local clay shoot

kipper

Well I went for a round of clays this morning at copper beeches near neather langwith.

And its closing down. :lol::oops::lol: Last day today :no:

They were taking peoples tel No just incase they set back up. but lots of people were saying that they dont think it will re-open. sounds like the owners of the ground are having relationship problems and could be selling up :no: . :angry:

I only shot 19/50 :lol: so as you can see I need all the practice I can get. or a good set of glasses. :good:

It was the first time I have been for months due to family comitments and weather and I wanted to start going on a regular basis again. :no:

Does anybody on here go there???

Kipper :D

Sorry to here that mate.

Anything like this can't be good for our sport.

I have read other posts about BASC, CPSA, etc. joining to become one organisation. Maybe this is what's needed to protect us; one big voice.

I hope this isn't permanent for your shooting ground and that it sorts itself out.

Best of luck, and keep us informed.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I will keep my fingers crossed, I hope it does re open. :good:

trouble is I dont know of any other clay ground locally. Arround chesterfield area. :lol: does any of you chaps know of any. there was talk about one called fox house in sheffield area. but Im not sure where???

Kipper :lol:

Hi kipper

I was also there yesterday and funnily enough did not shoot much better myself, stand 4 :good:

While I personally do not know where Fox House is I am following someone who does this coming Sunday morning if you wish you can join me/us. I beleive it is around a 12 mile journey so not too far :lol:

all the best

Steve

Its a shame about Copper beeches steve. I hope They sort things out I like it there.

I Know what you mean about stand No4, on stand No3 I hit 7 out of the 10 clays. confidence was up and I was happy, stand 4 I only hit 1 of the 10, I felt like throwing the gun into the fishing pond. But thats what its all about. I just need more practice I think.

thanks for the offer on joining you and your mates for a round on sunday.

I will pm you later on this week if thats ok with you.

Thanks for reply.

Kipper :yp:

Thats a shame about Copper Beeches, I've only been there once for a charity shoot last year for one of the members who died of cancer. I really enjoyed it and planned on going back sometime soon :angry:

I'm a member of Foxhouse, if you need directions just let me know and I'll sort something. (I should be up there this weekend)

Alex

Thanks Al buck,

What is it like at fox house.

How mutch does it cost for a round of clays, how many stands are there.

Thanks again

kipper :good:

Foxghouse is a friendly club, there is tea and coffee available in the clubhouse along with an open fire to warm up by (you have to fight your way to it at this time of year), unfortunatly due to space there aren't many targets at a distance, but this is made up for with other interesting targets and it can certainly be challenging with the wind :angry:

A round of 50 costs £10 for non-members and £9 for members, if you have a second round then it's a pound less and there are generally 6 or 7 stands

If you want a map for directions, email me and I'll do one on autoroute and email it to you.

Alex

Thanks Allex.

I have sent you a E-mail

Do you have a tel No for fox house.

Thanks again.

Kipper :lol:

And replied to you email :angry:

The only number I've got for Foxhouse is 0114 2663822. The guy who runs it is called Ray Carnall (can't find his mobile number at the moment).

when you arrive at Foxhouse, just park in the pub carpark (Foxhouse Inn) and you'll see a small white stone built barn which is the club house, just wander in to there and have a chat with whoever is taking money at the desk, normally it's June.

Oh and by the way, it's VERY exposed at Foxhouse so make sure you've got some warm clothing (I sound just like my mum :good: )

"Oh and by the way, it's VERY exposed at Foxhouse so make sure you've got some warm clothing (I sound just like my mum )"

You was spot on with that Advice Alex.

Its a lot different from Copper Beeches. But I really enjoyed it. there was sertainly some testing and varied clays. :D

I did not do that well but thats down to me :) I dont know my exact score because I was on my own and didn't have anybody to mark for me. (I will probably take my son to do the marking next time) :/

I think that I was the only person there without a hat on :) When I arrived it was snowing hard but half way round the sun came out :D but not for long :/ and then came the halestone :good: I did not shoot the last stand at the top of the hill. I felt like I was getting shot on my ears with a automatic BB gun :/

I will put more layers of cloathes on next time and a HAT :lol::P

Thanks for your advice chaps. :P

I think I could do with a lesson / tuition in the near future. do any of you know of a good instructer locally???.

Thank's again

Shane :P

Yeah the weather was a little err.......... testing (that hail was the worst).

Don't worry you weren't alone in not having a hat, I lent mine to a lad who was shooting round with us :/

If I'd have known that you were on your own I'd have told you to join up with us.

I ended up being joint high gun and then went in to a shoot off for the trophy, which I was lucky enough to win.

If you go up there next time, your welcome to join up with us and I'm sure Brian (the guy who I shoot with) would point out where your going wrong as he's pretty good as a coach.

???

Kipper..

HI, I was there at copper beach on the last day, first time and looks like last time. I thought it was very good, shot 30/50, well pleased.

Try; Stile Hollow, just down the road near the Robin Hood visitors centre, through the green gate on the left, first time Sunday, very good indeed 26/50, a bit poor but bloody cold and some hard stands. excellent shoot.

Try; Farnsfield, Crockett farm? tried that, not bad, style hollow the best so far.

Try; Press manor , Alton near Chesterfield, only shoot second Sunday of every month.

I'll try Fox House, live near so if good would make an ideal shoot......Bloody Cold up there!!!

Only men shoot at fox house in the winter!!

Thanks

Coops

Hi Coops.

"Only men shoot at fox house in winter!!"

The men that shoot fox house regular in winter must have skin like polar beares :P:no:

I have stood on rivers lakes and gravel pits in the middle of winter fishing for pike. and even had to breake Ice 3" thick, but I have never been so cold or battered by snow / hale stone and freezing cold wind than I was at Fox House. :lol::no:

Fox house would be worth trying for you mate they have a good variety of clays Verry testing ( well they were for an amateur like me anyway)

But just think how the trap lads must have felt :good::/ they was sat there in it, I take my hat off to them.(well I would have if I had remembered my hat) :lol::/ . sreiously tho they did do well to sit there through that testing weather for us. THANK YOU TRAP LADS. (not sure what the proper name is for them ??? )

The one near Robin Hood visitors centre Never heard of it mate.?

cocket farm I am going to try on sunday :/

And press manor. :good: Is that press manor with the fishing pond's??? If it is that is not far from where i live.

thanks for reply.

Kipper :/

Kipper,

yes it is at the side of the fishing ponds at press, contact number 01246 233683 - Mr Barratt.

Friendly bunch of guy's, tried it out on boxing day....Felt wads only.

You must try Stile Hollow, well worth a trip. I'd tell you the number, but the score card got a tad wet!

I'll be going on Sunday if you want to come along, let me know?

I live in Chesterfield

Another shooting ground near Farnsfield on the 614 Blidworth, not tried that yet...Has anybody been???

Cheers

Thank's for the offer on sunday coops but I have allready arranged to go to cockett farm.

mabe some other time though mate. :huh:

the one at farnsfield are you sure thats not the cockett farm one???

thanks for the pressmanor number and I will try style hollow in the near future.

Which area in chesterfield are you mate???

Kipper :blush:

Hi Kipper,

Any time on the shoot mate, no worries! I go alone (sounds sad hey)

There are two clay shoots very close together, cockett farm and another just down the road on A614, you can hear them from cockett farm.

Ashgate...the sunny side of town! up near the hospice.

Takecare and have fun

Don't forget Sundays at Farnsfield is only 40 bird, Saturdays are 50!!

Hi Kipper,

Any time on the shoot mate, no worries! I go alone (sounds sad hey)

There are two clay shoots very close together, cockett farm and another just down the road on A614, you can hear them from cockett farm.

Ashgate...the sunny side of town! up near the hospice.

Takecare and have fun

Don't forget Sundays at Farnsfield is only 40 bird, Saturdays are 50!!

Don't forget Sundays at Farnsfield is only 40 bird

Is that cocket farm coops. (at least 20 of them clays will be safe with the way I am shooting mate :good::lol: )

Yes we will have to go for a round of clays in the near future mate I will look forward to it.

Kipper :good:

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks, I've just starting to get into clay shooting, and joined this forum. I noticed the comments about Copper Beeches, which is where I shoot.

It's stated up this year under new management, the chap that runs it is Nigel who is really helpful and has bought a load of new traps including a "looper"

Its open on Sunday mornings 10 - 1.00, and I hear he's planning to open in the evening during the summer, not sure which day tho'.

:blush:

hi

Out of interest mate what is the price nowdays at copper beeches? not been since it closed down. If you bump into a gent by the name of richard tell him to give steve a call :blush: If you fancy giving foxhouse a bash let us know

regards

steve

Hi Steve, They are charging £10 for a 50 bird shoot, if you have 2 rounds you get the 2nd round for £8. There are a few Richards, do you know his surname?

Maybe i'll see you there sometime ... tend to go most Sundays now as I've got to get out of the low 20's :wacko:

Hi

His name is Branson but not that one :w00t: He will turn up in a learner driver car hes also a proper de da lol. From what I remember it can be pretty difficult setup at copper beeches keep at it mate it will come good :w00t: Its quite possible i will see you there sometime

regards

Steve

I'll ask around and let you know. Thanks for the encouragement, as the song states " it can only get better :w00t:

Keep in touch and I may well take you up on the offer of a visit to Foxhouses.

If you get chance to come to Copper Beeches, let me know when........................ flavellj@aol.com

Rgds. John