Help with puppy food choice

Cookie69

This comes highly rated and is cheaper to feed than some low quality feed.

http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0341/markus-muehle-naturnah

I wouldn't put it on adult food until it's at it's desired adult weight

He was 14kilo at his last weigh in , so i dont think he is a millon miles away?

e-coli ? your talking worms not bugs. Chicken etc its all good for a nasty

There is no risk at all dogs will not get salmonella or e-coil there stomach acid is a lot stronger than ours so are able to deal with it what do you think people fed dogs before all this commercial chemical filled **** came about no wonder dogs get cancers and growths have teeth and gland problems and food allergys when there fed chemical filled dry food full of wheat and other bulking ingredients that they carnt digest dogs use a very small percentage of what there fed in dry food most comes out the other end

Thanks again

I have also been told some dogs can be sensitive to chicken.

im just off the phone to skinners nutritionist and they said the protein content in puppy food might be to much for him.

they have advised to put him on an adult hypoallergenic food skinners hypoallergenic has 22% protein.

to see how he goes?

must be worth a go

This is the best advice so far, and even your vet saying stick with a food for two months is wrong. Beta puppy I found was pretty rich, mine didn't have a problem on it but the stools were dark and almost oily and that's a dog you can give anything to with no problems. I would try the advice from you have been given first and go from there try the adult hypo food and go from there. Cockers as a breed can be a bit delicate shall we say as they have been bred for certain traits not necessarily anything to do with their health.

Have u just tried feding the dog a bit less, i know it seems far to simple but might be worth a go to see if it makees a difference, only for 1 or 2 days it should make a difference if that is the cause

Someone mentioned it ages ago but when u over feed ur dog they will become loose, IF? u are over feeding ur dog then no matter wot feed ur putting into it they will be loose.

There is no risk at all dogs will not get salmonella or e-coil there stomach acid is a lot stronger than ours so are able to deal with it what do you think people fed dogs before all this commercial chemical filled **** came about no wonder dogs get cancers and growths have teeth and gland problems and food allergys when there fed chemical filled dry food full of wheat and other bulking ingredients that they carnt digest dogs use a very small percentage of what there fed in dry food most comes out the other end

I agree with your comments about bulking, also protein etc listed in the make up of complete does not have to be proteins that a dog is capable of even digesting!!!!!!!!! However having treated a dog for infection through raw feeding I firmly disagree, more resistant does not mean immune - a big killer of the young, weakened or old of predatory creatures is e-coli, any who have kept and bred ferrets will be very aware of this and they can and will eat Rat, fox etc. I almost guarantee your dog wont eat these and if it does it will get bad guts. The trouble with ferrets starts in their emergency stash pile, especially in the warmer months but equally it could be in the dogs food on collection or during storage-cooking if you don't waste the water its boiled in takes nothing away.

its too rich you cannot give your dogs chicken mince meat all the time , it's ok on a Friday nt there called kebabs, u still need vitamins, and the the last time I looked chicken mince ain't the place to look for your greens, my dog loves a chicken mince every 2 weeks (cooked in the garage) coz it stinks as bad as it looks, owners that just feed this in my opinion shouldn't , it's not a diet it's just not right ,if you cannot afford to give your companion a healthy diet you should maybe think about not been a dog owner....can anyone give me a run down on all the vitamins that's in a 30p bag of offel ,

Beaks water and feathers don't count...(not forgetting necks) ???

Just re read he gives it frozen they like it ??? Have they told him they like frozen chicken carcasses or does he just Leave it till there that hungry they will eat it, wonder if Heas left them a microwave just incase they would like to defrost,

Is beadle about, coz I'm confused.com ....

Wonder if he is a undercover anti....

His profile says he has a lab pup, (poor dog)...

You may be of the opinion I'm an idiot, you're not the 1st and won't be the last,

I'm not one for Internet arguing but just a couple of points with regard to your post,

1)where did you see anywhere that I feed my dogs minced chicken all the time?

2) where did you get the data from regarding minced chicken being too rich for dogs to eat other than once a fortnight?

3)offel cannot be offel if it's beaks/water/feathers and chickens necks, they are two completely different things that you're describing,

however in answer to your question regarding a 30p bag of offel(rather cheap as I pay 40p per half kilo) liver contains vitamin a, vitamin c and iron along with amino acids,

Now the anti and poor dog comment, if you really do have concerns regarding the welfare of my dogs, feel free to contact the Clementwood kennels and gundog training who are assisting me in hopefully producing a great field trial champion standard dog, Graham is an accredited instructor with the gundog club and I would recommend him to anyone living in the east mids having problems with theirs dogs

its too rich you cannot give your dogs chicken mince meat all the time , it's ok on a Friday nt there called kebabs, u still need vitamins, and the the last time I looked chicken mince ain't the place to look for your greens, my dog loves a chicken mince every 2 weeks (cooked in the garage) coz it stinks as bad as it looks, owners that just feed this in my opinion shouldn't , it's not a diet it's just not right ,if you cannot afford to give your companion a healthy diet you should maybe think about not been a dog owner....can anyone give me a run down on all the vitamins that's in a 30p bag of offel ,

Beaks water and feathers don't count...(not forgetting necks) ???

Just re read he gives it frozen they like it ??? Have they told him they like frozen chicken carcasses or does he just Leave it till there that hungry they will eat it, wonder if Heas left them a microwave just incase they would like to defrost,

Is beadle about, coz I'm confused.com ....

Wonder if he is a undercover anti....

His profile says he has a lab pup, (poor dog)...

I agree with your comments about bulking, also protein etc listed in the make up of complete does not have to be proteins that a dog is capable of even digesting!!!!!!!!! However having treated a dog for infection through raw feeding I firmly disagree, more resistant does not mean immune - a big killer of the young, weakened or old of predatory creatures is e-coli, any who have kept and bred ferrets will be very aware of this and they can and will eat Rat, fox etc. I almost guarantee your dog wont eat these and if it does it will get bad guts. The trouble with ferrets starts in their emergency stash pile, especially in the warmer months but equally it could be in the dogs food on collection or during storage-cooking if you don't waste the water its boiled in takes nothing away.

at the end of the day mate each to ther own am not realy bothered what other people feed there dog was just giving the advice iv had plus researched online myself iv feed raw for many years now and none of my dog have ever been affected by anything bad by doing it giving my dogs this diet is by far the best way of keeping them completly healthy from there coat teeth and everything else i dont cook anything and never will do plus bones carnt be cooked because this will kill dogs

• 6 years later...

This is a very old thread, just thought I would add a few things to help other readers that may come across this from a breeders experience :)

I feed my adult dogs on a raw diet but any puppies I breed I wean on to Skinners as you get some looks when you hand new puppy owners a few bags of raw meat and veg. 
I usually use Skinners puppy chicken and have never had any issues with it causing diarrhoea or loose stools but on my last litter I used skinners puppy with lamb and I have had nothing but loose stools I sent samples off to check for parasites and / or bacterial infections they came back clear moved them back to my usual food Skinners puppy chicken and hay presto poops are now good :) 

I have used Eukanuba and found the kibble too hard for the pups and the weaning process takes longer to move them to dry food. 
hopefully the OP has had a fun 6 years with there dog and has now settled with a food that works for him. 

These days you can go on ‘All about dog food’ and see ratings and every ingredient in each food. 

A lot of foods contain soy, wheat and other grains which are known to cause issues. 

Even some of the ‘hypoallergenic’ foods have some ingredients that can cause upset stomach or itchy skin. Skinners chicken and rice for example contains maize, I have recently given my dog some and he got very red and itchy skin. Switched him to their duck and rice which has no grains, no soy and no maize and his skin is fine again and good poops. 

Mine have a mix of kibble and raw. Some claim you can’t feed mixed as they digest at different rates. All food we eat digests at different rates. I’ve never had a problem and neither have other people I know that mix raw and kibble. 

Mine normally gets a bit of kibble, chicken carcass, raw green tripe, mixed meats, beef, goat, chicken wings, chicken feet, duck necks, added offal already in the mixes and whatever veg we have left over from dinner.