renewing my fac & sgc time running out

shawn9914

Hi All

I sent my renewal off for both my licences a few weeks before Christmas and not heard anything until today, got a letter through the post asking for my referee forms from both my references. This is a mistake on their part as I checked and double checked that everything was in the envelope that I sent recorded delivery so now I have got to do it all again.

The other thing is they have enclosed a form for one of my permissions to fill out giving me permission to shoot on there land, do I need to fill this out as this is my 3rd renewal/application after having both licences for 10 years now and I cannot remember filling this in last time.

Lastly my current licences expire on 14th January so I am now worried I could be in possession of my guns without a current licence, does anyone know how I stand with this obviously Christmas has slowed the renewal down but now there misplacing my reference forms has added to the delay

shawn

Hi All

I sent my renewal off for both my licences a few weeks before Christmas and not heard anything until today, got a letter through the post asking for my referee forms from both my references. This is a mistake on their part as I checked and double checked that everything was in the envelope that I sent recorded delivery so now I have got to do it all again.

The other thing is they have enclosed a form for one of my permissions to fill out giving me permission to shoot on there land, do I need to fill this out as this is my 3rd renewal/application after having both licences for 10 years now and I cannot remember filling this in last time.

Lastly my current licences expire on 14th January so I am now worried I could be in possession of my guns without a current licence, does anyone know how I stand with this obviously Christmas has slowed the renewal down but now there misplacing my reference forms has added to the delay

shawn

Am I misreading that or are you saying you sent the FIR101, cheque, Pics and Referees forms to your region all in the same envelope?

Your not supposed to have the referees forms

They have to fill them in and send them separately as you're not supposed to see what they have written

:shaun:

Good point, I did assume that the referees forms were sent recorded but by the referees...

On the new forms, don't you send the referee's sheets back in with the application ?

From North Wales police site (my bold higlighting)

Before posting your application form please check it and tick the boxes against this list to ensure it has
been completed fully and accurately. This will remove the need for us to return the application form and
speed up the application process:
You have enclosed your fully completed application form which has been signed and dated
at the bottom of every page.
GP details have been completed and you have signed and dated the declaration on page 2.
You have declared all firearms and ammunition in your possession and completed the security
section on page 4.
Two referees have completed and signed on pages 8 and 9. They need to have known you for a
minimum of 2 years, and are legally eligible to act as your referee.

That seems to indicate that you send in all the forms, though it may be worded very poorly

Make sure you insist on a temp cert as Durham tried to refuse my mate, who has been waiting since sept for his renewal.He was phoned on xmas eve to be told that he had until the end of that day to get his guns to an RDF or face prosecution.He did tell them that he phoned to ask for a temp cert on 04/12/13.Only to be told that he did not phone.The officer even said we dont do temp certs.After a heated discussion she assured him that the temp cert they do not issue would be issued lol.So my advise is to note every call you make and ask for the name of the officer you speak too and make a detailed note.Durham didnt want to issue a cover cert as I goes a a bad mark against them as they are not meeting the timescales.By the way its the new medical form that they where waiting for thats caused all the greif at £70 each.Mines going to go in 12mths in advance lol

Edited by Davyo

also they have sent me a land permission form to be completed by one of my permissions is this normal as I have had an open ticket for the past 5 years

you will need one allocated bit of land as your good reason iirc the new guidance may have them doing things slightly differently

I renewed my cert last october and every time the referee forms have gone in and all being posted together so they don't get lost .

But what i used to do was get the forms filled in put them in a envelope and seal them separate then the whole lot into one bid envelope and send away..

This time the FEO collected so it saved me postage so there were all my forms filled in and the 2 referee forms in separate envelopes for him to collect he went through them while he had a cuppa just to check that i had missed nothing out...

I am in the process of completing my SGC renewal application with Avon and Somerset Constaulary.

Their down load forms are up to date and explanations are clear and concise. All form pages are numbered including referee page(s) and you are advised to send in the "completed" form to the firearms licensing dept. It seems to me that if the form is to be complete it must therefore have all the numbered pages including the referee page(s). And the instructions regarding referees for a FAC ask for a written copy of authority to shoot over land/club membership (which is not compulsory but may speed up your application); and, two referees, with a note that it is "your" I.e. The applicants responsibility to ensure they are completed and returned.

All of this leads me to conclude that for my police authority they require the applicant to ensure all docs are correct and, returned and not that the referees should complete and forward their pages separately.

There is no requirement from Avon and Somerset for additional charges for medicals. I recall, but cannot find, previous posts on this issue but as you are a BASC member I suggest you raise this with them when you speak with them on Monday.

Edited by Bobba

Make sure you insist on a temp cert as Durham tried to refuse my mate, who has been waiting since sept for his renewal.He was phoned on xmas eve to be told that he had until the end of that day to get his guns to an RDF or face prosecution.He did tell them that he phoned to ask for a temp cert on 04/12/13.Only to be told that he did not phone.The officer even said we dont do temp certs.After a heated discussion she assured him that the temp cert they do not issue would be issued lol.So my advise is to note every call you make and ask for the name of the officer you speak too and make a detailed note.Durham didnt want to issue a cover cert as I goes a a bad mark against them as they are not meeting the timescales.By the way its the new medical form that they where waiting for thats caused all the greif at £70 each.Mines going to go in 12mths in advance lol

All your friend had to do was refuse to fill the medical form in and tell Durham to either grant or refuse his renewal. I renewed my fac in December last year didnt fill in the medical form and it took 6 weeks for my renewal to come through. :good:

I renewed my cert last october and every time the referee forms have gone in and all being posted together so they don't get lost .

But what i used to do was get the forms filled in put them in a envelope and seal them separate then the whole lot into one bid envelope and send away..

This time the FEO collected so it saved me postage so there were all my forms filled in and the 2 referee forms in separate envelopes for him to collect he went through them while he had a cuppa just to check that i had missed nothing out...

That is what I always do with Durham and have never had a problem, I also deliver them by hand and get who ever collects it to check and make sure nothing is missing.

A friend of mine applied for FAC/SGC in November 2013 using the old forms. He rang the FLO the other day only to be told they had not received the referees forms. He now has to sort that problem out himself. Is this something perculiar to Staffordshire Police?

That is one of the reasons i always put them all in the same envelope then if they say i haven't sent them but they have my application i can then tell them they have lost them not me..