Semi Auto Club

Malik

I'm loving my Benelli M2, the more I use a semi auto the more I like them. So quick to point or change direction and don't punish you if you shoot lots.

Wish we got with Europe thought wise for game shooting with a semi auto.

+1 for the M2, Figgy. I feel the same about mine. I do find it somewhat cartridge fussy, though. Gamebore Velocity 28g 7.5 jam every other shot. Gamebore Clear Pigeon 32g 6 can be somewhat jammy, too. Anything with the Gordon recoil system, such as 28g 7.5 Gamebore Blue Diamond, cycle flawlessly. Eley First 28g 7.5 cycle pretty reliably, too. Have you experienced similar?

My Benelli Raffaello, however, seems to cycle whatever I put in it. The action does feel a lot more refined on that gun compared to the M2, though.

Edited by Exudate

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My M2 I had for a year would cycle anything and everything including 24g when girlfriend used it for clays.

Did keep it very clean and well lubed and owned it from new.

It interesting that some seem to cycle everything, and some are fussy. Why could this be? Small differences in machine tolerances during manufacture, perhaps?

It interesting that some seem to cycle everything, and some are fussy. Why could this be? Small differences in machine tolerances during manufacture, perhaps?

The back spring guide tube gets dirty keep it clean and they will run forever. That spring is crucial if its in any way weak or dirty in that region they start to play up.

How is it jamming?

Not extracting, not feeding 2nd round? Double feeding?

Are you running it wet or bone dry?

Mine was sublime reliability wise just didn't like the recoil and went back to a gas auto.

Cartridges get stuck on the carrier, as if the brass is pinched between the walls of the gun. Only certain cartridges do this, as I mentioned earlier.

I keep it very clean and put a bit of oil on the rails after each outing.

My m2 wouldn't cycle Superfasts as they were a bit soft for cycling the action but last time out a friend used it and put Superfast through it with no problems and worked faultlessly.

Must be starting to run in or it was the hundred more punchy carts I'd put through it earlier.

The montefeltro is the same action so should be the same to shoot, wonder if one of your guns has shot a lot mire and smoothed out or if one has had aftermarket recoil springs fitted?

Edited by figgy

My m2 wouldn't cycle Superfasts as they were a bit soft for cycling the action but last time out a friend used it and put Superfast through it with no problems and worked faultlessly.

Must be starting to run in or it was the hundred more punchy carts I'd put through it earlier.

The montefeltro is the same action so should be the same to shoot, wonder if one of your guns has shot a lot mire and smoothed out or if one has had aftermarket recoil springs fitted?

My Montefeltro doesn't always eject the spent case cleanly when I'm shooting off the back of the moving Polaris we use on rabbits. I think that being inertia driven it needs a solid base to recoil on cycle the action. I can use my AL391 off it with no issues at all. I guess with lighter loads or potentially a slighter build could cause the same issue.

The M2 was bought from new and has had about 3000 rounds through it. Original everything, nothing has changed. Yes, Superfasts jam like hell in it.

My m2 cycles most cartridges I've put through it - the only thing it didn't like were some 24g cartridges I got at a clay ground. Also got a Vepr-12 which is great fun to shoot, bit too heavy to carry about a field all day though

Exudate mine is now shooting Superfasts without a problem. I run mine wet and now it's getting even better. I did put some graphite powder in the action and slide rails and then a light spray of wd40dry lube before going out.

My m2 will shoot 24g no problem so long as they're a good cart some softer ones won't cycle.

I've found by putting a bit of spay oil in the recoil Spring tube my gun is working loads better.

Thanks, Figgy. I had a play with the M2 last night, comparing it to the Raffaello. What I noticed was, with the Raffaello, when a cartridge is ejected from the magazine onto the carrier (by pushing the cartridge drop lever), it ends up much further towards the trigger on the carrier than the M2. On the Raffaello, the cartridge then easily chambers when I work the bolt. With the M2, on doing the same, the cartridge struggles to chamber.

However, with the M2, if I put my little finger through the gap between the end of the carrier and the cartridge, and physically push the cartridge further down the carrier towards the trigger (about 5mm), there's an audible click, and the cartridge will then chamber easily on working the bolt.

Could I have a dodgy carrier latch?

Sounds like your magazine catch is sticky!

That's what I mean by the carrier latch. I've polished the hell out of it with autosol, but it hasn't helped. Looks like a warranty trip back to GMK might be on the cards. With others saying that their M2s cycle pretty much everything, my gun certainly does not fall into the category, so it's likely that something is out of tolerance. I absolutely love the gun, though, and want to keep it. If a simple carrier latch swap-out does the trick, then that would be excellent.

Guest cookoff013

dont forget, lubricate the rails.

i oil mine, the rotary head, the inertia spring, return spring, etc,

not had any unreasonable stoppages, (21g fibre / 21g subs)

Guest cookoff013

This

I run my montefeltro on Castrol fully synthetic engine oil, works much better than gun oil, although I have to refresh it slightly more often.

Me too !

that oil is fantastic !

Hi

I am thinking of buying a mid 70's Fabarm Goldenmatic.

It's the long recoil system,some say it will cycle 28gm loads

others not and would spare parts be a available.

I favour older semi's so if this is not a good choice please

don't hold back with suggestions.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi

I am thinking of buying a mid 70's Fabarm Goldenmatic.

It's the long recoil system,some say it will cycle 28gm loads

others not and would spare parts be a available.

I favour older semi's so if this is not a good choice please

don't hold back with suggestions.

Thanks for any advice.

I don't have any experience of Fabarm beyond a syndicate mate having one, which he soon got rid of.

I do however have quite a bit of experience of the older Beretta A300 series shotguns and the Browning 2000. They are both tremendous guns; I have regular use of the former and once owned the latter. The only reason I sold the 2000 was to fund another gun, which I subsequently sold, leaving me regretting selling the 2000. The only reason I haven't bough another is cabinet space.

The Browning B80 is another outstanding self loader; a Browning shotgun with Beretta innards....best of both worlds.

Mate had a stunning Browning Fusion Gold which he was very wary of marking in the hide, so traded it in for an old Beretta A303, had it Teagued and it is his regular rough/hide gun. Lovely bit of kit.

I currently have a Winchester 1500 XTR which I have no intention of parting with; have owned it for several years now. All oldies, but golden oldies.

I acquired a Remington 1187 Premier (lefty) sleeper all gummed up with grease and seemingly put away dirty. A serious deep clean, new gas seal and plastics from my 870 (stock) and PW member (forend) (thanks TC) and it is performing faultlessly, cycling 28g 24g and 21g in any combination. The wood is in a sad state (hence the plastics) and I wonder if any of you have ever removed the DuPont lacquer type finish which seems quite thick and hard? I appear to have water damage under the finish along with numerous chivs and dents to take care of. The forend was cracked and although I have repaired it I think it will take a lot of work to make it fully presentable. Any tips gratefully received

Edited by impala59