shooting geese - greylag

nb28

Alright folks, relatively new to this gamw having just recently got my shotgun license. Took a greylag down last week but I need to change my strategy so I can shoot alone. normally we would find a flock of birds, then take a position and have someone come behind the geese and hopefully put them in our direction, it works but I need to be able to go alone.

Looking for information on good calls and decoys, I think I know where they roost at nights so I can hopefully sit and wait or I can set up early in the morning and hopefully call them in. Just trial and error really.

Any help is much appreciated

Find out where they're roosting and, ideally, feeding then put yourself on the flightline.

Decoys depend on your scenerio - don't know if you're inland or on the foreshore or shooting splashes etc?

Calls - greylag hammer or get a UK made one from Eddie Nixon at Solway Calls

Eddie Nixon calls are fantastic, very reasonable priced at £26 posted. Also had sucess with a cheap and cheerful Loham Gold from an auction site. The cheapest decoys about are Sillosocks or even a couple of home made silhoutes from ply wood. Plenty of calling tuition on Youtube.

Alright folks, relatively new to this gamw having just recently got my shotgun license. Took a greylag down last week but I need to change my strategy so I can shoot alone. normally we would find a flock of birds, then take a position and have someone come behind the geese and hopefully put them in our direction, it works but I need to be able to go alone.

Looking for information on good calls and decoys, I think I know where they roost at nights so I can hopefully sit and wait or I can set up early in the morning and hopefully call them in. Just trial and error really.

Any help is much appreciated

Shoot to close to the roost morning or evening and they will move on

Not necessarily.

You wont do it more than a few times before it happens. Near every wildfowling club has rules about digging in on the sand etc. One of the clubs I shoot has the best of all rule "no shooting geese on or near their roost wherever they occur" ie if geese come down to roost slap bang in the middle of the marsh- you don't shoot it!

Shoot a few hundred yards away on the flight path and things are very different, they stand for a lot more then but in their bedroom they hate it!

You wont do it more than a few times before it happens. Near every wildfowling club has rules about digging in on the sand etc. One of the clubs I shoot has the best of all rule "no shooting geese on or near their roost wherever they occur" ie if geese come down to roost slap bang in the middle of the marsh- you don't shoot it!Shoot a few hundred yards away on the flight path and things are very different, they stand for a lot more then but in their bedroom they hate it!

100% Correct Kent. I know of a 40,000 Goose roost that now holds only a few hundred Geese now and again due to the antics discribed

You wont do it more than a few times before it happens. Near every wildfowling club has rules about digging in on the sand etc. One of the clubs I shoot has the best of all rule "no shooting geese on or near their roost wherever they occur" ie if geese come down to roost slap bang in the middle of the marsh- you don't shoot it!

Shoot a few hundred yards away on the flight path and things are very different, they stand for a lot more then but in their bedroom they hate it!

That's exactly what i'm saying. It's a rule in the club I shoot to not shoot on the mud and i'm glad of that.. I shoot quite near where the geese roost and they return time and again.

That's exactly what i'm saying. It's a rule in the club I shoot to not shoot on the mud and i'm glad of that.. I shoot quite near where the geese roost and they return time and again.

The closer you get the more you put them off basically, if you dig in right on the roost it might only last a few flights at best, 100 yds not much better 600 yards not a great issue unless its every flight- they can and will change their route if under too great a pressure BUT on or near they only have one option