ford ranger 2003-2006

mike-b

right im looking to replace my old hilux i sold eairlier in the month, ive been and viewed 15+ lux's since then all of which have been dogs and stupidly overpriced! the exporters have made it near imposable to find a good condition fair priced one im aware a lux will cost more than most other pick-ups and im fine with that but its taking the mick these days! so after hudreds of miles of traveling ive decided to start looking at rangers/mazda pickups as well as its costing a fortune traveling to look at buckets!! anybody have and first hand experences with them common faults bad points etc? I get the impression that the main issues are diffs and gearbox's?? what are peoples views

Edited by mike-b

I bought a 2004 ranger earlier this year couldn't be happier with it, took me a while to get what I wanted, plenty for sale with high mileage and bit overpriced. I paid £3500 with 43000 miles on clock, new set of tyres and a good service happy days!! This is My second ranger they are easy to maintain never had a major problem can't go wrong with them..

I bought a 2004 ranger earlier this year couldn't be happier with it, took me a while to get what I wanted, plenty for sale with high mileage and bit overpriced. I paid £3500 with 43000 miles on clock, new set of tyres and a good service happy days!! This is My second ranger they are easy to maintain never had a major problem can't go wrong with them..

thats a cracking price all that i have viewed have been 2004-2005 but arround 100k for around that price! no gearbox issue at all?? that seems to be the main thing people have come back to to me with but i think its mainly with trucks that tow a lot? im going to view 2 tomorow one thunder in north walsham at 108k and a bog standard commercial in brooke at 91k so we will see!

Edited by mike-b

I've got a 53 plate thunder DC with 115k on the clock and is a great truck, I paid £3300 for it and it's probably still worth that, would have another in a heart beat, cam belts are an easy change apparently , really could do with 6 gears as rpm is a bit high at 60mph but most older pick ups are probably the same due to the nature for which they intended

I've got a 53 plate thunder DC with 115k on the clock and is a great truck, I paid £3300 for it and it's probably still worth that, would have another in a heart beat, cam belts are an easy change apparently , really could do with 6 gears as rpm is a bit high at 60mph but most older pick ups are probably the same due to the nature for which they intended

yeah aparently there low geared for towing the next model up the mk3 i think it is was re designed and has a higher geared gearbox but isnt great for towing the newist one has got it sorted so ive read ! thats why the mk1 and 2 rangers are considerd thristy but like you say all pickups of that age are the same

I got an 05 Ranger Super Cab, in good condition, service history and a truckman on the back, full set of new all terain tyres, 120,000 miles...had it 12 months, been a brilliant truck....paid £2,600 for it..well chuffed up to now :good:

you lot find some bargains dont you!!!

I've a 53 plate which is "resting" at the moment biggest problem with it, was loosing power at 2500rpm eventually advised a filter in the fuel pump at fault, changed injectors and fuel filter, also despite no warning light on dash, failed to charge new battery ending with difficulty when starting, also rust hole in back axle leaking oil, plus a couple of other problems, it had done approx 100,000 when bought and took a couple of years for problems to show. good luck with your future buy

Never heard any bad reports about them. The engine is a basic diesel engine designed by Mazda really strong engined just keep oil changed regular and will run forever. My brother has one and it has been faultless and he spends most of his time pulling a trailer with a mini digger on or a twin axled trailer with logs on. It's still on original clutch and had no gearbox problems and it's done 100,000 miles. I think they are a sensible buy and good value for money. Best of luck with your purchase.

well just viewed the 55 plate ranger and what a joke. "the norfolk car company" in brooke nr poringland is, ive never met a bunch of ****** like it! which is a shame as it was quite a nice truck, to start with i turn up to the adress given spot on time to find that it is a private house...... ok i thought so knocked on the door and a 17 yr old lad answerd looking very confused probably that he never knew 0930 even existed so i asked " have i come to the right place to view a for ranger?" no mate they have moved its 2 miles back down the road and slamed the door, so i went to the new adress i had been given to a industrial estate and no "norfolk car company" n any of the signs?? so i ring the land line number up and a very tired sounding man answerd, i said ive booked in to view a ranger this morning but cant find you, only to get told sorry im in thiland you need to go back to the house you started at and apoligised about the lad, so back i went i turned up knockd back on the door no answer, rang him again (pretty sure i woke him back up) he said sorry again my business partner will be right with you! so about 5 mins went by and the lad re apered and he said sorry nobody told me about a car viewing today i thought you were a ***** il go get it! he then came out of a barn out the back and said right follow me back down the industrial estate the man showing you arround is down there! i couldnt believe it?? so against my better judgement i followed to a plain unit with 3 cars inside no plates on and looking like they had seen better days! where the lad chucked the keys to the new bloke who looked like a cross between a ***** and somebody from the only way is essex! he said "alright" and walked off so i started my look around the truck it was a bit more rusty than in the pics but it was in overall good nick so asked 20 mins later when he cam back i said so tell me a bit about the truck what did the previous owner use it for etc?? he then went on a 5 min boast about how cheap he got it for how fit the previous owners 19 yr old daughter was and how they had just used it for and i quote " chucking **** in the back and tearing arround there meadow" i couldnt believe my ears he said but its fine its a pick-up thats what there build for! then i said right can you take me for a test drive id like to hear it running! "sure" he said "lets discuss a price" i laughed and said lets see how the test drive goes first he said no chance do you think im a mug???? im way to busy today to waste my time in taking people on taxi rides! we will agree a price and shake then il take you out?? at this point he had another custmer waiting to view a 15k merc, i said no cahnce am i agreeing a price before ive seen how it dirves buddy?? he said well you had better stop wasting my time the run along!!!! i laughed at him and walked away as did the other customer who had overherd him! to which he then said thats it you walk off to to the new customer??????????/ thats a total over over 18k he lost out on today??? sorry for the rant i just couldnt believe it from a dealer? i strongly recomend people stay away from this dealer ! here is a link to there website DONT BUY FROM THEM!!!!!

http://www.norfolkcarcompany.co.uk/

now off to look at a thunder fingers crossed i dont get the same reception!!!

I am on my fourth hilux at the moment would not have anything else.however I needed a cheap truck for the daughter and got a 02 mazda d/cab had it for just over three years now it has never gone straight through a mot as my hilux's have all done and this year was the worst needed a new rear axle as some problem with the diff so £1200 later it is on the road again.problem you are going to have is the price of used is far to high due to export and people hanging onto them longer.on the whole the ranger and mazda are not bad trucks just wont stand the test of time like a Toyota

yeah his name was glen actually in his late 30's i would say eairly 40's prehaps! anyway i ended up buying the thunder it needs a few little bits doing but nothing major, tiny bit of rust on the bottom of one of the rear doors and a propshaft uj joint il do a cambelt as well just in case! il pop pics up tomorow!