Ruffed grouse hunting in Maine

Mike Connally

Nice pictures there Mike. Your tri-colour ES made me smile as I have one who just loves being in the back country as Joy obviously does! Do you have any pictures of your cabin that you would be willing to share? I'm in the process of building a 16x24 remote cabin that backs onto a nice pond with trout. Once I get the hang of resizing my pictures I'll put some up!

Nice pictures there Mike. Your tri-colour ES made me smile as I have one who just loves being in the back country as Joy obviously does! Do you have any pictures of your cabin that you would be willing to share? I'm in the process of building a 16x24 remote cabin that backs onto a nice pond with trout. Once I get the hang of resizing my pictures I'll put some up!

The cabin in that isn't ours. We happened upon it while hunting. The scenery was so beautiful that we decided to eat our lunch there. We stayed in a cabin at Libby Camps, a very remote outfitter in the Maine north woods.

Here's a pic of the cabin that we stayed in.

9.jpg

WOW what beautiful place. I bet you could get lost for days out there!

Thanks for sharing :)

Col

You sure could get lost. The Maine North Woods is 3 million acres of timber land owned by a consortium of lumber companies. All of the roads are gated and you pay a small trespass fee to enter. It is a truly wild place. The northern and western boundaries are on the Canadian border.

And it is nice to see what looks like a smaller bore side by side shotgun being used in the field. Nice pictures.

Yes, it's a 20 gauge. Almost all of my hunting is done with a 20. It is unquestionably the favored gauge for upland hunting in the States. Most ruffed grouse hunters try to use a double between 6 and 6 1/2 pounds.

I bet that it is pretty cold and deep with snow there now. Who owns and maintains the hut and who cutts all of the wood ect? What purpose is the hut put there for? Is it for forest workers or tourist or is it just there for general purpose shelter when there is bad weather like the have in Norway? That side by side has a fairly wide English style game rib. Is it a boxlock or a sidelock. questions / questions.

The cabins are all owned by Libby Camps. The photo of me eating lunch at the river valley was at old Nmber One Camp. A historic cabin from the old lumbering days. Libby Camps had just purchased it but hadn't restored it at ithe time we happened upon it. None of the cabins are open for survival or use in inclement weather. The entire 3 million acre area is privately owned by timber companies. There are only a few individual holdings like Libby Camps up there.

The side by side is a 20 gauge RBL by Connecticut Shotgun Company here in the states. A very nice boxlock.