Buy, Finish and Release Pheasants

T-Bolt94

Good evening all,

Currently I am trying to set up a bit of a gun "club" in NI (rough shoot for a group of mates) and we want to release Pheasants onto the land which we currently have permission on and which is relatively extensive. This is new to us all although, I have limited experience with other poultry. Predator management is key and building a finishing pen. However, what size should this pen be as we intend to release a few hundred birds and what are the pheasants fed on from poults to release. Also, when is best to release the birds and can anyone recommend any good sources of poult.

Any information is very much appreciated.

Kind regards

T-Blt94

You might be best buying a book about part time keepering which will provide you with all your answers.

On our small syndicate we release about 100 pheasants a year. We normally buy the poults at 6 weeks old and they get put in a pen about 50 yards x 30 yards. The pen is covered with a net to stop BOP. We keep the birds on pellets for a few weeks and then start on wheat. About the start of September we start letting birds out because they will start pecking at each other and a few weeks later the net is taken off completely.

There is so much more to it but these are a few points that will help. Make sure you get predator control right on the ground, control foxes with snares (if they can be checked daily) & keep the corvids down.

I'm sure there will be someone along after to add to what I said. If you need anything PM me and I can try to help.

That is a question with a lot of answers.

I expect every shoot does it a slightly different way. We release about 400 birds into 3 release pens, bought as poults at about 6 or 7 weeks. Fed on pellets to start then corn later on. We don't bother with a top net, as the birds get out we walk them back in the pens, as they are not strong flyers and are easy prey for vermin. Our smallest pen is about 40 m x 25m. As they grow stronger they will spread around your shoot. You should have feed bins around the land to try and hold the birds where you want them. Don't forget lots of clean water in the release pen and around the shoot as we'll.

As suggested above buy a book or even better get someone in your syndicate who has some knowledge of gamekeeping. There are many pit falls. But I enjoy the keeping as much as the shooting and dog work.

Fantastic guys, I have a few people I know that I am going to ask also. Predator wise we have been on top of the foxes quite well so far so numbers should be fairly low. What would be a rough figure for getting started building a pen, net, wire etc and feeding costs. Roughly, as I know its very hard to pin a figure on.

Thanks

A pen should have 1 meter of outside fence for every bird put in it, eg 400 birds need 400m of outside wire, regardless of shape.

If you get birds in August at 6-8 weeks old you should be feeding them on growers pellets till about 14 weeks. Then slowly mix wheat into it, adding more and more into their feed till, after a couple of weeks, their totally over to wheat. Late summer birds will benefit from the extra couple of weeks on pellets and as it helps them feather up and grow tails quicker.

Feed wise a rule of thumb is 1 ton of wheat per hundred birds and 1 ton of pellets per 400 birds (or 1 sack per 10). Lots of fresh water, we moved over to drinkers from open trays to minimize contamination from their own droppings. Likewise I cannot recommend Manola 'top hat' feeders highly enough.

Always a bonus if you can release your birds central to your shoot, maximize the distance to your boundaries

Don't forget well placed feeders on your ground, or loads of your birds will disappear as soon as you release them.

Cover crops?

In principle this malarkey is easy, but it isn't, be careful, take advice, read as much as you can, ideally get experienced help, and still expect to make daft mistakes!

ATB! :good:

• 2 months later...