Remington 597 and Webley WSA-22

LeadWasp

Hi - Does anyone have any practical experience or can point me to reviews of either the .22LR Remington 597 semi-auto or the Webley and Scott A-22?

Just wondering how they compare to the good ol' Ruger 10/22?

I've heard the Remington has a good sized quality stock, is accurate but needs some slicking to avoid jams (guide rails especially).

The Webley is a complete mystery. Nothing on the Webley website or Highland Outdoors...............

thanks!

I have the Remington 597 and like the rifle very nice synthetic stock and so quick light to carry around a permission. The only issue is not with the guide I found but with the magazine. There are several generations of these and gen 1&2 are prone to jamming badly. Gen 3 is far better the 10 round mag I have doesn't jam so long as you spray it with gun oil after each time out to clean the worse off of it. Then it's fine. The 30 round mags you can get for it is just great fun!! But again cleaning is paramount to good working of it all.

I have the Remington 597 and like the rifle very nice synthetic stock and so quick light to carry around a permission. The only issue is not with the guide I found but with the magazine. There are several generations of these and gen 1&2 are prone to jamming badly. Gen 3 is far better the 10 round mag I have doesn't jam so long as you spray it with gun oil after each time out to clean the worse off of it. Then it's fine. The 30 round mags you can get for it is just great fun!! But again cleaning is paramount to good working of it all.

Thanks bighit - I've heard about the mag cleaning issues. Do you know what serial numbers Gen3 start at? Also any feelings for accuracy and ammo preference especially subs vs HV?

I will never have another 597! It was a real pain! Shame as I prefered how it handled compared to the 1022. I bet a 597 in 22mag is good!

I know nowt about the Webley.

The 597 was very accurate but not reliable with anything but HV ammo. No matter what modifications I made the thing would not handle subbies. The bolt is to heavy in my opinion! Same bolt is used for the magnum rimfires I assume! The magazine had me blaspheming to much!

Now the older Remmie auto and pump I can get on with!

U.

I will never have another 597! It was a real pain! Shame as I prefered how it handled compared to the 1022. I bet a 597 in 22mag is good!

I know nowt about the Webley.

The 597 was very accurate but not reliable with anything but HV ammo. No matter what modifications I made the thing would not handle subbies. The bolt is to heavy in my opinion! Same bolt is used for the magnum rimfires I assume! The magazine had me blaspheming to much!

Now the older Remmie auto and pump I can get on with!

U.

597 in 22wmr is fantastic

Thanks guys - food for thought. Don't like the look of the CZ or the Anschutz etc. The 597 looked like an interesting alternative.

I tried Highland outdoors for a review or something about the Webley. I got a prompt reply but only to say that they were out of stock and back in soon. I asked again but no reply yet.......it's only been a couple of working days. However if Webley have a new product I would have expected a marketing drive!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK so I picked up the Remington 597 heavy barrel version last night. Getting it has been a lesson on patience as SMK now market these and to begin with they knew nowt about them.

Anyway the barrel has been shortened to 16.5 inches and threaded by Riflecraft. These guys have done a really nice job. I chose a Third Eye reflex mod, the finish of which nicely compliments the Parkerised finish on the barrel. It is a nicely compact truck gun now.

I took the thing apart last night to give it a thorough clean and it is easy peasy to do. At first I got the hump as I thought there was rust but it was just a nasty brown grease the manufacturer has used!! Shiny now!

I'm 6'4" and the polymer stock is OK for me. Not the quality of the CZ silhouette for example but nicer than the Sako Quad. No studs as yet but it should take some. The metal mag is much nicer in the flesh than the pictures suggest.

Took it out by the river to zero it today with a mate. We started with Win subs which it refused to cycle. Tried with RWS Subs and it ran beautifully. Got on the board at 12yds, nice and tightly so moved straight back to 50yds. The trigger is a really heavy stiff pull with no second pressure, so it will definitely have to go and be replaced by the Volquartsen. However despite this we got killing groups which were tight enough to be fair given the trigger and put about 60 rounds through it. No jams and sweet cycling. The mag is really a 9 round affair, the extra tenth is very reluctant. Nice cross bolt safety. Loving the Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10 x 50 with BDC.

I'll post some groups when I've sorted the trigger. So far I'm pleased with it and it will do want I want. True, the quality is nothing like an SA-22 but hey...welcome to the 21st Century!

The best thing is it has turned up just when the fields round here are suddenly full of buns and hares! Rabbit Dhansak...........

I've had my nearly new 597 Yellow Jacket for a week only so no real experience with it although it ran two mags full of CCI subs with no problem at all but as you found wouldn't cycle Winchester or in my case Eley subs either. I'm certain a bit of honing here and there will get it to cycle other brands as well but part of the issue is probably simply to do with the head shapes which refuse to dive into the chamber as god intended.

To say I'm impressed with the ease of use and accuracy is an understatement, two of my mates used to have 10/22's which were utter rubbish in standard format both in accuracy and if honest in feeding issues as well, as for the triggers :rolleyes: the Ruger is :rolleyes: horrible there too.

There are loads of Youtube clips on the 597 and they seem to really rate them, particularly in accuracy terms. I'm certain mine has a metal magazine but I need to buy a couple more if anyone knows of a supplier ?

Wow the yellowjacket has a fairly wild laminated stock doesn't it?

I went for the 597 just to try something different and chose it after a fair bit of research. As you say loads on YouTube and they rate as pretty good out of the box.

Both Midway UK and Riflemags list 597 generation 3 metal mags plus some plastic 25rnd versions. However they appear to be out of stock at present.

I'm trying to get hold of some match grade ammo like Lapua's to push the Remmy a bit and see what it can do but nobody seems to keep anything round my way.

There are various posts on the internet about slacking off the guide rails about a quarter of a turn to help with cycling...and other stuff too....

Wow the yellowjacket has a fairly wild laminated stock doesn't it?

I went for the 597 just to try something different and chose it after a fair bit of research. As you say loads on YouTube and they rate as pretty good out of the box.

Both Midway UK and Riflemags list 597 generation 3 metal mags plus some plastic 25rnd versions. However they appear to be out of stock at present.

I'm trying to get hold of some match grade ammo like Lapua's to push the Remmy a bit and see what it can do but nobody seems to keep anything round my way.

There are various posts on the internet about slacking off the guide rails about a quarter of a turn to help with cycling...and other stuff too....

Mate of mine who is handy with guns reckons snipping a few coils of the springs might work too but in essence polishing the moving parts and lubing correctly can't hurt. We sprayed the mech with oil and it then fed four rounds of Winnies as well so it is doable. I don't care anyway because I'll just stick with CCI subs but according to Youtube reviews they cycle everything standard velocity and above.

• 1 year later...

Update on mine, after about 800 rounds with zero cleaning to see when it starts to misfeed I got bored and stripped the action and predictably the first clip or two were kind of erratic which I think is partly down to me cleaning the barrel too which rimfires just don't seem to need.

The gun continues to amaze me with its 50-100 yard plus accuracy, last week I was hitting tennis ball or smaller size clumps of earth at some surprising distances and it continues to feed CCI and even Winchesters but I find underloading the magazine by a couple of rounds definitely helps as it seems to be the magazine which causes the misfeeds.