Semi Auto Club

Malik

I love my A612 & reccomend one to anyone looking to buy a new semi. Never had any issues cycling (28g on clays) & other end of spectrum, had it out on dedicated fox session full choke very heavy BB cartridge & recoil is minimal. I got the black synthetic, its trouble free & handles well. Less than 400 notes + warranty, you cannot go wrong. 

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

I love my A612 & reccomend one to anyone looking to buy a new semi. Never had any issues cycling (28g on clays) & other end of spectrum, had it out on dedicated fox session full choke very heavy BB cartridge & recoil is minimal. I got the black synthetic, its trouble free & handles well. Less than 400 notes + warranty, you cannot go wrong. 

+1

On 29/05/2019 at 10:14, Jay_Russell said:

blimey how strange, i know just as many people with them and not one has had any issues with theres, last week we put over 4000 carts through one in 5 days- no cleaning, no oiling and it never missed a beat! 

ideally you need the browning sling so it fits in the claw on the fore end, however i wanted a para cord one so i just used a ring that just fits in the claw although it isnt perfect and only just fits. the stock end i just drilled and fitted the swivel. comfort wise its fine, hardly notice it really. like you have a fair bit of a hike to get to some of the areas i can shoot so its certianly more comfortable than holding it for several miles 

Yes Jay_Russell,i was a bit miffed,i'd researched the Maxus & was keen to own one,it wasn't a sales tactic to try & sell me something else,i'm well known in the shop & i left with the £1k still in my pocket!,they stock plenty other Brownings,O/U's & S/S's but not a Maxus to be seen,they would have ordered one in for me but after hearing about the grief i walked away,more in-depth research afterwards told me that there was indeed a lot of cycling problems with the guns & like i'd been told it wasn't to do with loads or shell sizes,just poor cycling,whether this is/was to do with a bad batch or teething problems with early models i don't know,like i said,the Xtrema 2 has never given me any grief so i'll be keeping it.

• 4 months later...

Took the old school PSG 1187 out for a run and its now working 100%

A few changes from previous incarnations have addressed the unreliability issues

1 I dumped the DMW speed ramp in favour of a curved piece of stainless steel bolted to the original release button. This drastically reduces the mass that I believe was interfering with the    functioning during the firing/extraction/ejection/reload cycle. Also the rounded, polished stainless piece is more comfortable to use and does not have the "fangs" of the DMW unit which      had bitten me on many occasions

2 I settled for the mag tube extension at 11 rounds which with the Nordic long spring gives reliable feeding to the last round. Aesthetically better looking too.

3 An 870 saddle mount was modified with a slot for the charging handle (nothing available for lefty 1187's) and a Shield dot and ring sight fitted (this obviously puts the gun into open class, but can easily be removed to revert to auto class)

4 The 90 degree rotating ambidextrous safety works perfectly as does its siblings fitted to my PSG M37 and box fed  Valtro PM5 ( If the safety is applied, vertically down, it is immediately felt by the trigger finger, so  no embarrassing "doh" moments)

5 The match saver fashioned from an old Prodec clip works just as it should

As I previously mentioned, I find that using a Lefty gun although I am right handed seems to work really well for me especially for reloads (maybe I'm cack-handed!

611819207_1187fg(2).JPG.0bc2732a095a87157acef6ccf13075dc.JPG1558329586_1187fg(5).JPG.21d519732c4816dcbba21a44490f3cbc.JPG

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, impala59 said:

How about some votes to getting Semi Auto club pinned, it functions in much the same way as Pump Club and Side by Side Club in that it can answer readers questions about a specific type of gun they may be looking at or for

Administrators comments?

^^ +1 from me

Santa really came good this year!  was looking at pumps but saw this and after shiming the stock it fits like a glove. Some clay practice soon and hopefully a good go at the pigeons this year after my embarrassingly poor shooting last year. My first semi auto. Lots to learn as usual. 

_20191231_170359.JPG

8 hours ago, bishopp1 said:

Santa really came good this year!  was looking at pumps but saw this and after shiming the stock it fits like a glove. Some clay practice soon and hopefully a good go at the pigeons this year after my embarrassingly poor shooting last year. My first semi auto. Lots to learn as usual. 

_20191231_170359.JPG

Santa must have spent quite a bit of time in urbino. He bought me the exact same thing and a lovely briely extended bolt handle, but no whiskey.

21 hours ago, bishopp1 said:

_20191231_170359.JPG

Itching to order mine now!

Hope to try it on clays this week. Unfortunately I have never transfered the ability to hit 'some' clays to anything like a respectable bang to bird ratio. I cant quite work out the function of the mag cut off switch/button. If Anybody who could enlighten me I would appreciate it. Thanks 

Snap caps probably won't work. The psg boys use inert cartridges for practice in loading and clearing practice.

Next time your out try switching the mag catch over and cycle the bolt it should only eject the cart from the breech. No matter how many times you pull the bolt back and forth it shouldn't  load another cart untill the mag release catch is taken off and you cycle the bolt again.

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

Can I ask why you would put snap caps in a SA at all nevermind for practise? 

To get used to the operation of an SA, and not fumble it out in the field.  I don't think he's planning on leaving one 'up the spout' whilst it's in the cabinet.

Probably doesn't apply to you old boys who've been shooting since you were in short trousers, but us young'uns practice our mount and 'drills' at home with snap caps.  Easy on an o/u, not so much on an s/a, as your chances of them cycling correctly aren't high.

Don't use snap caps for cycling etc, very few are made to dimensions that are safe to cycle from a magazine.

There's a guy on another forum who used to make dummy rounds for PSG, as stated above. They get chewed up eventually but won't damage your gun and will still allow you to practice.

If you know anyone who reloads 12G they could knock a couple out easily.

Appreciate all the input folks. Snap caps were just to get used to its operations. It patterns quite well just a little high. That make sense thanks foggy. Having a swing on clays on Thursday. Hopefully. 

Every time I pull the trigger I stop. What's the score with dry firing semi autos?  same as CF?

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

To get used to the operation of an SA, and not fumble it out in the field.  I don't think he's planning on leaving one 'up the spout' whilst it's in the cabinet.

Probably doesn't apply to you old boys who've been shooting since you were in short trousers, but us young'uns practice our mount and 'drills' at home with snap caps.  Easy on an o/u, not so much on an s/a, as your chances of them cycling correctly aren't high.

I’m not really sure how a snap cap will help make anyone more familiar with the cycling of a semi auto; it’s not like it’s going to eject after pulling the trigger. 

I practise mounting etc with all my guns while they’re empty, I really can’t see what snap caps add to the exercise, but each to their own. 

8 hours ago, bishopp1 said:

Thanks for the reply foggy I'll have a play around on the farm. I must get some 12 g snap caps as I doubt it would be wise to practice in the house with live ones!

Wcpgw

Don’t put a snap cap into an affinity and let the action slam fwd. It will break the plastic ring off the edge and leave the body jammed into the breech. The metal ones are not much better, they can break the ejector claw.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I’m not really sure how a snap cap will help make anyone more familiar with the cycling of a semi auto; it’s not like it’s going to eject after pulling the trigger. 

I practise mounting etc with all my guns while they’re empty, I really can’t see what snap caps add to the exercise, but each to their own. 

With an O/U, you can practise the entire action of: "stand, mount, tail, belly, beak, BANG, keep moving" - with a snap cap up the spout allowing you to squeeze the bang-switch as part of practicing.

Obviously this applies less in a s/a, as you say the auto-cycle won't work at best, and at worst you'll jam/damage something.  But the PSG idea of making dummy rounds to allow you to familiarise yourself with the load-unload actions is a good one IMHO.  Makes for less fiddling in the field.

33 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

With an O/U, you can practise the entire action of: "stand, mount, tail, belly, beak, BANG, keep moving" - with a snap cap up the spout allowing you to squeeze the bang-switch as part of practicing.

Obviously this applies less in a s/a, as you say the auto-cycle won't work at best, and at worst you'll jam/damage something.  But the PSG idea of making dummy rounds to allow you to familiarise yourself with the load-unload actions is a good one IMHO.  Makes for less fiddling in the field.

Fair enough, but I’d advise you to forget about ‘belly beak bang’, it counts for nothing in the field. Either get yourself out on the clays or simply practise to mount your gun in a mirror without the swing.