ear defenders on foreshore

strangford  wildfowler

I do now, wait until your middle aged and beyond and you will wish you did when you could still save those bits of hearing I have now lost. Never been a volume shooter but all those three and four shots add up over the years. Nothing fancy just foam plugs from the builders merchants, they also prevent wind induced ear aches!

I do. The old man and bro don't. I'd rather not be able to hear for an evening flight than be deaf 24/7 in the long run.

Will eventually get electronic ones but missing the odd duck now and again because you didn't hear it coming is not worth it not wearing ear plugs.

Your a smart guy, stick with it :good:

I do. The old man and bro don't. I'd rather not be able to hear for an evening flight than be deaf 24/7 in the long run.

Will eventually get electronic ones but missing the odd duck now and again because you didn't hear it coming is not worth it not wearing ear plugs.

Your a smart guy, stick with it :good:

+1. Don't take chances with your hearing. It will be years afterwards when the consequences are seen/not heard. :yes:

I wear hearing protection all week at work , I wear it when I am pigeon shooting too but I do not wear it wildfowling as my already slim chances will be about 3 time worse with it .

I have only had three shots on the foreshore this season so doubt I am doing a great deal of harm.

Cheers for the advice so do u lot think I should just buy a lot of 30p foam ear plugs?

Yes I do, take a few out so you always have clean. Don't worry about hearing birds you still can hear such things as approaching geese and Widgeon whistling over the deeks. Expensive electronic things and lots of mud and water in the dark? Nah!

Get yourself a pair of the Sonic 2 earplugs. They cost about £12 (get them easy online) and I have had mine for 5+ years. They have a silicon insert in them which lets you hear normal conversation pretty well (and quacks, whistling wings etc) whilst cancelling out the shot. I never used to use them for flighting but do now after watching my dads lugs deteriorate. Not worth the risk.

Use electronic hearing defenders, you'll hear far more than with normal hearing :good: plus you will save yourself from becoming another deaf old g i t, who can't hear wings behind me, or a Wigeon whistle 70 yds away, wearing them I can hear the Wigeon the other side of the estuary :good:

Everyone, wear hearing protection on the marsh :good:

Brian

Edited by The Croc

I have never worn ear protection but now have Tinitus which is a constant high pitched whistling. My advice is wear them. I feel sure mine was made worse by pigeon shooting rather than wildfowling but its all contributed. There is lots of options for ear protection out there now unlike 30+ years ago. Now what did you say ???