Rat Smoker

The Pest Expert

Thanks for that. I was thinking bolting to nets or gun, save ferreting

I'm going to wade into an old conversation for the sake of setting the record straight.

Smoking rabbits out does not work. They'll hold tight and (sometimes) just die in the tunnel.

If they did bolt with smoke, we'd of lost the art of ferreting for rabbits years ago, much the same as we've lost lost the art for ferreting for rats in favor of smoking them out.

• 5 years later...

Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!   Now your talkin'

Joking apart, find yourself an old chain saw preferably with the exhaust coming out of the bottom or adapt a pipe to do that.  Mix your fuel a litle bit oil heavy, choose a suitable rat hole and sit the exhayst over it giving the saw motor frequent revs. Obviously remove the bar and chain.   Had an old McConnel saw which we used for just that.  Used to have a couple of us standing with shotguns and had some sport.  Works well in release pens at seasons end.  You can attach a pipe and put that down the hole which is easier if the holes are in tricky positions, hedgerows etc.

32 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!   Now your talkin'

Joking apart, find yourself an old chain saw preferably with the exhaust coming out of the bottom or adapt a pipe to do that.  Mix your fuel a litle bit oil heavy, choose a suitable rat hole and sit the exhayst over it giving the saw motor frequent revs. Obviously remove the bar and chain.   Had an old McConnel saw which we used for just that.  Used to have a couple of us standing with shotguns and had some sport.  Works well in release pens at seasons end.  You can attach a pipe and put that down the hole which is easier if the holes are in tricky positions, hedgerows etc.

go one better ...................400CFM compresser ....pipe down the ole........................"PULL"......:shoot:................there would be doubles ...trebles ...delayed singles....christ they would come out of the ground like a pygmies blowpipe dart boi..........

• 2 weeks later...

Never liked them, when I did a lot of ratting with my terriers I relied on the terriers finding and marking holes, we would dig along side the dogs. The rare time we used smokers we often found dead rats in stop ends. OK as pest control but no good for our team. Also wasn't keen on dogs breathing in fumes. 

Can you still buy carbide ?  My grandfather used to use it for blowing out rats. You have to be careful as I remember him blowing a chicken pen to bits on one occasion.  Put a bit too much down the hole.  Back then a few still had carbide lamps on their bikes.  For those who haven't a clue what I am on about, if you add a little water to carbide it will probuce and inflamable and if confined an explosive gas.  I think putting a propane tube down the hole has replaced it these days and that can be pretty spectacular.

53 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Can you still buy carbide ?  My grandfather used to use it for blowing out rats. You have to be careful as I remember him blowing a chicken pen to bits on one occasion.  Put a bit too much down the hole.  Back then a few still had carbide lamps on their bikes.  For those who haven't a clue what I am on about, if you add a little water to carbide it will probuce and inflamable and if confined an explosive gas.  I think putting a propane tube down the hole has replaced it these days and that can be pretty spectacular.

The maximum penalty for using an explosive, other than ammunition for a firearm, to kill wild animals is £5,000 and six months in prison. There is a similar penalty for asphyxiating any wild animal with intent to inflict unnecessary suffering, which is a potential consequence of incomplete destruction of an occupied burrow system.

http://rodenator.eu/natural-england

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Good stuff but now also highly illegal. Crazy people, we had more wildlife back in the 50s than they have now.

i was looking for carbide when i was thinking of buying or making my own acetylene generator ....its a bit pricy ...tis on the net..