Pigeons thriving? It's possible...

Lg1

Could pigeons be thriving right now? Are we all missing the point! After roosting the other evening I had a good look at the birds I shot, they all had one thing in common. They were in pristine condition and stuffed to exploding point, with all the natural food and rich pickings the pigeons could be having the best year ever!

All the talk of there been no pigeons could be a calm before a storm, if what I seen is anything to go by they are having the time of there lives. Finding food easy, packing on the weight! Not getting shot at etc, if I was a pigeon I think I'd feel quite cozy at the moment.

In the above conditions I can't see why the birds are not infact thriving, life is easy and conditions perfect. It's a different slant on most people's opinions at the moment but never the less very possible in my opinion...

Times have evolved we need more futuristic equipment pigeons are out smarting us !!! Ha if only I had my phone the other day never seen so many pigeon in Cheshire only there for crows there must of been 10-15k father in law shooting 40 years plus said his never seen so many before ! I was speechless that don't happen often ha

That's just the point mate! I think maybe people will get a shock in a month or two.. If life's good for any creature it tends to thrive..

Only time will tell! Ps. That must of been a hell of a sight.... Once saw around 5000 in one area and it was incredible..

I bet,

When I saw the 5000 they were all on rape and in trees, right on top of me! I set up in the hide and something in the wood must of spooked them. They all flew towards my hide, thousands were literally only 6ft of the ground! I will never forget the roar as they flew over me.. It's hard to describe but it's a deafening roar you feel right in ya bones

That one moment will stay with me for the rest of my days...

Well nice to hear theres some birds about down your way.theres nothing up here in yorkshire even in the big woods.im in touch constantly with other shooters ,gamekeepers around here and its all the same no birds anywhere and we have some fantastic pigeon shooting here every winter without fail .This time last year i was going through cartridges at a mad rate ,the farmers gas gun had no effect at all he was giving me cartridges as i was running out in no time .and now if the winter continues like this wet and mild its gonna get worse .i see alot of farm land is under water down south .personally i think this is going to be the worst shooting season for years.

One thing is for sure they are not an endangered species. Some might migrate out or in. ? Or move about.

All we can do is keep doing our recce's and wait for birds and shooting opportunities to come about.

Stock up on ammo and get stuck in when the time is right. You don't always have to get a big bag to enjoy

your sport. Although that would be nice. Some times use your field craft and skills to get a bit of sport.

If they aint their you cant shoot them. Its frustrating. In my area they are in the woods and on acorns and berry's

it does not take them long to fill their crops. They have not yet started on the Ivy which is just starting to ripen.

I hope a change in the weather will change things.

ATB DP

All I know is, in all the years that I've been taking pigeon shooting seriously, that I have never had a time where I thought that numbers were in decline. Every winter I see thousands of pigeons on rape/beet tops/maize etc as well as being in the woods where many thousands have been for the last month or two.

I think pigeons are thriving at the moment. There are rich pickings to be had and the winter so far has been very mild.

I agree motty. I started shooting with my father 30 years ago the birds came into our area in the winter in 10s of thousands. Those days are gone. However, in 2010 we had very extreme weather and the birds came into the area like the old days. In a square block of about 1000 acres I reckon there was 30 thousand. But that has not been repeated since then.

The birds react to the conditions. I have shot about 700 over the last couple of months. But they are not in the typical places. Before christmas I decoyed an old stubble field. I picked up 70 odd, but not a single bird had grain in its crop. The field was on a line between two woods and every bird had been on beech nuts.

The pigeons behaviour has change in general over the years and is even less predictable this year. But I have no doubt numbers are going up.

I know two guns that shot over 900 pigeons in day 26 years ago. You would never do that in the area those birds were shot today. But that is not because the birds have reduced, it is simply because the farming practices have changed and the birds with it. Also more people are out after them and they are definitely wiser. Just go out a try to use a few bits of spouting to do your decoying and see how sucessful you are in 2014!

Edited by Dr D