Wildfowling Advice - SLWC Marshes

red_stag88

Dear All,

I am a newcomer to wildfowling, this being my first season with SLWC.

I have had a few morning and evening flights of varying success on Frampton Marsh.

A few weekends ago I ventured out mid-afternoon on a falling tide to have an explore and get settled in for an evening flight. I was pleasantly surprised to find birds moving for most of the afternoon, all be it many out of range. I got settled in relatively near the front, in a gutter next to a large creek. Many birds flew over as the afternoon progressed to evening. I took one or two that were passing to my right, over the marsh, as I lack a dog and didn’t want to drop birds in the creek bottom. Many packs of widgeon paid a visit and I was pleased with my efforts. On the walk back I put up a number of teal and widgeon from splashes about the marsh.

This weekend just gone tried to replicate the same, but thought I may float a few decoys on the splashes. First thing I noted was that there were much fewer widgeon and teal in the RSPB reserve. Second thing I noted was that many of the knee deep areas of water were now muddy puddles. Undeterred I found a 10in deep splash near the large creek I was camped in before. I floated my decoys and set to waiting and watching. I noticed very few brents about, the ones I could see seemed to be further along on Kirton.

As the day progressed a pair of mallard, very high, came from the estuary and headed inland. I could see a mass of (I assume) widgeon out over the estuary (or beyond) and excitedly waited for them to pay me a visit. However when they did decide to make a move, they seemed to disappear from view in any direction but mine. Last visit, streams of birds came out of the reserve and down the creeks, but this did not seem to happen either. Three pintail did buzz straight past me, feet off the ground, but these were the only shootable birds all evening.

Essentially the flight failed to appear.

The wind was a steady 10-15mph south easterly. High tide was at 7:30pm ish. Conditions were rain to begin, but clearing to high whispy cloud.

Do I put my lack of success down to the following:

1. The vagaries of wildfowling?
  2. Being a complete all the gear, no idea ******?
  3. Should I have tried one of the other marshes like Butterwick or Wrangle given the wind? (I have not been to any other marsh than Frampton as I am a little girl and scared of Kirton.)
  4. I was in the wrong place and should have been back in the gutter from the previous trip?

I suspect it is all of the above.

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m not asking for co-ordinates to your favourite secret spot, but a general pointer of where I should be when which wind is blowing would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

In my experience, sometimes you can predict where the birds might be. I have blanked where conditions seemed ideal and walked off the marsh with 5 ducks when it seemed the odds were against me. It can be the same when goose flighting.

I think that is part of the beauty of the sport.

I think the more visits to the marsh you put in, and get to learn where to be and when to be there, your success rate should increase.

I would say a lot less than 50% of my visits to the marsh this season have ended in blanks.

Ps, I don't shoot on South Lincs marshes.

you don't seem to be doing to bad the marsh has no memory every day is different. The mallard may be local ish but all the other duck are just using the marsh at that time, may stay weeks or hours. I was once talking to a fellow fowler about ringed birds, he had once shot a duck that was ringed in Holland on the wash the next day (unlucky) so just take your chances.

There are so many varables than can effect wildfowl its not unusual for the birds to act differently day to day. For coastal duck perhaps the main influence comes from the wind. Even a moderate onshore breeze can make it unconfortable for them on the open sea and encourage them to flight into the marsh in daylight. New arriving duck from across the North Sea may want to feed on arrival and are often less wary than the local birds. However after a few days of being shot at they will soon learn to restrict their feeding times until after dark when its safer.

On one marsh I shoot on is often alive with teal and wigeon on fine Saterday afternoons while quiet all week afternoons or on wet Saterdays. Because on fine weekend days there are plenty of birdwatchers about who scare them off the local reserve. You should bear in mind that the water may have been fresh and more attractive to the duck on your first visit and less so on your second. Also the duck may have eaten most of the available food and just moved on. Finaly do not forget the effect of the moon on their flighting habbits.

All you can do is log in your mind when and where the birds were using the marsh and in future years keep it in mind when similar conditions happen and you could be in for a bumper flight.

My foreshore duck count this whole season is a grand total of........ 1 mallard and 1 teal! 2 shots all season!!

There is so much water all over the place they could be anywhere! I have done a little better inland I have managed 4 mallard.

My foreshore duck count this whole season is a grand total of........ 1 mallard and 1 teal! 2 shots all season!!

There is so much water all over the place they could be anywhere! I have done a little better inland I have managed 4 mallard.

You have done better than me 4 shots one wigeon

I'm a member of slwc, as others have said its just how wildfowling is.

its also the reason why i enjoy it so much, last year i shot a lot in land, in fact managed 28 mallard last season in land, but where is the excitement walking up a drain and shooting a duck that is right in front of you.

this year i have concentrated on the marsh and have done better than last year but have been disappointed in the number of birds i have missed.

just how it goes.

the pools you mention fill up on larger tides and hold water for roughly one week, so another thing to log in your book it's all about building a history, that's why its good to talk to the older boys there is so much that will be lost, when some of them hang up their waders atb