored out for the second rifle.

Personally I reckon they're the best for the money.

Others may think differently......(This can of worms is now open !)

Ive got a t8 which was good on my .17 hmr but a little 'too much' i was going to sell it but will now keep it to put on a .223 when i get it.. ???

Make sure you blow it out with an airline to get rid of any unburnt powder that may be in there from the 17hmr. before you put it your .223 when you get it, otherwise it may bite you :angry::angry:

Ahhhh moderator agro... Im still looking for one too.

The T8 Reflex seems to be the one to have. If your getting it for a big bore, I would suggest a fine thread, not 1/2'' UNF. A fine thread will be better on the 30 cal as it gives more surface area strength. It will also be better if you intend to swap the moderator around.

Just one qeustion on moderators..

Its been suggested to spray the internals with WD40, is there not a risk of oil fumes blowing the mod apart when it heats up? same effect as unburnt powders that have built up.

Elma, great question - I should have asked it a few weeks ago !

Rob,

Tell us more - I will pick up my .243 next week with the S5 fitted - I choose that over a T8 as the S5 is stainless, weighs a bit less - is not over barrel (but only adds same length as T8) and was only £20 more.

The performance (according to a magazine advert - so highly biased) says the performance is as T8, so I'm hoping I picked a goodun.

I hope also to easily swap between rifles too, in the future - .22-250 / 6.5mm so similar sizes (if that happens ok that really will be a nice surprise).

So, what made ya get the S5 and will I be pleased with the new addition to my muzzle ?

Cheers

AndyCM

- I thought I'd be the only one out there without a T8 :lol:

Ive got a t8 which was good on my .17 hmr but a little 'too much' i was going to sell it but will now keep it to put on a .223 when i get it.. :lol:

Make sure you blow it out with an airline to get rid of any unburnt powder that may be in there from the 17hmr. before you put it your .223 when you get it, otherwise it may bite you :P:good:

Will do :lol:

I put a PES on my .243 for about two outings before taking it off and leaving it in the bottom of my cabinet, far too heavy, and it put about 4" onto the length of my barrel, you couldnt carry the rifle with the sling over your shoulder as it would always swing round barrel down and with the extra 4" it was catching on all sorts of things and was a danger to sticking it in the ground, on a plus side it was great to use, it took loads of recoil out of the rifle.