Practice Grounds near Bristol?

drewster

Thanks for the info guys, they all look like top venues and well worth a visit! I guess the closest to where we'll be living (Alveston) are the Treetops and Lady's Wood Schools. I should be moving down in a few weeks all being well, so looking forward to trying them out!

I heard Mendip was closing down or already had. Treetops has gone down hill, rarely changes the layout and the place is a mess. As for Lady's Wood, they don't advertise their prices so I hope you've got deep pockets :whistling:

www.bristolclayshooting.com is well worth a visit though.

www.valleyclayshoot.co.uk isn't a bad shoot either and they have a high tower.

Edited by MartynGT4

Shot at Mendip the Sunday after Xmas, no sign of it shutting and it was very busy. Yes the shop has gone, however they are still selling cartridges there and other items can be ordered in. I was there last Saturday and Vernon was talking to customers about various pieces of kit they wanted that he can order in.

Lady's Wood now offer caddied rounds for practice, the price list is on the website.

Found the prices eventually, not exactly cheap at £40/hour for the caddie (or £20 per gun for shared caddie up to 6 guns) and 30p per clay (min 100 bird) though. Gets cheaper (£30/hr + 20p/clay) if you're a member but that's £395 per year for an individual! So a 1.5 hour 100 bird round is likely to cost a non-member £90, shoot a bit slower and you'll be looking at £110 and of course that doesn't include cartridges!

http://www.ladyswood.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Ladys-Wood-Price-List-Effective-01-11-13-LW01.pdf

http://www.ladyswood.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Ladys-Wood-Membership-Prices-Effective-01-11-13-LW02.pdf

The facilities and service will no doubt be excellent but I'd rather go to www.bristolclayshooting.com, pay £25 for a challenging, fun and relaxed 100 bird round in great company but hey that's just me.

Edited by MartynGT4

Shot at Mendip the Sunday after Xmas, no sign of it shutting and it was very busy. Yes the shop has gone, however they are still selling cartridges there and other items can be ordered in. I was there last Saturday and Vernon was talking to customers about various pieces of kit they wanted that he can order in.

Good to hear they haven't closed, this was the thread I remembered: -

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/254149-mendip-shooting-ground/

Edited by MartynGT4

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the replies guys,

I know this is a bit of a late response but we have now moved down to Alveston and we're just letting the dust settle. We've finally got internet as of yesterday and so its good to be back on PW, and now I'm desperate to bust some clays somewhere!

I've had a chance to look around for clay grounds and spoken to the neighbours who luckily know some shooting folk and mentioned Huntingford too. I'll be trying out Huntingford this weekend hopefully. Went to Kingswood last weekend before realising they weren't shooting! Nice drive through some beautiful country though. I had a look at Lady's Wood too and while 20p per clay for the 'Pay and play' option seems very reasonable I don't think I'm ready to lay down £395 for membership at the moment. That might change depending on how desperate I get for practice!

I would give Bristol Clay Shoot a go at Huntingford, the guy that runs it can be a bit cruel with the layout but everyone is friendly until you beat their score!

Seconded. It's a good and often challenging layout. I'm not sure if the Kingswood ground is still shooting (run by the same crowd), as they had some noise complaint issues a few years back.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the offer, I'll pop in as soon as I get my license re-issued. The police came around last night to have a look at the cabinet which they were happy with, and offered to take my license to get it re-issued by Gloucestershire police as it was originally issued by Staffordshire. Should take 1-2 weeks max apparently.

Thunderbird, I spoke to the gentleman that runs the Kingswood shoot last weekend (Neil?) as I had turned up there and there was no-one around and he mentioned that all dates for shoots were on the website. It does look like there are no shoots at Kingswood over the next couple of weeks, only Huntingford shoots, but he didn't mention anything on the phone about Kingswood being closed...