Semi Auto Club

Malik

any body on here shoot an old Winchester 1400\1500 offered one any comments

I have a lovely 1500XTR. Think it had been a bit of a sleeper along with a 101 I also bought as they were in such good condition. Have had it for about three years now and haven't had any problems with it at all. The woodwork is covered with a high gloss varnish which isn't to everyones taste I admit, but it means very low maintenence.

As said the release button is underneath at the front of the feed, but it's quite a big button and very positive. I don't find it fiddly but each to their own. Your gun should be fitted with 'Winchokes'. These are black carbon steel and prone to rust if neglected but perfectly fine if cared for. Teague make aftermarket ones for Winchester and I found the chokes I bought for my 101 also fit my 1500 XTR and 1300 XTR, so it isn't a problem finding replacements.

A great bit of kit.

Edited by Scully

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished adjusting the stock on the Maxus and needed 2 shims which Browning say is the maximum. The designers have deemed that it would be prudent for the stock bolt nut to be a 'stiff' nut and have used a ny-loc version. These require a thread or so protruding out of the nut to be 'safe'. With the shims this does not happen so a couple of drops of thread lock on the degreased (rod and nut) threads might just be equally prudent.

Ordered a Maxus on Monday, delivery in 7 to 10 days from Belgium. Was reading through this late AM and the phone went - damned insulation people again - nope the RFD my gun's arrived. Computer off and away. It's a beaut and I'm well pleased.

Sounds nice! Get a pic up :good:

Was in pump club till i traded my brilliant super nova in for a super black eagle 2 which has been faultless so far !!!!

similar here, was in the pump club until my very much loved 870 was replaced by a super black eagle 2 as in the trush of a load of ducks whizzing past i was forgetting to pump the gun after my first shot :/

problem is i couldnt hit a damn thing with the SBE2, and i mean REAL bad shot with it... even took it on the clays to find my usual score was halved. i finally got around to paterning it to find at 20 yards i was 9 inch high, then i remembered a shim pack i had so stripped it down to find the only alteration i could make (highest shim was in the gun already) was turning one of the shims around i did and it transformed it. went roost shooting and fox shooting last weekend and hit five times more than i would have otherwise, thinking it may have been a fluke i went back on the clays today and even in the crazy winds was at least on par with my usual over/under clay gun if not better..

all im thinking now is why i hadnt done this earlier as ive had a half a dozen or more fowling trips and missed loads. my frezzer could have been full :lol:

This is a long thread and I can't be ar**sd to read it all. but if you have not seen a Browning doubleauto in action or tried one then you don't know what your missing.

There is no auto you can load faster and they are a joy to shoot. only trouble is finding one that is in nice condition as they stopped producing them ages ago. All parts machined from solid and no pressed parts. They would cost an arm and leg now if they still made them. They work a bit like a benelli, but use a short recoil sytem ( about a 1/4" ) unlike the old auto 5 and its clone that rcoil about 3" . You can change barrels in 30 seconds

As you can see I am a great fan and have four of them and a few spare barrels!

Hi Scully Sounds like you got a good deal You may realise I am a Winchester 101 fan so when I thought of a semi first thought !500 XTR cold do with finding a sleeper like yourself.

I realise it's along way from you, but Lakeland Guns in Workington had another nice example of a 1500 XTR in some time ago. It was a 'European' model with the contrasting receiver. I don't know whether he still has it.

[Apologies for the side track]

I like it. Does it have a churchill rib? How do you find the such short barrels? I have a 26" barreled Webley and its great for walked up.

Thank you.

Yep, it has the Churchill rib and it is easy on the arm but I can't walk too far now and prefer a shorter barrel in the pigeon hide. It was a right cosmetic mess when I got it - the barrels needed blueing and the stock had had some oil applied - probably with a 4" brush but underneath it was as sound as the day it was made - proper AYAs in those days - so all it needed was UK Gun Repairs to work their magic and job done. For my money and with regard to the era when it was made, it is a better gun than either of my 2 Churchills (1932 and 1947), Utility and Regal - same guns, different names.