**** day today

hmr

had a rearly **** day today.out beating when my faithfull spaniel ran full tilt into a low wire on edge of a dyke breaking frt leg in 4 places.

rushed to vets,options are £1500/4000 to get leg fixed,amputation of leg or pts.cant afford to have leg worked on.dont want him on 3 legs (not fair to working dog with others in house hold so was going to opt for pts.

vet asked if thought about a family having him if leg amputated.would rather this than have a cracking dog pts so that is the option ive gone with as prob best for dog.dont know what left arm going to do now no springer on end of it.thiking dog have a good chance with a family to love him.wouldnt surprise me if vet or sister had him as she didn't want to put him down as he only 5.

what would you have done.

I am truly sorry you have had to face this awful decision.

I have often asked myself the question of what I would do if one of mine were to sustain an untenable injury.

You might not want to hear it but I would have had him PTS. He will always be a dog that wants to work, but now can't.

was told bout £300/350.but what I didn't want a working dog in a working household but cannot work.the dog would want to workits bred in him but would only be able to potter about if you know what I mean.if you want to chat will pm my number.

no I wouldn't have to pay but would if it helped him find a good life.

Earlier this year in the spring my 4 year old springer tore the cruciate ligament on her back left leg. The vet told me she would never work again so I considered putting her to sleep; however, myself & the wife were too attached to the dog to do this.

The vet bill for my dog was nowhere near what you face but I got the op done and as I type she is lying on the sofa in front of the fire enjoying her retirement.

She wines every time she sees me going out with the gun,but she is adapting very well to life indoors considering she never spent 1 day indoors before the accident. I think I may take her out decoying in the summer as it won't be strenuous and it'll get her out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is have a think before you put a faithful companion to sleep.

Very sorry to hear this.

Although your dog may not be an effective traditional shooting dog, they are resilient, and I have seen plenty of 3 legged dogs get on with life as if nothing happened. I am sure your dog would be amazing from a hide on decoyed pigeons and such.

A very different dog, but a long while back in another life I witnessed an African wild dog pup have a front leg amputated in the field after an accident during a relocation exercise we were carrying out. She broke her leg in the transit crate somehow. The wildlife vet carried out the op in the shade of a land rover. ....to give her a chance as there are so few left. She was successfully released with her pack and seen some 15 months later keeping up with her pack at full rattle! All this in a totally wild environment in an area crawling with lions and other potential predators.

Even on 3 legs, give your dog a chance.... I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised at the recovery and you will still have a great dog.

I wish you both the very best.

Sorry to hear of your plight. Only you know what is right in your situation. I don't know what I would do if my young lab was in the same predicament. The cost of fixing the injuries is only a small part of the decision. The long term affect of not being able to work would probable be worse for yourself. You could keep the dog with only 3 legs and still let him work (obviously not as he has been) by laying a trail in your garden for him to follow and have a retrieve of some description.

Tough decision.

I am truly sorry you have had to face this awful decision.

I have often asked myself the question of what I would do if one of mine were to sustain an untenable injury.

You might not want to hear it but I would have had him PTS. He will always be a dog that wants to work, but now can't.

I should go along with that, don't mean I should be very happy about it. Its a hellish thing to happen and I feel for you.

sorry to hear that yesterday my springer cut his tongue on some miscanthus grass blood everywhere got him to the vet 4 stitches and a large bill !. I know its not as bad as yours but I do know of a guy with a 3 legged springer hes out every day and the dog works brill think hard mate youll be surprised good look.

Pal had a very HOT spaniel to hot for him to handle gave it to a wildfowling lad who wasn't bothered about a steady dog just wanted a good swimmer and retriever it jumped over a cliff and smashed up a leg after he had its leg removed he still worked it and it was as hot as ever it had been and still a good swimmer not saying yours would be the same but only you can decide if you should keep it and try it out back in the field and then if its to much for the dog retire it to a spaniel rescue home good luck anyway

Now I cant see a three legged dog making the grade as "a good swimmer" , Swimmer yes but in a tide with a diving duck infront of it or wounded goose sorry but it sounds a bit too fancyfull for me. Seen a three legged greyhound once (one front missing) could run like lightning in a straight line but only if it didn't have to turn, I am belive most three legged quadrupeds struggle with pain and excessive joint wear later in life, didn't Johnny Kingdom of Exmoor have that three legged deer (Bambi) destroyed in the end because of this?

Now I cant see a three legged dog making the grade as "a good swimmer" , Swimmer yes but in a tide with a diving duck infront of it or wounded goose sorry but it sounds a bit too fancyfull for me. Seen a three legged greyhound once (one front missing) could run like lightning in a straight line but only if it didn't have to turn, I am belive most three legged quadrupeds struggle with pain and excessive joint wear later in life, didn't Johnny Kingdom of Exmoor have that three legged deer (Bambi) destroyed in the end because of this?

Kent not into story telling nowt to gain by being fancyfull and yes it could depend on my interpretation of the dog swimming well enough to work but the man kept it all the same. just letting the bloke know of a situation that I witnessed and giving him some food for thought.

My Clumber broke her left foreleg last year on Christmas Day - Luckily i had the funds to pay for the operation and a dozen or so pins later she is fine, albeit a little slower.

The vet at the time told me that if they couldn't save the leg, the dog's coping mechanism would be such that she would stil be able to function with 3 - Particularly if a foreleg.

Good luck with whatever you choose fella.

thank you all for your replies.i decided as I couldn't afford the sugery for him I would rather he be pts but vet not want this.so a compromise which is the best thing for him was to sign him over to the vet.she has booked him in for his surgery so hopefully he will make a good recovery although not with me.i think for the dog this is the best possible outcome although it hurts me that I couldn't do it for him after all he has done for me

thank you all for your replies.i decided as I couldn't afford the sugery for him I would rather he be pts but vet not want this.so a compromise which is the best thing for him was to sign him over to the vet.she has booked him in for his surgery so hopefully he will make a good recovery although not with me.i think for the dog this is the best possible outcome although it hurts me that I couldn't do it for him after all he has done for me

This was the right decision to take someone will get a great family dog and you will not beat yourself up about getting it pts as they become like part of the family. As Delboy would sa you know it makes sense.

I hope you get another dog soon and it is as good as the one you gave a second chance to.

Sam

Insurance is a wonderful thing and would have saved you a lot of heartache in this case , but I guess you realize that now .

+1.

If anyones in a position where they can't afford a large bill, then although you may pay more over the life of the animal, for the small monthly payments, it takes all of the pain out of a situation like this. The only decision that would have needed to be made would be how quickly to operate to fix the leg. I wouldn't have a dog or cat uninsured now.