**** day today

hmr

thank you all for your replies.i decided as I couldn't afford the sugery for him I would rather he be pts but vet not want this.so a compromise which is the best thing for him was to sign him over to the vet.she has booked him in for his surgery so hopefully he will make a good recovery although not with me.i think for the dog this is the best possible outcome although it hurts me that I couldn't do it for him after all he has done for me

So is the vet going to do what you couldn't afford then rehome him or do a patch up job? Terrible situation to be in, you have my sympathy.

+1.

If anyones in a position where they can't afford a large bill, then although you may pay more over the life of the animal, for the small monthly payments, it takes all of the pain out of a situation like this. The only decision that would have needed to be made would be how quickly to operate to fix the leg. I wouldn't have a dog or cat uninsured now.

I agree where one dog doubles as a family pet, where you have two or more dogs insurance simply doesn't make financial sense. I also think insurance is the cause if many animals having a falsely prolonged life that they cannot fulfil.

Been in this position myself 5 years ago, so I know what you have gone through. You've made a decision that is right for you and the dog and I know that would not have been easy for you mate.

In my case a young bitch broke her back leg and from looking at the break I thought that was the end of her as a working dog. My instant thought was to have the vet put her to sleep as she would not be able to work. I was taken aback when the vet offered to take her on and keep her as a pet himself. He wanted to fuse the bone which would probably have to be broken again and fused several times as the dog matured and developed. This would involve a lot of discomfort and cage rest for the dog and at a cost of around 10k. I suggested that we take the problem away and remove the whole back leg and I would be happy to give her a chance.

20 mins after the op the little bitch was up and running around as if nothing had happened. Over the next 2 months I walked her on the lead and progressed to letting her run with the other dogs. I noticed as her stamina improved she was very keen to enter cover, work hedges and even jump ditches with ease. I started to use her with the Harris Hawks, flushing pheasants and rabbits for them, she never tired and faced any cover. The following season I took her beating once a week and now she is a regular part of the beating team and is out 2 or 3 times a week in the season. Surprisingly she's one of the quickest and hard hunting spaniels I've had, I suppose she's carrying a little less weight :)

I am glad I gave her the chance to prove my initial thoughts wrong, she's turned out to be a cracking little dog and I no longer think of her as a three legged dog, she's another working dog in the kennel that I am happy to take out and work. The issue of joint wear will probably arise later in her life and decisions will have to be made at that point, until then she can enjoy a life doing what she was bred to do and clearly enjoys.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.290125921097142.65272.289866197789781&type=1

Cheers

Edited by MadSpringer

sitsinhedges,the vet is keeping the dog herself after the surgery.cant wish for a better outcome for him.

Yeh, that does sound like a result for the dog at least but must be sickening for you to know you had to give him away :/

In all honesty I doubt I would spend several grand on a dog, you've got to keep things real as much as it hurts.

Yeh, that does sound like a result for the dog at least but must be sickening for you to know you had to give him away :/

In all honesty I doubt I would spend several grand on a dog, you've got to keep things real as much as it hurts.

Been in this position myself 5 years ago, so I know what you have gone through. You've made a decision that is right for you and the dog and I know that would not have been easy for you mate.

In my case a young bitch broke her back leg and from looking at the break I thought that was the end of her as a working dog. My instant thought was to have the vet put her to sleep as she would not be able to work. I was taken aback when the vet offered to take her on and keep her as a pet himself. He wanted to fuse the bone which would probably have to be broken again and fused several times as the dog matured and developed. This would involve a lot of discomfort and cage rest for the dog and at a cost of around 10k. I suggested that we take the problem away and remove the whole back leg and I would be happy to give her a chance.

20 mins after the op the little bitch was up and running around as if nothing had happened. Over the next 2 months I walked her on the lead and progressed to letting her run with the other dogs. I noticed as her stamina improved she was very keen to enter cover, work hedges and even jump ditches with ease. I started to use her with the Harris Hawks, flushing pheasants and rabbits for them, she never tired and faced any cover. The following season I took her beating once a week and now she is a regular part of the beating team and is out 2 or 3 times a week in the season. Surprisingly she's one of the quickest and hard hunting spaniels I've had, I suppose she's carrying a little less weight :)

I am glad I gave her the chance to prove my initial thoughts wrong, she's turned out to be a cracking little dog and I no longer think of her as a three legged dog, she's another working dog in the kennel that I am happy to take out and work. The issue of joint wear will probably arise later in her life and decisions will have to be made at that point, until then she can enjoy a life doing what she was bred to do and clearly enjoys.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.290125921097142.65272.289866197789781&type=1

Cheers

Nice story and you have beautiful looking dogs.

My view and it's only my view , people have different circumstances and my heart goes out to HMR but i would sell my guns before i would have my dogs PTS if she had the misfortune of a broken leg.

I am glad your dog has found a new home and has been given a chance not an easy decision my any means.

Thanks

Neil

I agree where one dog doubles as a family pet, where you have two or more dogs insurance simply doesn't make financial sense. I also think insurance is the cause if many animals having a falsely prolonged life that they cannot fulfil.

To be honest, I have 2 dogs and a cat all insured. 40 quid a month roughly, and while you can argue that its almost 500 a year, just one small op for any of them could easily cost that.

I am currently going through a situation with one of the dogs where, because I had changed companies recently and was in the initial period when you can't claim, **** law dictated that a tumour suddenly appeared which has subsequently been removed. We are still going through the after care and so far the cost has been circa 1400 pounds. I will contain to pay until he's fixed or unfixable, it's not a consideration to draw a line as far as cost is concerned. All the time I'm earning I'll keep paying.

All it has done is reinforce the importance of having current insurance all the time. Lesson learned.

My view and it's only my view , people have different circumstances and my heart goes out to HMR but i would sell my guns before I would have my dogs PTS if she had the misfortune of a broken leg.

I am glad your dog has found a new home and has been given a chance not an easy decision my any means.

Thanks

Neil

I've already totalled up what the guns, Landie and motorbike will fetch if necessary. With you all the way on that one, material things can be re-bought later.

To be honest, I have 2 dogs and a cat all insured. 40 quid a month roughly, and while you can argue that its almost 500 a year, just one small op for any of them could easily cost that.

All it has done is reinforce the importance of having current insurance all the time. Lesson learned.

Who are you insured with I pay £40 a month jus for my puppy??

I can perhaps see your point if you just look upon a dog as a working tool , but every body is different and I guess financial sense depends on A, your personal finances and B the value you put on your dog

I pay Circa £30 a month for two dogs at the moment which I think is quite reasonable in the grand scheme of things.

I cannot see where insurance should prolong a life that should not be , that is down to the owner , I would guess far more lives are cut prematurely short due to lack of insurance.

I think many vet's advice as regards the best course of action depends on whether there is an insurance policy in place.

Each to their own, I have working dogs bred to work and that is what they live to do. I have also owned a pet dog that badly broke a foreleg as a pup that lived to the age of ten so I have seen and lived with the consequences. The financial element is a consideration for me but not a limiting factor in my own circumstances.

I have my opinion based on experience but that is all it is, my opinion.

Who are you insured with I pay £40 a month jus for my puppy??

All are insured with different companies, the dogs are 6 and 7, the cat 11, the cat costs as much as the dogs due to her age. To be honest I did the comparison sites and then looked at levels of cover etc, didn't buy cheapest at any point but didn't pay more than 15 a month for any of them.

Fenboys £30 a month for two dogs is probably similar but maybe slightly higher cover levels.

Personally I would have had the leg removed and kept the dog.

About 6 years ago, my dog had her jaw smashed to pieces by a horse which cost me just under 2K to fix. I sold my car to help pay for it. But I didnt question the operation or cost for 1 second

It seems like the dog is going to have a good life now as a pet so best thing all round.

Hi sorry to hear your sad story and I hope all works out for you and your lovely dog.I was faced with same issue last summer when we found our beautiful 3rd old bull mastiff had cancer in her rear leg. We gave ourselves a week to decide on amputation or pts decided to give her a chance sadly she died during the op we were so gutted vet was very upset to lose her too. Huge vets bill no insurance just finished paying it off yesterday!!! But you know what I know I made the right decision to give her a chance. We got a new lab puppy never had one before and now I'm gundog training him and new chapter started often think about Dolly and I'm sure I would do same again for any dog I just looked at her loyal eyes and I had my answer.

Wishing you and your dog the best go with your heart.

HMR really sorry to hear of your predicament.

I was in the very same predicament a few years back when my spaniel did the same the vet told me the same but the costs were even higher as it was Christmas eve.

I decided to have my boy put to sleep as I did not think it was fair to him as a very energetic hard working spaniel. He would have been beside himself to see me go out with the other dogs and leave him behind.

I hope he recovers ok .

Very moving storys indeed - I am training my cocker at the moment, she's 1yr old. I would never go without insurance, I had my moneys worth with my last dog! The thing is, doing what we do as a hobby increases the risk of things happening to our dogs on shoot days. Putting a dog down because it has a bad injury and can no longer work just doesn't sit right with me. After all

for some of us they are part of the family. I really feel for those of you that have had to go through that situation.

HMR really sorry to hear of your predicament.

I was in the very same predicament a few years back when my spaniel did the same the vet told me the same but the costs were even higher as it was Christmas eve.

I decided to have my boy put to sleep as I did not think it was fair to him as a very energetic hard working spaniel. He would have been beside himself to see me go out with the other dogs and leave him behind.

I hope he recovers ok .

he had 7 hrs of surgery but came through ok.5 weeks cage rest now then see