Proximity to footpath - Opinions?

Longchalk

This is where we exist in a utopian world where we all respect each other? I'm not sure how many shooters are going to be able to `educate` a walker/rambler/rider when they take offence when we are dressed in Realtree (or similar) and carrying a shotgun/firearm. I would love to educate people but there is a time and place and a possibly heated debate in the middle of nowhere might not be the best place...

The countryside is plenty big enough to shoot places that are a reasonable distance from possible human interaction.

Haha, yes I'm talking about shooting over the free love highway ;)

I get what you're saying but think that we're bowing down too much by reducing our shooting footprint until we're far out of sight. People in the country should be aware of what needs to take place in order to protect crops and livestock. Roy Lupton gave a good account of himself to an irate dog walker when he was on a deer cull (viewable on YouTube) and I've had a couple of similar conversations when after foxes near a friend's smallholding.

I wouldn't advocate approaching anyone with a gun or an aggressive tone but there has to be a line otherwise we may as well just dig trenches or shoot from hides in the middle of Norfolk. We can't always help if some control needs to happen close to public footpaths (they seem to be everywhere) but if you can demonstrate that you're not shooting over it and you've taken the appropriate precautions then I'd be happy to enter into a conversation if someone asked what the heck I thought I was playing at.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read all of the above posts, I think I will stick to my proven method. It is one of the problems of shooting on the urban fringe, but, so far has worked for me. I think that most of us know the Law of Trespass is non existent, but to Joe Public the 'right to roam' is their divine right. They will tell a complete and utter pack of lies to achieve their agenda. One only has to look back at the reported number of Shooter / Police confrontations, thankfully becoming less, due in no small part to BASC educating Police Forces on what a Pigeon Shooter looks like and poses no threat whatsoever.

Perhaps I have been fortunate or perhaps the local police are a bit more clued up or maybe its because I have a reasonable relationship with them but I have never had the police side with walkers etc when they were wrong and being bloody minded. Unless you use your allowance given in law, maybe talk to the police first, you will eventually lose the right to.

I find the same thing, have had them called out on me twice on me. not for doing anything wrong, but by 2 separate people: one a tree hugger and the other only liked to hunt with dogs and said shooting was cruel! after a quick chat with the police it was all resolved and never had a problem since(touch wood) ;D

You must never shoot across a footpath, it is illegal to shoot within 15 yards of a path as it is a public highway. Be careful !

A footpath is not a public highway it is a footpath and doesn't the law say, specifically, 50 feet from the centre of a public highway? A footpath is still the farmers property it is merely a public right of way. Personally, obviously assuming you're being safe, I'd just put some signs up to make people aware.

When you have van loads of idiots bringing their precious kids and their blasted motor bikes to ride roughshod across fields, including crops (yes, I am aware of Crim. Dam.) and footpaths. I somehow do not think putting up a sign warning of shooting is going to cut it !!!!

A footpath is not a public highway it is a footpath and doesn't the law say, specifically, 50 feet from the centre of a public highway? A footpath is still the farmers property it is merely a public right of way. Personally, obviously assuming you're being safe, I'd just put some signs up to make people aware.

Your definition is actually wrong as a Right of Way is a Public Highway 'passable on foot' but subject to and enjoying certain aspects of the law as stated in the Highways Act 1980. E.G. The landowner may not close a Right Of Way, it can only be done as a process set out in the Highways Act

I totally agree that we shouldn't bow down to the less informed but just be aware that whether we are `right` or not, it won't get solved in the middle of a field.

I have no problem trying to educate people but there have been incidents of people calling the police to report a `gunman`. The police have to respond proportionately and that will mean an ARV and probably a helicopter if available. I would love to say that common sense will prevail but would rather avoid that scenario in the first place.

If you have sensible local police then I'm really pleased for you. Plenty of coppers (even the armed ones), don't know shooting laws at all well.

And well done to BASC for educating the police et al as it does help.

We can argue the legal points but a 999 call for a `man with a gun` will inconvenience your day one way or another.

I'm not even sure what the solution is.

I totally agree that we shouldn't bow down to the less informed but just be aware that whether we are `right` or not, it won't get solved in the middle of a field.

I have no problem trying to educate people but there have been incidents of people calling the police to report a `gunman`. The police have to respond proportionately and that will mean an ARV and probably a helicopter if available. I would love to say that common sense will prevail but would rather avoid that scenario in the first place.

If you have sensible local police then I'm really pleased for you. Plenty of coppers (even the armed ones), don't know shooting laws at all well.

And well done to BASC for educating the police et al as it does help.

We can argue the legal points but a 999 call for a `man with a gun` will inconvenience your day one way or another.

I'm not even sure what the solution is.

I would agree with you but we have had locally a farmer in his own field the subject of helicopter and ARV response because a member of the public saw a man with a gun and was 'well meaning'.

The scale of response is inappropriate and wasteful. The police need to have procedures and processes to respond more appropriately. I am sure a person reporting a bomb/murder/robbery falsely would get a stern response and not do it again. Pandering to ill-informed people is not helping understand shooting as an inevitable sport in the countryside. We know what we are supposed to do and why - why arent ramblers/walkers accurately clued up on shooting? They are certainly very informed about the Highways Act 1980.

If these issues are not confronted, procedures will not change, you will just asked to call in anytime you go shooting, so the police can decide in the laziest of approaches when to respond with Helicopters and ARV's. There should already be a 2 tier approach but events in Cumbria caught them napping.

I can see all shooters having to have a GPS device fitted under their skin if we do not insist on our REASONABLE rights.

This forum does make me laugh at times. I thought i could talk some rubbish at times but this thread...lmao.

this comes up time and time again and every time a few will get it wrong.

I correct answer would be to ask you FAO, ok they may have to look up the true definitions but please, dont listen the 'hear say' on here. It is the holder at risk of getting things wrong.. If you dont know the law then get put guns away and ask the right people. not forum members that obviously do not know the correct law.

In England & Wales it is an offence without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to
discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway which consists of
or comprises a carriageway, and in consequence a user of the carriageway is
injured, interrupted or endangered. [section 161(2) of the Highways Act 1980 as
amended]. It is important to remember that the discharge of a firearm is not
prohibited in itself. It must also be proved that there was an injury, or that
someone’s passage was interrupted or interfered with e.g. they have been forced to
make a detour.
For the purposes of Section 161 (2) of the Highways Act 1980 (as amended), a
‘highway’ is restricted to a public right of way for the passage of vehicles and does
not include footpaths, cycle tracks or bridleways. Therefore the fifty feet rule
described above does not apply to rights of ways that cross private lands e.g.
footpaths.

Please read and understand the above.

MODS can it be a sticky at the top please as someone will get it very wrong listening to 'hear say'.

Your definition is actually wrong as a Right of Way is a Public Highway 'passable on foot' but subject to and enjoying certain aspects of the law as stated in the Highways Act 1980. E.G. The landowner may not close a Right Of Way, it can only be done as a process set out in the Highways Act

That doesn't actually sound right or you're being selective in what you quote.

You forget to mention that the only rights of passage on a footpath are from point A to point B with no stopping or leaving the path.

Edited by DaveK

Haha. I can't see anywhere that I have insulted anyone. Just stated the facts and not hearsay. If someone wishes to take it personal then there isn't much I can do about that lol.

Come on matey :rolleyes:

You only have to disagree with some people to insult them. Even an emoticon can be insulting (see page 2) :whistling: