• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bit better shots of the writing on it.

jjj7_zpsa5d75b0b.jpg

jjj_zpsd3121fa5.jpg

See lots of these at the auctions in Stockholm. Nicely built guns. Not seen many over here as yet or I'd give one a home. Good find.

Just added another Auto 5 to the brood. All common 12-bore examples of the type, though the painted receiver version is my favourite (but sadly THAT A5 isn't my S.1 model)

A Police A5 replica is under development...as is a "Cochin Gun".

No decision yet on which is first in line.

Helping an RFD mate to rebuild a Sweet 16, unfortunately already belonging to a customer...and in very poor fettle! Shame, it's an early beastie too.

Still hoping a Mag10 will show up, possibly an 11-87 "Speshul Porpoise" too; the joys of limited funds!

Edited by saddler

I'm still on the look out for a good A5. I have always avoided the painted version though, the one with that crackle type finish. Do you just prefer the look?

Yeah, the painted receiver has a "wartime utilitarian" look to it...and having had hands-on with a few bits of similarly painted gats (Sterling SMG, Sterling AR180, etc.) the look appeals.

It had a couple of high spots but touched them in when I Duracoated the 870 Express.

Wish I had as much luck finding either a Police Model A5, or a 24" rifle-sighted "Buck Special" model (or the barrel): got a couple of complete sight units for this, so the fallback plan is to use a donor spare barrel & make up an approximation of one, for slug shooting.

As most of mine seem to be mid-50's onwards I also fancy an earlier one, or few, with the different safety catch positions/designs.

I know that there is an excellent reference book dedicated to the Auto 5's & nothing but the Auto 5; but the reluctance to invest in a copy isn't how much the book will cost, but how much I'll then end up spending with the added model knowledge on board!

• 1 year later...

Current project I'm working on is an 'Old School' practical shotgun for standard class. Starting with an 1187, probably my favourite semi, its getting the 'Frankengun' treatment, not sure how far I'll go with it but its fun to play with peoples mindsets! 

As always NO messing with the pressure areas, and apart from the speedgate installation (which demands it) NO filing,  cutting or drilling the gun. With the original wood (currently under restoration) fitted, this gun can go back to standard. At present looking for a Choate pistol grip stock in various friends and acquaintances parts boxes (I'm sure I've seen one somewhere) and tubing to extend the mag to the muzzle, I've a 45" Wolff xp spring on order to deal with the expected 12 round capacity. My wife has christened it 'The Batgun'

5ab40303427ab_1187PROJECT(2).JPG.06cff2c57baab95fcffc4ed971c5e9c8.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Tactile or Tacticool?

Just finished putting my two lefty 1187's back together, the upper, section 2 with Danish oil finished wood, replacement fore-end (original  split) and refurbished stock after the DuPont lacquer finish separated from the wood. New pistol grip cap fitted. Has always been a good reliable gun and now looks much more presentable.

5ad14b16c28fa_1187tort(8).JPG.263a4f6b893b9cb4e8703009d389fe28.JPG

The lower, section 1, is the FrankenRem 1187, with synthetic furniture.( I am remodelling the Monte Carlo stock from the earlier picture) Magazine extension made from an old savage mag tube with 40" Wolff spring and Remington mag tube clamp. Ambidextrous 90 degree rotating safety. (matches my Ithaca 37 PSG gun, forward for fire, down for safe on either side) Dave's metal works Easioader and bobbin charging handle. Match saver fashioned from a Prodec belt clip. Eased and polished loading port. Fore-end rail with angled fore grip. Full choke (Rem choke) Homemade yellow fibre hi-vis fore sight with short Ghost tube mounted on rib as rear sight. A bit of 'Old School' PSG meets Frankengun!

• 2 months later...

I've been doing a little research recently with light loads in my 1187. Following a discussion on the Remington forum I purchased various 'VITON' O rings to experiment with. Viton is a high heat resistant material of the same type as Remington OE. With a few hiccups along the way, the results of my tests are below. Ensure that you have the Gas Cylinder Compensation spring in place and preferably also the Gas Cylinder Collar fitted when assembling the gun (not applicable to the 1100 to which this also applies.) As can be seen, the compromises are created by the conversion of metric and imperial sizes (and also the STATED equivalents) Looking at the 'Thou' measurements is the most telling IMHO As an aside, buying O rings on the 'bay is much cheaper than elsewhere

470183210_oringpaint.png.ff3e9e0ddee6dfbce1a14431370cd1b9.png

Hope this may be helpful with any cycling issues you may have

Edited by impala59

Latest mods to (now reliable) Lefty 1187

Angled Fore Grip moved forward to facilitate speed-loads (bit of a DOH! moment in earlier position!) Monte Carlo stock with finger-groove grip enhancer. DMW Easi-loader cut back 3/8" (to reduce mass and bounce) and rounded to fingers instead of fangs (I have the cuts to prove  it!) Light gathering optic sight AKA 'Rambo' sight which I have found is surprisingly good for steel plates. Reduced magazine capacity to enhance reliability whilst  awaiting  a Nordic 45" mag spring. Low drag mag follower

1187update.JPG.20e2ba4b489355f5c43899294f0af071.JPG

Regarding Rem 1100 cycling light loads.

I have 2. A 1979 1100 Skeet and Field.

The Skeet I use for clays only, still has the original Action Spring and 100% cycles 21g Gamebore Evo and numerous 24g loads. Not bad for a gun designed around the 32g cartridge which standard at the time.

So I think if you want to shoot lighter loads, a new Action Spring is not the way to go.

I use the Field for pest control using 28g to 42g and it has a new Action Spring, which will not cycle anything lighter than 28g.

I never have used steel shot in either but I cant see using it through an I/C barrel being a problem. 

Edited by Robertt

I agree, new action springs are the enemy of light loads, conversely a strong magazine spring is vital for sending the last (lightweight) cartridge to trip the action

edit.. There are those who advocate enlarging the gas port (s) I am not one of those as a hole cannot be un-drilled. Marginally increasing the cross section of the O ring is a simple way to slightly increase the gas pressure in a safe way (by improved sealing at the front of the cylinder) with no radical modification to the gun. Where the 1187 and 1100 differ is in the cylinder area, the 1187 having the compensator spring, the 1100 simply vents excess gas rearward possibly making it slightly better for light loads. I know I regret selling my old '70s 1100 which never let me down, whatever I fed it with!

Edited by impala59

7 hours ago, impala59 said:

I agree, new action springs are the enemy of light loads, conversely a strong magazine spring is vital for sending the last (lightweight) cartridge to trip the action

edit.. There are those who advocate enlarging the gas port (s) I am not one of those as a hole cannot be un-drilled. Marginally increasing the cross section of the O ring is a simple way to slightly increase the gas pressure in a safe way (by improved sealing at the front of the cylinder) with no radical modification to the gun. Where the 1187 and 1100 differ is in the cylinder area, the 1187 having the compensator spring, the 1100 simply vents excess gas rearward possibly making it slightly better for light loads. I know I regret selling my old '70s 1100 which never let me down, whatever I fed it with!

I quite agree, but keeping the holes clean is a must.

My brother's 1100 refused to work with whatever O-ring variation, new/old spring combo, new/old piston rings or anything I tried. I took it to someone who deals with Remingtons and apparently the barrel that came with the gun was set up for heavier loads and had particularly small ports so he enlarged them to the spec for 24g carts. It was a last resort but it did work, and the gun ran beautifully after that...

Until we tried it in January in the cold and it wouldn't cycle even once. It's a huge shame as I bought the gun to get my brother into shooting and it's no fun wondering if the second shot is going to go pop or not. I might bring the old worn out action spring next time I use it in case it plays up.

6CFXnCp.png

I need to cut back the easyloader sometime as it's a real thumb trap!

6 hours ago, Opossum said:

I need to cut back the easyloader sometime as it's a real thumb trap!

Does your Easiloader trip the gate in the last 1/8"of its travel? Any earlier and you will have all sorts of fails. If you have the original release button it may be worth trying with that fitted (even though the gate will have been filed away a little. If you installed the Easiloader yourself check back the instructions, if you don't have them I will  post them on here for you. It has to be said when I was having all sorts of problems it all seemed to be related to the Easiloader. Another tip, put a couple of fired cases in the magazine before fitting the mag cap so as to ensurethat the mag spring gives the rounds a good push into the carrier latch.

Heat and cold really can upset the relationship between the various metal parts, even if they are scrupulously cleaned. This is where, IMHO a tiny bit of engine oil on the tube can help things along, together with the advice above from Robert

I assume from your post that there are 2 gas ports, there are only 2 factory spec hole sizes for 12g, 2 port, 1100's; .0790" and .0860" the second being Skeet 26" and the former everything else but magnums which have a single hole of .0730"

Hi thanks for the advice, the easyloader is set up correctly. I heard that it can cause problems so I made sure to thoroughly test it. The problems with the gun have always been failure to eject.

I'll try the old action spring and a couple of cases in the mag tube to try to give it the best opportunity to cycle!

And yes, it has two gas ports, I can't remember what he opened them up to, sadly.

Wish you well with sorting it, it is a fine looking gun and deserves to be out on the range. For what its worth, I dug out my workshop manual and scanned the relevant fault finding page for you. Most is, of course, obvious, but no harm in checking everything ?(been there, Not done that many times!)

1149585819_remfailtoe.JPG.0a00d238fee51651e9486a9a5b91c3d1.JPG

Opossum.

Below are the most likely suspects so look at these options first.

Check the recess on the barrel where the ejector claw sits is clean.

Make sure the claw is moving freely, undamaged and the claw spring is lubed.

Using a snap cap or fired case check the claw is grabbing the case rim properley . The claws come in 2 sizes and there maybe an unlikely chance it's the wrong one.

Double check your piston rings are in the correct order.

If possible try a different barrel.    

Then shoot some 32g 70mm through it.

If that works it eliminates any mechanical issues.

Then fit your old Action Spring and work backwards, 30g, 28g and so on to establish the minumum cycling load.

My Field Model doesn't like 65g cases which is a bit of a head scratcher as my Skeet Mod digests vertually anything. 

Hope the above helps.

Edited by Robertt

I bought a hatsan supreme with high gloss walnut stock brand new, which jammed constantly. I loved the gun and could shoot quite well with it, but the constant jamming was unbearable so I bought a Benelli premium plus with walnut stock. (The plastic stocked version is far more common). Very soft to shoot and slim and light. Cleaning is  dead easy compared to a hatsan!!

I have recently got hold of a winchester xtr 1500 for 50 quid with all 3 win chokes and the key plus a gun slip. I suppose the semi auto is like buying a automatic car you never knew you wanted one until you got one and then wished you had one year's ago. I do like the way it shoots but I have removed the varnish like finnish as I found it slippery in this hot weather .

6 hours ago, B725 said:

I have recently got hold of a winchester xtr 1500 for 50 quid with all 3 win chokes and the key plus a gun slip. I suppose the semi auto is like buying a automatic car you never knew you wanted one until you got one and then wished you had one year's ago. I do like the way it shoots but I have removed the varnish like finnish as I found it slippery in this hot weather .

Absolute Bargain! Enjoy

10 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

I am reading this wishing I had a semi auto!

Loads in Holts online auction, bargain prices, take a chance! Ends on 5th July I believe