silencer on or off

Footu

Guess it's worse for the centre fire ones (as relevant for the DSC course) as many are over the barrel types which will have more of an impact than the screw on ones at the end of the barrel like the SAK and PH rimfire ones.

It's not that matey, a rimfire uses lubed bullets. The lube lubes the bore and gives some protection from moister and any acids or salts formed. A rifle that shoots jacketed bullets there is no lube to form a protective barrier in the barrel. Also during firing a measure of water vapour is produced naturally from combustion of which likes to collect in the huge condensing tube commonly known as a silencer.

The manufacturer is warning about damage from corrosion but a 22 is safe to leave it on but not the magnum rimfires.

U.

You should be able to remove a moderator, clean it, grease the thread and screw it back on again with no loss of accuracy.

I think it would be a good idea for you to remove the moderator at least every month or so just to make sure that it is not getting corroded on.

It's not that matey, a rimfire uses lubed bullets. The lube lubes the bore and gives some protection from moister and any acids or salts formed. A rifle that shoots jacketed bullets there is no lube to form a protective barrier in the barrel. Also during firing a measure of water vapour is produced naturally from combustion of which likes to collect in the huge condensing tube commonly known as a silencer.

The manufacturer is warning about damage from corrosion but a 22 is safe to leave it on but not the magnum rimfires.

U.

Nice one Underdog :good:

I had heard horror stories from centre fire mod owners that hadn't taken them off and their crown & barrel ends had corroded so the water vapour issue makes perfect sense.

Doesn't take a minute to remove it and let it dry separately before putting away until the next trip.

I remove all my mods when I store the rifles. When I get in the mod is taken off and left on a radiator whilst I clean the rifle then the mods are locked away in a seperate locker from the rifles. I do this for the rimfires as well. Never have I had a problem with accuracy due to removing the mods. I have seen on 2 seperate occassions that people have been wondering why the accuracy has went off and eventually got round to removing the mod to find that the crown and the first few mm of the rifling was rusted, on both occassions they had never removed the mods, not even for seperate cleaning.

a .22 might not be an issue but on a hotter round if you fire a lot and the heating of cooling of the barrel/mod thread can stick the threads together and make the mod very difficult to remove.

Maybe. It is worth noting that most stainless steels gall badly. It is common practice in engineering to use copper slip type lubes on stainless threads.

U :good:

With modern powders rimfires should be ok, but best to keep your rifle and moderator clean anyway.

Centrefires can be a problem, mine are not and never will be, I run P8 mods on all my centrefires and both they and the guns are cleaned before being put away. They are then stored clean in the cabinet, moderators attached, in their slip and muzzle down. The barrels crowns and action are as good as the day they were bought and you will get no problems if you do this.

Put a centrefire away dirty on a regular basis with a dirty mod, muzzle upwards, and the odds are you will have crown/barrel pitting/erosion in time.

Reading for my dsc it says always store with silencer off if rifle fired or it can damage barrel.

Does anyone know how? I've never taken it off my. 22Lr

Should I? Will it need 're-centering if I

do?

Thanks

Taking this a little further, perhaps a poll on here to see who/how many have suffered any gun damage trough leaving a moderator on a RIMFIRE (NOT CF).

I'm off out shortly and not computer clever anyway, could anyone perhaps have a look at that? Cheers! :good:

Taking this a little further, perhaps a poll on here to see who/how many have suffered any gun damage trough leaving a moderator on a RIMFIRE (NOT CF).

I'm off out shortly and not computer clever anyway, could anyone perhaps have a look at that? Cheers! :good:

I can kind of start this one for you Dekers. I gave my father a nearly new 10/22 in the late 90's (98 or 99) and he put a Parker Hale mod on it then. There has been literally 1000's of rounds through it since then (1000+ rabbits a year) and at Christmas just gone I took the mod off to try my SAK on it. It came off reasonably easy as it had copper slip on the threads when it was put on. The crown was a bit mucky with it having a crusty, beige residue on it but that cleaned off with a bit of Balistol. Crown looked very good and from what I could see the rifling was in good condition also. I personally think it may have been a different story if it had been an HMR or WMR. The residue on the crown looked and felt almost like limescale.

my fathers browning Semi Auto .22LR has pitting from the moderator

but to be fair the time between it being removed and any cleaning regime can be measured in years....not months!

when you put double figure grains of powder through a barrel the volume of associated water vapour created by the combustion is much higher, mix this with the residues and gases as they cool and you have a very nasty solution.

I once pulled my moderator of my .243 to clean it after a 50 round range session

I stuck my nose over the end (foolishly) the smell was like a foul acid that burned my nostrils!

made the mistake of leaving it on my .222 for a couple of days after no more than a couple of shots,

rust had formed in the end threads, thankfully the crown is polished and the carbon coating had protected it

mistake on my part as I use the same mod and it is usually removed to get the rifle in its case to travel

Edited by Bewsher500

Reading for my dsc it says always store with silencer off if rifle fired or it can damage barrel.

Does anyone know how? I've never taken it off my. 22Lr

Should I? Will it need 're-centering if I

do?

Thanks

In general the moddy should come off, few do with their rimfires. I discussed this with one of the two most experienced people in the moderator business in the UK who admitted even they don't always remove rimfire moderators. I try to but often the rimfire is my port of call for a quick shot at something round the grounds so I get lax