Wildfowling Shotguns

red_stag88

Coastal wildfowling weaponry.   

134 members have voted

1. 1. What is your choice for the foreshore?

• Pump action
    • Semi auto
    • S/S
    • O/U
    • Single Barrel

Evening all,

Having just put my pump action in the bath after an evening flight, I got to wondering what others are using on the shore?

I struggle to shoot well with the pump. Mainly due to being a bad shot more than anything.

I have also noticed its propensity to rust, even with a thin coat of mud enough to leave small stains.

This is rather disappointing considering it is a supernova and meant to be tough.

I was thinking about getting a cheap over under for the job.

Your views would be welcome.

Cheers

Johnny

i am new to wildfowling with this being my first season. my first trip i took my remington 870 pump and although my first proper outing with the gun i shot unusually well and dropped a few birds.. since then i have taken my benelli uper black eagle 2 which i unfortunatly cant shoot that well (am doing my best to get used to it but cant get my eye in) the one real issue i have is rust... i got home an hour ago to find my gun covered in rust yet again.. roll on the end of the season and ill be getting it cerakoted

Edited by kiffy

I used to use a Remmie 870 and it was fine, could rattle off two or three nearly as quickly as I could with an auto. If you're going to get the gun muddy you might as well stick with what you've got and just give it a proper strip down clean every time you've been out. You won't be able to tear down an OU as quickly and easily.

This is rather disappointing considering it is a supernova and meant to be tough.

Out of interest, do you have the Matt black supernova? I did, and had the same problem with barrel rusting.

I P/X'd mine for a camo version and never looked back. It's the best wildfowling gun I've owned (although I've only had 4 specifically for the marsh).

Edited by Wildfowler12

I have used the SX3 camo auto for four or five seasons, its got a rust proof plating under the camo and I maintain it correctly no issues at all with rust and I do quite a bit. That said is not too bad when I am out with one of my blues s/s guns, but it is as always get home Dog, gun, self in that order. I travel between 40 mins and just over 2 hrs each way to shoot so don't take it I live a short walk from the marsh and the gun hasn't time to spoil. Are you putting it in an absorbent slip? this might be your issue

Kent,

It was an half hour walk back to the car where it had a wipe and coat of thin oil, then an hour to home. I'm not sure if the slip is absorbent.

Wildfowler12,

Yes it is the black version. I'm not a huge fan of camo guns, but in this case it would appear that I have made a mistake. Why on earth would benelli not offer the same rust protection with a black finish?

Johnny

I have used a sbs boxlock in the past but feel much happier putting non-tox through my semi auto. Its a browning gold (pic on the semi auto club thread if you want). Its covered in a rubbery finish called duratouch or duratech I think. Its very grippy and doesn't feel cold to the touch. I'm not bothered about the realtree finish, but I don't find it too offensive.

Kent,

It was an half hour walk back to the car where it had a wipe and coat of thin oil, then an hour to home. I'm not sure if the slip is absorbent.

Wildfowler12,

Yes it is the black version. I'm not a huge fan of camo guns, but in this case it would appear that I have made a mistake. Why on earth would benelli not offer the same rust protection with a black finish?

Johnny

right, you problem is your oiling over the salt contamination. You must clean the gun off well before you put oil on it. Its not unusual for me to run a gun under the shower etc, a wipe down with a cloth and warm soapy water is more common though. You must neutralise the contamination and the gun must be dried before you oil it

I have used most types of fowling guns over the years.......single 4, double 8, S/A 10, S/A 12 (Browning, Beretta etc), double SBS 12,....got shut of all the S/A's now....for a variety of reasons but mainly because I couldn't shoot well with em (bar the Browning Gold 3 1/2" S/A 12 that is!) and safety wise...... you can't at a glance check down the barrel for obstructions, and because S/A's don't break so others cannot easily see the gun is empty!........... and annoying wise..... the empties were scattered over a wide area (and when picked up, were often contaminated with mud and salt water and rusted before you got home!......not good for reloading)........ and of course the empty cases are impossible to find in the dark!

I currently use a12 x 3 1/2" O/U (and of course the 4 & 8 Bores!) early days with it yet, but the O/U 12 appears to tick most boxes for me............but if all else fails I still have my Midland 3" mag SBS 12 as a fall back......

Oh and the gun is finished in 'Duratouch' infinity camo.....so rust is not an issue!

To remove rust (redrust!) I have used cabinet makers wirewool in 0000grade (I think it is?) soaked in paraffin/oil to good effect, without it removing the Blacking....but don't rub too hard/long!!

Edited by panoma1

I have used most types of fowling guns over the years.......single 4, double 8, S/A 10, S/A 12 (Browning, Beretta etc), double SBS 12,....got shut of all the S/A's now....for a variety of reasons but mainly because I couldn't shoot well with em (bar the Browning Gold 3 1/2" S/A 12 that is!) and safety wise...... you can't at a glance check down the barrel for obstructions, and because S/A's don't break so others cannot easily see the gun is empty!........... and annoying wise..... the empties were scattered over a wide area (and when picked up, were often contaminated with mud and salt water and rusted before you got home!......not good for reloading)........ and of course the empty cases are impossible to find in the dark!

I currently use a12 x 3 1/2" O/U (and of course the 4 & 8 Bores!) early days with it yet, but the O/U 12 appears to tick most boxes for me............but if all else fails I still have my Midland 3" mag SBS 12 as a fall back......

Oh and the gun is finished in 'Duratouch' infinity camo.....so rust is not an issue!

To remove rust (redrust!) I have used cabinet makers wirewool in 0000grade (I think it is?) soaked in paraffin/oil to good effect, without it removing the Blacking....but don't rub too hard/long!!

I have collecting the empties sorted! After all done and dusted I just tell the dog "empties" and I don't have to stumble about with a torch any more. 3 in 1 oil is just thin enough when used with the real fine wire wool but I shouldn't use it on coatings only traditional finishes personally. The dog often chomps a case and are useless for re-loading after being in the slutch and saltwater.

My ideal 12 ga fowling gun has not yet been made. It might be along the lines of a S/S with easy removable lock so you could rinse it off etc. A synthetic stock (while retaining the balance point) Full rustproof plating under a modern non reflective finish and sling attachments. 3" short and 3 1/2" longer barrels as a set and external removable chokes on both. Today though its a good Auto