Rat Smoker

The Pest Expert

I use an old petrol leaf blower with a bit extra oil in the mix and I altered the exhaust so it blows into the air flow for better results,and as a bonus it is not as loud as an old chain saw/

same as above you can relay get the smoke down the holes fast :good:

Thankyou for the replies guy but i have a smoker same as the weed wand ones you can make your self i was just wondering what solution to use in it?.. Ive tried oils but they catch fire.. Bought some smoke machine solution because i was told that it would work but after buying i have read a few topics saying its not toxic enough they wont bolt? Thanks again!

would these suggestions bolt rabbits? cheers

Not sure about bolting rabbits

However you could try stinking them out I use

Fircones and soak them in a bucket of reynardine

( used to keep foxes away from sheep ) drop a couple down each hole eave one clear for them to use come back the next day and you will find most rabbits are reluctant to return to there berries I think they used creasote in years gone buy but not shure if its still obtainable or legal

All the best

Of

Edited by Old farrier

Have a look on YOUTUBE there`s a few vids on how to make one and what oils to use.

It would seem to be about vaporizing the oil and it coming out of a jet.

Far enough away from the flame that it doesn`t ignite.

On one of the vids there`s a bloke using a home made one.

Running on 50/50 old engine oil and Red Diesel. It smoked like hell.

Very toxic I would have thought. I have used an old 2 stroke Strimmer engine over oiled.

It worked well but they come out of there holes well Pi***** off. And run like hell.

I much prefer to put bait down and shoot the Rats with Night Vision. It`s all good fun.

( used to keep foxes away from sheep ) drop a couple down each hole eave one clear for them to use come back the next day and you will find most rabbits are reluctant to return to there berries I think they used creasote in years gone buy but not shure if its still obtainable or legal

All the best

Of

I thought reynardine wasn't available to buy anymore. I have a feeling that it has been made illegal to use.

Proberably has now farmer gives me the stuff he uses thought it was just a brand name sorry if I've suggested some thing illegal

I will check befor I use anymore

There are many products that will stink out rabbits

Parafine was another

All the best

Of

Didn't think for one minute you were suggesting something illegal. I used to use the stuff years ago and it was good stuff (they always seen to ban effective stuff). My sister in law was having foxes in her garden last year and it wasn't the best for shooting or trapping so I tried to get Reynardine to try and sort the problem for her, that's the only reason I found out it was no longer available. Over the last couple of years I have been telling different people to try this product not knowing it wasn't allowed so people have probably been asking for it, being told it's illegal and thinking I'm a right duckegg. :/

It's amazing what some old farmers have just lying in there sheds, sometimes it hasn't been around for donkeys years.

Edited by r1steele

There is a lad on you tube got a good idea in Aus he uses a snake and it doesn't half shift the rabbits

where can i get one , might be a bit difficult to put a collar on though, then theres the anti-venom and the very big gloves. I remember years ago reading about a bloke bolting mice with a bumble bee!

All the best

Of

the stink from my ferrets alone is enough to bolt rabbits....(nose plugs anyone?)

the stink from my ferrets alone is enough to bolt rabbits....(nose plugs anyone?)

Now that could be a marketing opportunity, Take the scent from any predator and waft it about a burrow entrance! come to think of it the gas after a few beers and a vindaloo might do the job, I'll let you know how it goes

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know why people think its necessary to add extra oil to a smoker. The engine running as it should be kicks out enough exhaust fumes (not smoke) to get the rats bolting. The amount of videos on youtube shows the majority of users putting enough down the holes to kill more under the earth, rather than have them bolt to the terriers. Try putting some fumes in the holes then switching the engine off & stay quiet, we started killing far more using this technique