Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Malik

Semi Auto Club

Recommended Posts

Best dummy rounds I have seen were expensive, Gold coloured, high brass case pick-ups from the local clay ground (not extractor damaged as used in double guns and a colour that the shooter in question did not use as live ammunition) They were sized, de-capped and cut to the original length (crimped section removed with a very sharp knife) Into the cavity was inserted and glued a piece of dowel (I believe it was 18mm but ready to stand corrected) flush to the end of the case. When the glue was dry the leading edge was sanded so as to present a suitable profile for feeding. The empty cap hole was filled with a small blob clear sealing mastic, cut flush when dry, so as to provide a cushion of sorts to the firing pin and to prevent it from over extending should the hammer be dropped. They were of course not as heavy as live rounds (another safety check) and being lighter could be cycled many times before any damage became apparent

Edited by impala59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, impala59 said:

Best dummy rounds I have seen were expensive, Gold coloured, high brass case pick-ups from the local clay ground (not extractor damaged as used in double guns and a colour that the shooter in question did not use as live ammunition) They were sized, de-capped and cut to the original length (crimped section removed with a very sharp knife) Into the cavity was inserted and glued a piece of dowel (I believe it was 18mm but ready to stand corrected) flush to the end of the case. When the glue was dry the leading edge was sanded so as to present a suitable profile for feeding. The empty cap hole was filled with a small blob clear sealing mastic, cut flush when dry, so as to provide a cushion of sorts to the firing pin and to prevent it from over extending should the hammer be dropped. They were of course not as heavy as live rounds (another safety check) and being lighter could be cycled many times before any damage became apparent

I've got a set of dummies from an old website (dummycartridges.net or similar, long since dead) which sound similar. They're loaded with shot and crimped down on to some kind of card. The primer is glue so not the worst if you dry fire, but not recommended. The rim gets chewed up fairly quickly with all the loading and unloading, particularly if you don't unload from the bottom.

I found a lightweight and unfilled dummy that is much more durable - I chewed up the edges on one fixing a problem with my bolt action (locating a burr) but the rest load and unload without taking a knock. Chewed or not, they cycle fine.

I find them useful for checking the action or walking somebody new through the process. My dad set a record of sending one across the room and behind the sofa when testing on his O/U.

Plastic dummy.jpg

Real dummy 1.jpg

Real dummy 2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be a new sport, ejecting dummies at the dog, wife kids etc or target practice ejecting into a bin or basket......

.....awaiting smutty versions🙄😏😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Could be a new sport, ejecting dummies at the dog, wife kids etc or target practice ejecting into a bin or basket......

.....awaiting smutty versions🙄😏😁

I always cover the cartridges when they eject, obviously saves picking them up, the missus hasn't quite caught on to that yet. The last time we went clay shooting she had her face over the gun when she broke it, both cartridges clapped her square in the face 😂 I shouldn't laugh but 😂

That's why we wear safety glasses boys and girls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I always cover the cartridges when they eject, obviously saves picking them up, the missus hasn't quite caught on to that yet. The last time we went clay shooting she had her face over the gun when she broke it, both cartridges clapped her square in the face 😂 I shouldn't laugh but 😂

That's why we wear safety glasses boys and girls.

You cover the cartridges ejecting from a semi-auto?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You cover the cartridges ejecting from a semi-auto?

No, O/U, hence why I said when she broke then gun 👍

Impala's new game reminded me.

Edited by Farmboy91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I went and rejoined the pump club today didn't I.

Managed to get the franchi affinity with 26" barrel I was after, going to give it a clean then run it in a bit tomorrow. Hoping they are going to drill the beetroot next door soon so there's a possibility of a few extra pigeon about so I can give it a proper try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, after asking the what fac shotgun questions and settling on a Franchi affinity 9+1 ish. Dropped the stock and went clay shooting with a mate. Frankly embarrassing :-(.  During Feb and March barbury shooting are offering half price lessons so I took advantage of this. I fitted a neoprene cheek riser and set of under expert guidance from Mark hall. With a few instructions mainly don't look at the gun both eyes open I was hitting more clays than not. Very happy. I couldn't hit a barn door with my winchester sxp as it didn't fit me. The affinity does. Very happy. Gun was flawless I was unaware of recoil and hit stuff!!  Will try to get two more lessons in and buy some more of their well priced hull superfast which seemed to work with me and IC choke. A very good morning thanks to barbury shooting and a good gun that fits supplied by the good people at Wiltshire rod and gun who fixed (under warranty no questions) My sxp and part exchanged it for the affinity with extended mag tube fitted. Excellent. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...