Competitive Shooters

Will Poon

I have had some good scores with fibre so it shouldn't bother me but I did give the Beretta worlds a miss last year due to it being fibre only.

But conversely my last two shoots I shot have been fibre only so it mustn't bother me that much.

Just the inconvenience and cost of going and getting some hull pro fibre or sovereigns only to be told they don't have anything I like in stock when I have a room stocked full of plastic puts me off I guess.

So in answer to your question if I have a slab of fibres in my house it doesn't put me off too much for a shoot but if I don't then yes it can do.

No they are not all registered shoots are any wad plastic or fibre no CPSA shoots are fibre onlyDeershooter

Last year two CPSA shoots that I know of we're fiber wad only as the ground only allows fw to be used.

It don't bother me if its fw as I try to use a cart that comes in both so no change is really noticeable.

Figgy

Last year two CPSA shoots that I know of we're fiber wad only as the ground only allows fw to be used.

It don't bother me if its fw as I try to use a cart that comes in both so no change is really noticeable.

Figgy

We're these CPSA Shoots or not? the Berretta world and the auto shoot were not CPSA registered shoots .

Please advise what shoots were fibre wad only

Deershooter

The Beretta world is actually a CPSA registered shoot but it is cheating a bit as it's special http://www.berettaworld.co.uk/?p=rules.

North Woulds hold the Northern England selection shoot and that is also fibre wad.

Look at the bottom of this link

http://sites.cpsa.co.uk/north/news/2011/06/27/second-north-of-england-sporting-selection-shoot

So there are CPSA registered shoots that are fibre only, there is another I have been to but it does slip my memory.

Edited by timps

I think you will find that rather than being run by the CPSA, these shoots are run to the CPSA rules by other outfits.

Isn't that the same for all registered shoots? To my knowledge the CPSA don't actually run any shoots.

The scores from the Beretta World are submitted to the CPSA and appear on your averages so it is just like attending any other registered shoot.

North Woulds is a CPSA regional selection shoot so is run for the CPSA northern region to see who will represent them in the inter counties.

Edited by timps

Okay I'll explain, I meant that one type is run to CPSA rules within the CPSA by Ground owners for the CPSA and others are run by ground owners outside of the CPSA but adhering to CPSA rules as they are a generally accepted standard across the sport. In some circumstances the use of plastic wads is forbidden due to ground requirements.

no as most comps are fibre

Most of the comps you may shoot are fibre Mal but I have been shooting CPSA registered competitions for probably 25 years and over the last ten or so practically ever week and I have never ever shot a registered shoot that was fibre wad only. As above there are one or two CPSA registered competitions at grounds that require fibre wads to be used but they are in a very tiny minority.

Will,

I have not deliberately avoided fibre wad shoots but as I shoot a Miroku with overbored barrels I don't have a lot of confidence in them for longer stuff (almost certainly all in my head!!)

I know you have started shooting a bit of trap and I doubt if any trap shooters use fibre or any trap grounds (for registered comps) that require it.

IMHO on the sporting side of things I would decide what type of competitions you want to shoot and if it is predominantly registered comps pick a good quality plaswad cartridge (I'm certainly not going to start a which shell is best debate!!!) but have a supply of fibres for the odd strawbaler. If it is local, non registered shoots that are mainly fibre only then make your primary choice a fibre wad you are happy with.

Whichever you choose start getting your eye in, we will need you for the defending Northern team for the PW NvS Charity shoot in 4 or 5 months time.

Mr Potter

Edited by Mr Potter

Okay I'll explain, I meant that one type is run to CPSA rules within the CPSA by Ground owners for the CPSA and others are run by ground owners outside of the CPSA but adhering to CPSA rules as they are a generally accepted standard across the sport. In some circumstances the use of plastic wads is forbidden due to ground requirements.

But if the scores are submitted to the CPSA and appear on your CPSA averages then it must be a CPSA registered shoot and within the CPSA run for the CPSA. If it was just run to CPSA rules then the scores would not be submitted to the CPSA and not classed as a registered shoot.

The Beretta world is a CPSA registered shoot, the scores appear on your CPSA averages, if you are not a CPSA member you have to have a day pass so it is a CPSA registered shoot.

North Woulds. Is a CPSA selection shoot you cannot get more run for the CPSA than a CPSA selection shoot, again scores are submitted and if you do really well you can get a CPSA county badge.

Both were fibre wads only due to ground restrictions but both were CPSA registered shoots.

Edited by timps

I see what you mean, it's a shame that I've not done many ESP reg shoots as work commitments take priority , as your probably aware there isn't that many ESP reg shoots that happen up north, it's been nearly a year since my last ESP reg shoot !!

When I do have time to shoot a reg comp it's usually a trap discipline that are more readily available.

The reason I asked about fibre wads was the fact that worsley is a strictly fibre wad ground now and seeing there last reg shoot was cancelled I wondered if it was to do with the fact that it would put some shooters off attending the comp :)

I see what you mean, it's a shame that I've not done many ESP reg shoots as work commitments take priority , as your probably aware there isn't that many ESP reg shoots that happen up north, it's been nearly a year since my last ESP reg shoot !!

When I do have time to shoot a reg comp it's usually a trap discipline that are more readily available.

The reason I asked about fibre wads was the fact that worsley is a strictly fibre wad ground now and seeing there last reg shoot was cancelled I wondered if it was to do with the fact that it would put some shooters off attending the comp :)

Will, I know of several ESP Reg shoots that have been cancelled down here due to poor weather and shooter apathy.

Don't know why MCSC's December shoot was cancelled, suspect only the ground owner knows but I would guess he thought he wouldn't make any/enough money from it. Doubt if it was directly because of the re-introduction of their fibre only rule.

Fibre only certainly does put some shooters off, I know more than a few who wouldn't shoot them.

Mr Potter

Willpoon, there is a registered ESP shoot almost every month at Catton Hall, which I expect isn't more then a 30 min drive for you, come down and be part of the Merseyside massive, maybe one day you will have the pleasure of being part of the team that beat Cheshire at the national intercounties. :)

You can shoot whatever you want down there plastic, fibre or even steel !

As for the reason MCSC cancelled there shoot, there's only one person that knows the answer to that..