Breeks and how to wear them?

adam f

So I bought a cheap pair of breeks in the jan sales, I've always fancied a pair for game shooting but never been too sure.

Anyway, how do I wear these things? They seem to be traditional way and have stood the test of time, but I can't see how only having sock below the knee is a warm and waterproof way to go ahead?

Specifically, how do I rig the sock / breek around the knee area?

Guest rimotu66

Pretty much as Kennett says :good: but I can pull the socks a bit further as I only have little legs :lol:

I must add 'without the thermals, there for girls' :whistling:

Edited by rimotu66

When you "set" the breeks (tighten the hem), do it with your leg on a chair and that way you have a good range of movement for climbing over fences and gates. If you are wearing socks, breeks over. If your wearing stockings and garters, breeks tucked in. The more flamboyant the stockings the better :lol:

The fly zip goes to the front.

Sorry. Breeks are a throw back to the days before efficient rubber boots and waterproof overtrousers and were never intended to be worn with rubber boots.

Their purpose is that, unlike trousers where the bottom of the leg will get wet in long grass and undergrowth, the main breek, their being no lower leg material, remains dry. The socks are in effect sacrificial, it being easier to carry and change a couple of pairs of wet socks than to walk round in wet trousers.

When you "set" the breeks (tighten the hem), do it with your leg on a chair and that way you have a good range of movement for climbing over fences and gates. If you are wearing socks, breeks over. If your wearing stockings and garters, breeks tucked in. The more flamboyant the stockings the better :lol:

IMHO like Sabs says

So

Set the breeks (buckle or not) then pull the stocking up and over the knee, tie the garter by selecting the mid point of the garter, place this on the out side of the leg pass the ends around the leg to meet back up on the out side, tie a simple knot (the first part of your shoe lace knot) lay the ends down and fold the stocking back over the garter, this will hold it all in place

The garter should be positioned just below the knee and above the calf to save slipping and above the rim on the breeks

Breeks don't get tucked in!!

that must look ******* rediculous!

been wearing them since I was a kid and the whole point of the buckle or velcro tab is to double as a closer for the leg and to clamp the top of the sock

once the breeks are closed round the sock you shouldn't have a problem with range of movement or either the breeks are too small or your legs are shaped like drainpipes

can only close comfortably in one place, the narrower bit between bottom of knee and top of calf surely

if wearing without gaiters get some undersocks and some heavier woolen socks. you will be surprised how much water they shed (unless you go wading!)

my preference is yeti gaiters

The following does not take the place of the 'flamboyant' stockings and garters to match which is all about shooting lore. However, for a quick fix - particularly if the wife,daughter or anyone else who you know works in the 'caring' profession - the elasticated velcro secured catheter bag supports make the best garter. And they weren't even designed for the purpose! Furthermore, they're very cheap - £0.00!

Breeks don't get tucked in!!

that must look ******* rediculous!

been wearing them since I was a kid and the whole point of the buckle or velcro tab is to double as a closer for the leg and to clamp the top of the sock

Oh yes they do, socks under as you suggest, stockings and garters over

Don't forget put the fold over stocking top edge over the top of your welly to stop stuff getting down your welly tops.

The brighter and more patterned the stockings and garters the better, and get your man swagger right.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

I certainly do, as i wear the brightest stockings and garters i can find, and they have a big top specifically to cover up the sock/breek/garter interface. I can understand going over the top of normal straight socks. They arent really "tucked" in, the stockings cover the buckle and hem and the loose breek material bags back.over the top of the sock, doesn't look like when old men tuck on trouser leg in to ride a bike!

you tuck the breeks into the socks?

socks over the top of the breeks?

Socks under breeks

Stockings ( un rolled come up onto or above knee) and garters, those fancy things you tie around, over breeks

Spare material of the breeks hangs over, 2 inch plus 2's, 4 inch of overhang plus 4's

I've never pulled stockings over wellies?, the stocking garter breek combination should fill the adjusted wellie top

Very very comfortable, keeps splashes and sheds rain out side the wellie as a general rule

Edited by Paul223

Socks under breeks

Stockings ( un rolled come up onto or above knee) and garters, those fancy things you tie around, over breeks

Spare material of the breeks hangs over, 2 inch plus 2's, 4 inch of overhang plus 4's

I've never pulled stockings over wellies?, the stocking garter breek combination should fill the adjusted wellie top

Very very comfortable, keeps splashes and sheds rain out side the wellie as a general rule

Same here

• 3 years later...

Not a lot of point wearing breeks if you're going to wear gaiters

Just thought it would be cooler and more comfortable.

To clarify its for walked up, long (wet) grass, stubble, cover crop that sort of thing. Don't want to wear leggings or wellies as to hot .

Other option is my treggings but again probably too hot

Edited by ips