at what age would you expect a puppy to be housetrained

Elmer Fudd 1

Depends on the dog, how hard you work at it and how old the pup was when you got it. Normally by about 12 - 14 weeks they are not far off clean but I had one lab that **** in his crate almost every night until he went into the kennel at 6 months.

Just been through this

I would say at 12 Ish weeks mine no longer pooed in the house at all

He hold it over night and straight out in the morning to do poo

As for weeing apparently could be up to 6 month

Mines 5 and 99% of the time he's done 1 wee on the paper we leave in the kitchen

Just because he really can't hold it

Reward him a lot when he toilets outside treats and a good belly rub they will soon learn

Patience is the key, after an accident take him straight outdoors. If you shout and rage at him he'll just find a corner somewhere you can't find it so easily. Lot's of praise and a treat after the first morning pee in the garden.

+1 That's what myself and the Mrs do, works for us....

Wow I got lucky.

My dog has never gone indoors or in her crate. She was born and reared outdoors which may explain it.

Even after a 2 day vet trip they called and asked us to collect as she wouldn't go in the car park and was busting. Soon as we got her into a field she went.

I must be very lucky, picked up our Boxer pup on the 28th, at 7 plus weeks old, he's been sleeping right through the night since the 30th, (cage in the bedroom at the moment) put him out at 11 pm then 7 am no whining, barking, nothing, and nothing in the cage

He's been asking to go out for the last 4 days. only had 2 "accidents" since he's been here :)

Admittedly we have spent all the time with him since we got him, taking him out every 15 to 20 minutes, unless he's asleep, then straight out when he wakes up

Wouldn't class him as house trained yet though

He is retrieving a ball back to me, so a possible Goose dog in the making :yes:

B753F25E-C82A-4D52-AC0D-04D89A1DABAA-863

Edited by The Croc

Well she is now up for sale! Will people please take note- puppies poop and wee in the house for a period, you manage it! A dog is for life not just Christmas.

Anyone who has raised their own kids will realise its not because they wish to be bad, its just they have no physical control and it comes at different ages! If your household cannot cope with this then kennel your dogs from the get go or don't ever get one. Agree in advance with the other members of your household the plan.

I doubt there has ever been a dog that chooses to soil its nest

Well she is now up for sale! Will people please take note- puppies poop and wee in the house for a period, you manage it! A dog is for life not just Christmas.Anyone who has raised their own kids will realise its not because they wish to be bad, its just they have no physical control and it comes at different ages! If your household cannot cope with this then kennel your dogs from the get go or don't ever get one. Agree in advance with the other members of your household the plan.I doubt there has ever been a dog that chooses to soil its nest

Is that the reason the pup is up for sale?

My cocker was 12 weeks had the odd accident after this upto 6 months about 3 spillages in total.

My wife got some training pads at the door once he peed on it put it outside and let him sniff it on the garden, 2 weeks of this and he was sorted, the training mats where brilliant as they absorbed everything also have a scent to them so the dog wants to pee on them and nowhere else..

my nine week cocker bitch pees and poos in the house especially at night where she poos in her crate, with correct house traing, what age will she be able to not only hold herself for a night but also be able to go outside

is the crate door closed ??? If so leave it open and put the training mats at the door ,don't lock the pup up it will be a lot harder it will get used to carping in it's cage....

I think the answer depends on how much time and effort you are prepared to put in,

The way we do it is put the pup outside two or three times and hour and always after food, watch the pup if it starts to give signs of wanting to go get it outside. have a command for it ours is "BE BUSY" when it goes give plenty of praise. Keep reinforcing the command

Even during the night we set the alarm to take it out hourly.

I reckon it takes two to three weeks to get them clean. But that is not to say there won,t be an accident, don't scold the pup it must be your fault for not putting it out.

Seems like a lot of work but as I said in the first paragraph.

Mick

Yup, apparently I read that you still have to train the working cocker to hunt and retrieve, that was a big surprise to me - well I think that should be a complaint to trading standards

Your kidding

So my pointer I bought from good working dogs needs to be trained

It's not bread into them

Well maybe I should sell him

id recommend that before you go slagging somebody off you may want to ask about the circumstances of such an event. for the record my 8 year old Labrador rejected her within the first few days getting worse and worse eventually tossing her across the living room. i had no problem what so ever with the evacuating all over the house and would have loved to keep her but i had to consider my older dog. im not going to go in to any more details of the other private matters which led to the unfortunate sale of my little puppy.

and to Kent, be a little more considerate as i assure you it is no easy thing having to sell a member of your family after only a short period of time so next time maybe just keep it to your self!