Long nets

charlie_20

Polumbus Blunderbus you say you have seen the nylon type of long net?

Obviously your no pegger as you would not have passed judgement in that way you wrote it.

You have no knoledge on the subject so if i were you keep those chubby didgits OFF the key board regarding long netts.

Brinded does indeed do a finely made NYLON net and i would recomend one in 6z.

The Hemp longnets do take some looking after and in today hectic living fast track world would soon perish with the constant abuse.

The other day i used a Ready pegged nett 4z made by the Magnum trap company the quality was superb with top quality head and foot line. Last a few years too :lol:

Well............it all depends on what you want.

I got some really nice nylon, spun nylon, call it what you want. It's as near a damn it to hemp. Make a double strand purse net and it is straight, not twisted like others. Sits woderfully over the hole. Rabbits never come out complaining that its nylon and not hemp!!!!

I have made a nice long net in the spun nylon (Brinded supplied) but...........it's still in the making.

It's about 22 yards if I use it doubled up. That's taken about 2 years, on and off, to make. Could have made it faster but I slowed down a bittowards the end when my finger go sore.

Bought some commercial 6z nylon and made up a basket and a ready set net. One at 10 yards and one at 20 yards. Still have a spare bit of net to make up a 50 yard ready set (when I get round to it)

It's great. When out with an older friend and he thought it was a great idea.

So..........if the cap fits...........

I thing we all spend too much time worrying about the very best when really the next best will do and it's a lot better than the basic. (Does that make sense)

All the best for the New Year.

Drink as much as you can.

Well Vimm it looks like you have turned your venom on poor ol me this time.

I have a long net and will freely admit to being a complete novice however, in my opinion, I am receiving expert advice and guidance on the art from a good close friend who does know what he is talking about.

I have bought and read as much as I can on the art and without exception the advice is clear, be careful of bought nets as the do no have as much bag in them as the true longnetters would like or consider sufficient to make the most of your nights out.

As they have years of experience and written books ob the subject who am I to consider these people to be untrustworthy or lacking in knowledge?

As suggested in my post, should anyone want advice I would reccommend Tc as he has years of experience and will answer any questions you may have.

I will not keep my fingers off the keyboard on this or any other topic if I feel thro my experience or sometimes lack of it would help newbies.

Have a happy new year all :yp: :lol:

Hi Blunderbus as you say beware of second hand nets especialy if your a Novice like you and me.

I was given a 50 yarder 4z and to be honest its been a pain in the **** from day one and still is today. There`s something about this net that just wont let me pick it up correctly or even drop the poxy thing right at time`s.

Im sure the guy who gave it to was having a laugh :yp: ??

Another net i brought second hand was a 20 yard 6z which should have been a 25 yarder. Now quite often rabbits bounce of this net as there quite aint enough bagging in it. But hey it keeps the dog on his toes.

Could do with being a 16 yarder realy.

As for long netting there`s no subtitute for experience YOU or anyone else just wont learn by reading books.

You need to be geting out there and trying to thread that ready set net through the sheep wire fencing or under the barbed wire :lol:

Always spun nylon 6z..

I was looking through the Deben catalougue. They sell long-nets as follows

25yrd - with 38yards netting

50yrd - with 75yards netting

100yrd - with 150yards netting

They sell them in 4z and 6z nylon.

TC told me a while back that a long net should have double its length in netting.

25yards should have 50yards netting

50yards should have 100yards netting

and so on.

So i was thinking of getting a 50 yard long net (75yards netting) and using it as a 37.5 yard long net.

Anyway, back to the topic. Not being an experienced long-net-person, I can't really reccomend anything, but I can express my opinions.

If you could get hold of them, I think Spun Nylon Long Nets would be the best to buy, they are rot-proof, unlike HEMP. So if you spent £250 on 50yard hemp long net, when it got damp and wet with the rain, where on earth would you hang it to dry???

I use hemp purse nets for ferreting - and they are a bad head hanging up to dry after every outing!

• 3 years later...