Proximity to footpath - Opinions?

Longchalk

I've recently gained a new permission, and have been walking over it this week, getting the lie of the land. Unfortunately much of it is not very accessible on foot if carrying a lot of kit, or requires leaving your car unattended by side of the main road, which I'm none too keen on. One rape field in particular though looks very promising though. It's accessible from a quiet lane, is a sensible size, and slopes gently down to a thin copse of oak & ash. Both times I've looked at it there have been a lot of birds feeding on the ground, and coming & going from the trees.

The problem is, that on the other side of the trees, and a small scrubby patch, runs a very busy footpath/cycle-path/bridleway. Ideally, the natural set up point would be around 60-70 yards away from the path, separated by the trees, and facing in completely the opposite direction. But whilst there are no safety issues from this, I am a bit uncomfortable about gun-fire that close to riders and walkers. I don't want to spook anyone's dogs or horse. Plus, it would only take a couple of ill-informed or just plain malicious complaints, that some was " shooting by the footpath" and the Old Bill would be along.

Am I being overly sensitive? I have express permission from the farmer to shoot that field, who could otherwise always put a gas gun in it I guess, but it just seems to me that we get enough bad press as it is, without giving anyone further cause for complaint.

One solution might be to flag off the lower part of the field they have been feeding on, and put a pattern and a couple of flappers on a little ridge, higher up the field, where there is a lone oak they also seem to like. This would put my hide around 150-200 yards from the path, which I am happier defending if challenged. But without much experience of flagging off, I'm not sure how well this would work.

Thoughts anyone?

Edited by Longchalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the benefits of owning a fully moderated 20 gauge is that it reduces the negative effects of shooting near to the general public significantly and opens up many opportunities. Sometimes due to the lie of the land it's easier to shoot across a footpath and have a good view of what's coming either way and stop when you need to but if it is busy you'll not get much sport. As long as you're safe people need to realise you have as much right to be there as them.

That would be good idea in other circumstances TR1, I like it! But this a National cycle-path. Major cross country route. Cinder topped, raised on an embankment and fenced off from my land, but like the bloody M1 for cyclists and dog walkers. Wouldn't be practical to sign it I don't think.

You must never shoot across a footpath, it is illegal to shoot within 15 yards of a path as it is a public highway. Be careful !

I think you perhaps could look that up and revise that statement - in many circumstances you could stand on a footpath and shoot from it perfectly legally if you so wished.

I am not suggesting the OP does this and I think he is being very sensible with his concerns.

I had a similar situation and made some laminated signs that I woul fit at the entrance to the field saying, Crop protection being carried out , you are safe if you adhere to the correct footpath. Most people would not cross the field the ones that did I stopped shooting to stop aggregation .Never had a complaint.

Sometimes a footpath will go diagonally across a field and cut it in two and the only practical way to shoot it is to set up near one of the furthest corners and be aware of any walkers entering from the corners to your right and left and stop shooting when they do. Obviously the field needs to be quite large and preferably little used for this to be practical but otherwise the field could never be shot at all.

is there any telegraph poles in the field? you could set a hide around that and have more options to shoot away from people.

theres no harm in flagging a section of field on the day you shoot it can work well.

whatever you decide make the farmer aware of your concerns and let him/her know when you plan to shoot [incase any complaints are made].

we have some similar issues near horse livery yards etc. keep it safe and you will be ok.

respect to you for considering others.

Sorry Bunnage but a footpath and a highway are two totally different things maybe its time you had a read and refreshed the wording of the laws we need to adhere to while shooting and im not having a go before you kick off just an idea.

The ops problem is a cycle path anyway.

Personally id give as much room as i could and place temporary signs on the fence of the path lets face it no one in there right mind is going to shoot towards it.

It is still strictly illegal to shoot across it whatever sitsinhedges says ! You would not shoot across a road would you sitsinhedges, oh yes you would I suppose !

It's not helpful to quote your opinion as a statement of fact. People will very quickly learn to ignore advice and guidance you try to give as it could steer people down the wrong path (regardless of whether people want to shoot over it or not haha).

Excerpt from BASC's information around law and shooting...

SHOOTING NEAR RIGHTS OF WAY (E.G. FOOTPATHS & BRIDLEWAYS)

When the footpath runs across private land the ownership of the land and sporting rights are unaltered. Therefore a person with the shooting/sporting rights may shoot on or over footpaths on their land equally to public having the right to walk (to pass and re-pass) along it as a means of communication. So the public and the shooters have a concurrent right to the footpath and it is up to both parties to not obstruct the other.

However if you shoot over footpaths, only do so if you have permission to drop shot over the land on the other side. To fire a bullet or shot onto land that you have no right to shoot into or over is ‘constructive trespass’. Whilst this is a civil matter BASC strongly advises not to do this. It is also a basic safety precaution not to shoot into cover where you cannot be sure what your projectile(s) will hit. It is especially important to apply this when shooting near footpaths obscured by hedges or foliage. It is good practice to only shoot across footpaths where you can see approaching users from a long way off and be certain you will not cause danger or alarm. Please note that in the case of air weapons it is a criminal offence to fire an air pellet outside the boundary of your permitted premises.

Edited by Therealchucknorris

Come now kids, let's play nicely shall we... No call for slating each other because we have different grips on "the facts".

As the OP, my concern is nothing to do with shooting across a byway, or people straying off it, or anything like that. I can't get at them and they can't get at me, and we are separated by a hedge, a ditch, a railway embankment and a bloody great fence. My concern is that to townies, the un-initiated, and pain-in-the-**** antis, gunfire can sound a lot closer than it is, and makes folk get all ansty for no good reason. Plus there's a genuine concern about startling horse riders.

The BASC advice was helpful, thanks. I've just emailed the landowner, and told him my concerns about possible confrontation at that spot, and asked what his preference is for shooting that field. I reckon I shall play safe however, and forgo the best hide spot, to err on the side of good neighbourliness.

Edited by Longchalk

I am sure it is 50 feet and not metres from the centre of the road/high way.

yep that's all , 50 ft /15m

In England & Wales it is an offence without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to

discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway which consists of

or comprises a carriageway, and in consequence a user of the carriageway is

injured, interrupted or endangered. [section 161(2) of the Highways Act 1980 as

amended].

Edited by stevo

Dear mr BUNNAGE,

if im ever in a position to ask for advice on a matter regarding pigeons, pigeon shooting, fieldsports or the countryside and the law, and i choose to ask the question on this forum and take advantage of the vast amount of 'genuine' knowledge and massive amount of 'genuine' experience here, do me and everyone else a favour and please, please dont post, because you clearly haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about!

If your plan is to deliberately misinform or try and cause problems for the shooting men and women on here then, if you haven't figured it out yet........ It WILL NOT WORK!

If you genuinely think you are offering realistic meaningful truthful advice and information then i suggest you go away, read some books, watch some dvds, go out with an experienced shooter then rejoin (under a different name) and start again!

Yours extremely sincerely,

Carpentermark.

It is still strictly illegal to shoot across it whatever sitsinhedges says ! You would not shoot across a road would you sitsinhedges, oh yes you would I suppose !

done it many many times on a pheasant shoot, it is perfectly legal.

KW

You must never shoot across a footpath, it is illegal to shoot within 15 yards of a path as it is a public highway. Be careful !

:whistling::whistling::whistling::no::no:

I am sure it is 50 feet and not metres from the centre of the road/high way.

:hmm::hmm::hmm: Please expand on this

You're talking rubbish again!

:yes::yes: :yes: :yes::stupid:

:hmm::hmm::hmm::rolleyes:

Do some research and come back when you've got something accurate and worthwhile to say Mr Farmer, instead of spouting off inaccurate rubbish as fact.

:good::good: :good:

Edited by DaveK