Lakenheath Clay Centre closed

ozzy518

End of an era. I knew that the ground was having issues with the owners of the land, Elvedon Estates, but on looking on their web page it's confirmed. Lakenheath clay target centre is closed til further notice.

Apparently Elveden Estates state that they intend to redevelop the clubhouse that burned down and reopen the venue as a shooting ground.

Spose I'll have to go to Cambridge Gun club til Lakenheath reopens now

Always found them pretty miserable there!

Looking forward to a new operator. If it's anything like their other sites it will be good!

Yes, couldn't agree more, I've shot there since the early 80's, well before the now departed ground owner took over, it was a good ground, with loads of potential, but sadly lacking somebody who knew how to put on a good Sporting layout.

Let's hope a sensible Sporting shooter will now take over..??

Cat.

Yes, couldn't agree more, I've shot there since the early 80's, well before the now departed ground owner took over, it was a good ground, with loads of potential, but sadly lacking somebody who knew how to put on a good Sporting layout.

Let's hope a sensible Sporting shooter will now take over..??

Cat.

I agree, it had the potential but there was no imagination when it came to putting on good targets.

will be sadly missed

P U was and is a lovely bloke he wears his heart on his sleeve and tells you like it is, i wonder if the people on this thread would ever say it to his face

Well, I'm sure that plenty of people did offer constructive criticism of the way the ground was run, but on the strenght of the reply they received, decided to spend their money elsewhere.

Even the Yanks seemed to lose interest in the place in it's final years.

Cat.

Even the Yanks seemed to lose interest in the place in it's final years.

Cat.

I believe PU ******** the base off to the point they also wanted it closed, as well as Elveden Estates ;).

As someone else that has shot there for over 20 years, the last time about a month ago (when more than half the traps were out of order) to be honest I am glad it has finally been put out of its misery.

I think it's a shame that Lakenheath has closed, I started clay shooting there and also bought my first gun from PU. I agree that towards the end there was a lack of money invested in the place (replacing knackered traps etc), and targets had remained the same for some considerable time but to be fair to PU he knew he was effectively winding up his business - I'm sure that most of us would have played things exactly the same if we were in his shoes.

I really do hope that it reopens soon - it's a good venue with great potential..

Edited by Bloggs

• 1 month later...

I miss the old place. It was so handy for a bit of practice. I got in touch with the estate office http://www.elveden.com/

who confirmed they want to open it up as a clay ground but there is "much to do" and as yet there are no timescales as to the re-opening.

I was told more information /news would be posted on the website as soon as this becomes available.

Edited by Whitebridges

Living in Newmarket it was well handy for me, even without the clubhouse as Walkers snack bar was nearby for a Bacon roll or even the mighty breakfast Baguette. Just dont use the lay by after dark...... :ninja:

I drove around the old place the other week whilst at work, all the stands are gone, as has the caravan thing. Just a pile of empty gas bottles. Really hope that Elveden get things up and running. Planning permission is in place, as are utilities. I wouldnt be surprised if they are waiting for someone to take it on leasehold as before.

Unless of course they just sell it to the Yanks opposite and build USAF housing on it.

Edited by ozzy518