SGC on me or in the car?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are stopped as part of a routine check as they call it the officer will already know you are a sgc/fac holder as they will have checked the cars reg and have your details as long as its your car that is.i carry my cert in my cartridge bag as that goes everywhere with me when I am shooting there is no chance of it getting lost and then my ownership can also be easily checked.

What happens if your car gets pinched?:-)

you walk home and then claim the insurance.simple

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can put this one to bed wether you take the advice is up to you, so here goes.

If you are in possession of firearm or ammunition or certain component parts you must have the appropriate paperwork and produce it once a constable requests it, that means there and now, if you don't you commit the offence of failing to produce.

In regards to being stopped not all cops are up to speed with every bit of firearms legislation, it's quite lengthy and complicated. There is a chance that the officer stopping you doesn't want the grief or has something else on more pressing to deal with. However you may get stopped by an officer who knows the legislation inside out, if this is the case and you don't have your certificates the consequences could be dyer. All officers are different and certain forces have their own policy and procedure so the rules in one may be different in another be careful.

Regarding checking details via the radio the pnc is not always up and running and scheduled maintence is very common. Each force has it's own database however not every radio room operator has access to this database, supervisors do have access but at certain times there is only a couple on duty even less during the night. But what if that force is dealing with a ongoing critical incident they may not be able to carry out the check, and what if the force you are in is different to the force what issued the certificate.

Regarding photocopies and I'd. Being in possession of either is better than nothing, at least you made some sort of effort. Compare this to not having anything with you, this will only delay the checks take more time and will probably end up with the officer seizing your gun.

So if you don't want your guns confiscated your licence revoked or even fined carry your certificate with you,why take the chance.

I hope this helps and you don't end up in the clarts.

I can put this one to bed wether you take the advice is up to you, so here goes.

If you are in possession of firearm or ammunition or certain component parts you must have the appropriate paperwork and produce it once a constable requests it, that means there and now, if you don't you commit the offence of failing to produce.

In regards to being stopped not all cops are up to speed with every bit of firearms legislation, it's quite lengthy and complicated. There is a chance that the officer stopping you doesn't want the grief or has something else on more pressing to deal with. However you may get stopped by an officer who knows the legislation inside out, if this is the case and you don't have your certificates the consequences could be dyer. All officers are different and certain forces have their own policy and procedure so the rules in one may be different in another be careful.

Regarding checking details via the radio the pnc is not always up and running and scheduled maintence is very common. Each force has it's own database however not every radio room operator has access to this database, supervisors do have access but at certain times there is only a couple on duty even less during the night. But what if that force is dealing with a ongoing critical incident they may not be able to carry out the check, and what if the force you are in is different to the force what issued the certificate.

Regarding photocopies and I'd. Being in possession of either is better than nothing, at least you made some sort of effort. Compare this to not having anything with you, this will only delay the checks take more time and will probably end up with the officer seizing your gun.

So if you don't want your guns confiscated your licence revoked or even fined carry your certificate with you,why take the chance.

I hope this helps and you don't end up in the clarts.

funny that, been stopped a few times ( hazard of rabbiting at 3am) even had the heli job and armed response whilst on the pigeon, not once repeat not once was I asked for my license,and no unless I am needing ammo or carts I dont carry it.

KW

It's a good idea to ring the local police station informing them that you are shooting give them times type of weapon location, it will stop the cavalry ascending on you. This is due to members of the public seeing a firearm then calling the police exaggerating the circumstances

It's a good idea to ring the local police station informing them that you are shooting....

That's one of the top ten phrases to spark a ten page debate on this forum.

Plenty of posts to suggest that it doesn't stop them providing a strong response and just fits in with the Health and Safety brigade.

I havent phoned in on any of my permissions for shooting at any time of the day but then I haven't had too much more than a couple of neighbours poking their heads round the gate and seeing how I was getting on. Had an interesting discussion on the merits of vermin control vs letting the fluffy things live but it was amicable and I wasn't doing anything illegal.

Back on topic, I've since found an app that allows a PDF to be saved down in a password protected folder on my iPhone so will have a digital copy of both my certs whenever I'm out...that's if the iPhone battery survives.

I have photos of FAC/SGC/PERM SLIP on iPhone, a photocopy is usually in my shooting jacket pocket. The originals often in the glove box in one of those special licence wallet things...

All this legal nonsense and "I shouldn't have to" "I know my rights" nonsense is all well and good, but I have had the police turn up whilst shooting and I showed them the doc's and off they went (All in under 5 minutes). Without all that on me, I would have had to have walked to his car to be checked and talk more etc... or held up for ages waiting whilst they use their radios or phones to find out about you etc...

I know that if I was a policeman and I saw a person or two with guns and I had the knackers to go and apprehend them, then if they showed me the paperwork and all was good they'd be on their way quick. If they were all "i don't have to show you anything" stuff then I would make their day a tad worse.

Dont carry mine. Stays at home. Too much grief to replace.

I do have wallet with id on me. The bobbies have radios and pnc!!!

Yes they do, but how much hassle is a wallet in your pocket with a bit of paper in it? (even a copy)

Possibly less hassle than a policeman (especially if they are a jobsworth or having a bad day) and decide that you need to walk 20 mins back to where they parked their vehicle whilst they do more checks and more?)

much rather "Oh hi officer.... yes I do have permission and the correct licences for what I am doing... want to see?... ok here they are.... ok, have a good day officer....." and then to carry on shooting.

• 1 month later...