sell up or modify?

fieldwanderer

I recently did a little experimenting with my franchi raptor to see what difference a higher comb would make. I have a relatively long neck and high cheek bones, I've known this for a long time but still bought a gun that didn't fit me - I've no idea what I was thinking to be honest!

I built the comb up a fair way with tape and high density foam until my pupil was just above the bead when viewed in a mirror, it feels much better and I'm shooting quite a bit better with it too. I patterned the gun and every choke shot a foot or so low at 40yds except the full choke which was still low but more like 4-6". I've left that choke in and, despite the tighter pattern, I'm shooting even better now!

So, I emailed a guy about having an adjustable comb fitted and the price seems quite reasonable £190 but he did say it may not be possible because auto's often don't have much wood to work with.

I've no other issues with the gun, it's reliable and I've yet to find any ammunition it doesn't cycle well. It's also a nice looking gun but I must admit I'd happily sell if I found an auto that fits me properly.

What would you do? Can you think of a similar gun (possibly beretta or similar) that has a high comb or can be adjusted to suit me (the raptor has shims but none even come close, the comb would need to be on the high side in the first place).

Get a gunsmith to make a comb to the right height and profile for you and fitted to the stock properly.

It can be added so it looks like a monte carlo stock.

Figgy

I've seen this but would expect it to be considerably more expensive? considering the gun wasn't really that expensive I'm reluctant to spend too much on it to be honest

If an adjustable is not possible a price can be laminated into the comb to raise it to the correct height.

Or possible try a trap gun Remi 1100 trap etc.

lincs1963 posted a link to one of those remingtons, I must admit I'm tempted :good:

Had a look online and the consensus is they shoot low anyway so long neck high cheek bones your on a hiding to nothing. Pop round your local clay ground and try as many semi autos as you can, see if one suits you better. I'm six foot three but stocky so most guns of Beretta diamentions suit me off the rack but a lad who shoots at our club is like yourself and gets away with a beretta with a long pad and overall length of pull of 151/2".

Figgy

If you don't want to spend much. Changing to a better fitting gun will probably cost the same if you can find one that is. Get a price for doing the work, it might not be that expensive.

Figgy

You've got a point, I meant I'd rather not spend too much altering what amounts to a relatively cheap gun

Has it got the plastic/weathecoat covered stock, if it has you cannot cut into it. I had the same problem with my Raptor, great gun but ended up trading it for something that fitted a lot better.

it has :/ I really am starting to think about having a clearout and treating myself :ninja:

is that because the coating chips Dave? I'd consider re-finishing the stock if that's all

I recently did a little experimenting with my franchi raptor to see what difference a higher comb would make. I have a relatively long neck and high cheek bones, I've known this for a long time but still bought a gun that didn't fit me - I've no idea what I was thinking to be honest!

I built the comb up a fair way with tape and high density foam until my pupil was just above the bead when viewed in a mirror, it feels much better and I'm shooting quite a bit better with it too. I patterned the gun and every choke shot a foot or so low at 40yds except the full choke which was still low but more like 4-6". I've left that choke in and, despite the tighter pattern, I'm shooting even better now!

So, I emailed a guy about having an adjustable comb fitted and the price seems quite reasonable £190 but he did say it may not be possible because auto's often don't have much wood to work with.

I've no other issues with the gun, it's reliable and I've yet to find any ammunition it doesn't cycle well. It's also a nice looking gun but I must admit I'd happily sell if I found an auto that fits me properly.

What would you do? Can you think of a similar gun (possibly beretta or similar) that has a high comb or can be adjusted to suit me (the raptor has shims but none even come close, the comb would need to be on the high side in the first place).

If you do sell it have a look at a Remington versamax , if they are in your price bracket, the comb is made of high density foam and you can buy additional ones of different heights and they just pop straight in , remington also do a 1100 with a adjustable comb but it is a bit pricey

But I would stick with it and buy a beartooth comb raising kit

FW, the coating is like a plastic laminate, if you cut into it, it will start to peel.I think the chequering is moulded into the finish, not cut into the wood.It is not designed to be stripped off. I was forever taping on comb raisers, until I picked up a 525 (with adjustable comb), set the height and forgot about it. Much happier shooting with it than I was the Raptor.

I thought these stocks could be adjusted via shims!

U.

They can but only fine adjustments, even with two shims both raising the butt I need a good 1/2" or more. If I put my cheek "bone" on the comb, all I can see is the back of my thumb, then an inch or so of the back of the action (assuming that's what it's called).

Agreed, I'll see what I can do. However, inaccurate though it may be, I really don't see shims getting it anywhere near high enough - I think it'll take something a bit more drastic.

I'll see what's said though, I don't really mind how - I just want to make a noticeable improvement to fit, which will also include some coaching no doubt to put a few bad habits right too - hmm, probably more like a lot of coaching then....