Trigger weight

beachbouy_ipswich

From out of the box Remmington triggers have always been on the heavy side. I shouldn't back it off just yet as they lighten and crisp up with use, not trying to save you the effort its quite easy to turn the screw but you will soon be working with a less than safe trigger if you don't wait a bit first.

Looking at a 700 with the stock off and the action at your left and the barrel pointing off to your right, there are three screws on the trigger unit

9 o'clock (the top one) is over travel, the one below this is pull weight ON THE REAR FACE is sear engagement (do not alter the rear screw)

To check pull weight you can make you own pull gauge with some fishing line or wire by just measuring out a weight attaching it to the cord and looping the cord around the trigger then lifting the gun - I should suggest not less than 3 lb ever on a new out of the box hunting rifle. Still carry out all the other checks for full sear engagement.

Bear in mind that the trigger will be considerably better after a few hundred cycles. Why not just get a snap cap and spend a while in on the sofa watching the TV and running it in rather than get the tools out?

Lots of stuff on guns is easy but triggers can give serious repercussions if you get it wrong

After market trigger is the way to go. Put a timmney in my 700. But first see if someone has fitted one and try before you buy.

What would a Timney cost...£100-£150 probably.

Seems a lot to invest in a 770, which at the end of the day is a budget/workhorse rifle!

Just an opinion. :good:

Edited by Dekers

Its funny to see the number of people who are happy to ignore information. The info is there clear as day in the 5 second google search that i pasted above. Still cant get the 700/770 difference into their minds ????? L m f a o

my brittish to american translations might be rusty, but I think there is a phrase about drinking a horse you've lead to the water???

thanks

rick

Wow thanks for all the replies, i had already checked google but wanted to see what people thought(who may of done this)

So it is a budget rifle/workhorse but a damn good one for the cost.

It has seen around 150 rounds and i have had no thoughts about adjusting it beofre to see if it became lighter.

But it hasnt !

A hunting rifle should have no less than 2 3/4lb preferably 3lb is good most reviews say.

So rather than do it myself and im a pretty good carpenter/handyman mt guns are always something i do not like to tinker with myself.

I think a trip to mallard barn to see martin is a good idea.

Thanks for all the advice

Wow thanks for all the replies, i had already checked google but wanted to see what people thought(who may of done this)

So it is a budget rifle/workhorse but a damn good one for the cost.

It has seen around 150 rounds and i have had no thoughts about adjusting it beofre to see if it became lighter.

But it hasnt !

A hunting rifle should have no less than 2 3/4lb preferably 3lb is good most reviews say.

So rather than do it myself and im a pretty good carpenter/handyman mt guns are always something i do not like to tinker with myself.

I think a trip to mallard barn to see martin is a good idea.

Thanks for all the advice

For clarification my comment was meant as descriptive, not derogatory, the 770 is a much underrated rifle.

It is a workhorse/budget rifle, the 700 series is better in most areas including the trigger, (although many would consider changing that as well).

ATB!

I dont know what the trigger is like on a 770 but I bet it is no worse than a 700 old or new. I stoned my last 700 and got a nice glass rod break at 1&1/2lbs. It was a mare to do...six hours! And it was safe...full sear engagment. A Winnie 94 ae is a doddle by comparison.

Anyhoo..if your a bit handy just see if it is like the now common type of trigger that is based on a single adjustment screw the usually operates a single coil spring...if so swap the spring for a lighter one and check.....

U.

Yes no worries Deker i didnt think you were being derogatory mate just stating its type all good.

I opted for this rifle as it was cracking value and met everything i needed in a sensible budget.

i find it superb being camo stock, stainless barrel and with a good little 3x9x40 bushnell on it.

Always on group and a pleasure to shoot especially now I have the moderator.

Mallard barn said no worries can adjust it and only 40 notes so im happy with that.

Watch this space !!!

Yes no worries Deker i didnt think you were being derogatory mate just stating its type all good.

I opted for this rifle as it was cracking value and met everything i needed in a sensible budget.

i find it superb being camo stock, stainless barrel and with a good little 3x9x40 bushnell on it.

Always on group and a pleasure to shoot especially now I have the moderator.

Mallard barn said no worries can adjust it and only 40 notes so im happy with that.

Watch this space !!!

:good::good:

I'm curious now, as I said I don't know which trigger this has in it, but seemingly adjustable to so some extent at least, perhaps this is the pre X-Mark Pro unit!