Sloe gin measurements

stevethevanman

• 2 weeks later...

I use the same weight of sloes, sugar and gin. then leave it for about 3 months and taste. If you think it needs more sugar then put some in. If you put it all in at the start you can't take it out.

I have some on the go at the moment with some cinnamon bark in it.

Also some summer fruits vodka with vanilla pods,

Ello,

my recipe - Gin - 500ml (any even cheap stuff)

Sloes - 375Gm (cut, pricked or just frozen to split the skin)

Sugar - 200Gm (caster or granulated)

Leave 3-4 months turning for until all sugar disolved then once a week for 2 months, leave to settle fully then syphon out leaving all sediment in the bottom plus a lil liquid. I use a demijon - this year did 6 litres which is now maturing, tried it at xmas, very nice. Once you have the demijon syphoned dont disgard the sloes or sediment just add the same quantites of sugar and alcohol again but thia time with whisky, Brandy or vodka (agian add cinnamon or vanilla to taste if you want) and repeat process - very nice if you like whisky that is - only use cheaper stuff, expensive whisky is to be savoured over ice :lol:

Once done or you cant be bothered doing more sloe spirits just make a pie with the de-pipped sloe, not tried it but alledgedly very potent and nice :good:

Ello,

my recipe - Gin - 500ml (any even cheap stuff)

Sloes - 375Gm (cut, pricked or just frozen to split the skin)

Sugar - 200Gm (caster or granulated)

Leave 3-4 months turning for until all sugar disolved then once a week for 2 months, leave to settle fully then syphon out leaving all sediment in the bottom plus a lil liquid. I use a demijon - this year did 6 litres which is now maturing, tried it at xmas, very nice. Once you have the demijon syphoned dont disgard the sloes or sediment just add the same quantites of sugar and alcohol again but thia time with whisky, Brandy or vodka (agian add cinnamon or vanilla to taste if you want) and repeat process - very nice if you like whisky that is - only use cheaper stuff, expensive whisky is to be savoured over ice :lol:

Once done or you cant be bothered doing more sloe spirits just make a pie with the de-pipped sloe, not tried it but alledgedly very potent and nice :P

eeeehhh dont you ring out the slows till there no alchol left in them :lol::lol::/:good:

thanks for the new ideas kirky :good::good::lol:

Hi,

closed tops, the gin wont re-ferment due to there being no yeast cultures involved. The sloe is a naturally very sour fruit so all the sugar does is take the edge off it/sweeten it so once you've added the initial ammount and let it soak for a month or so just add more sugar to taste.

Hope this helps - check out this site for loadsa info - www.sloe.biz sos cant do the link thing

Two litre fizzy drink bottles are ideal. Since they are light and fairly narrow, they can be stowed at the back of the cupboard out of temptation's way, and you can still get them out without doing yourself an injury. Plus you can't easily breack them.

Personally, I've used demijohns for the last couple of years, but just because they look better (and were at a car boot sale).

Regards,

LS

Edited by lord_seagrave