1st time with a magnet...

Longchalk

Used a rotary magnet for the first time this weekend, with a couple of hypa-flap decoys. Have to say they are bloomin' realistic, almost made me mount the gun a couple of time when I looked round and caught them in my peripheral vision.

Seemed to really interest passing birds too, but not the way I expected. Instead of landing in the pattern, around 20 yards away with a generous empty kill zone, they pretty much all dive bombed the magnet. I shot 8 in the first hour, and missed as many more, all screaming in low about 6-8ft over the top of it. They did sheer off finally, but not until they were right on top of it..... Is this a usual behaviour?

Hahah no such thing as usual behaviour Imo. Birds will act differently from one day to the next, over diff crops, weather, time of year, wind, part of country etc.

some days they will come in to the magnet some days the magnet puts them off.

Every day is different and different tactics and decoys will work you just have to figure out what they want on the day.

I have had pigeons trying to 'dive bomb' my magnet on many, many occasions. This is totally normal behaviour. I often put the magnet on the side that I want the pigeons to come in. There are some people that say that pigeons will not land in the pattern when a rotary decoy is used - this is certainly not my experience.

I have had pigeons trying to 'dive bomb' my magnet on many, many occasions. This is totally normal behaviour. I often put the magnet on the side that I want the pigeons to come in. There are some people that say that pigeons will not land in the pattern when a rotary decoy is used - this is certainly not my experience.

That's interesting Motty, I put it on the far side of the pattern, in case they were spooked by it an sheered off before reaching the landing area. I'll try it the other way around next time, and see what happens.

That's interesting Motty, I put it on the far side of the pattern, in case they were spooked by it an sheered off before reaching the landing area. I'll try it the other way around next time, and see what happens.

I don't know how far from the hide you have your magnet. I usually place mine about 10-15 yards out.

I have found out it doesn't matter where magnet is sited (15 yards - 30 yards) if the birds want to come in they will.

Had a great day over rape a couple of weeks ago the birds were coming in like Stuka dive bombers, the next week in the same field nothing would look at the decoys or magnet !.

They act different on every pccasion.

At harvest time last year I had the magnet set about 35 yards out, two young birds, presumably just fledged, tried to actually land on the magnet arms while they were still moving, one made two attempts before giving up, but I often have them land within a few feet of the magnet and stand for some seconds before realizing something is not right and lifting off, but I always set the magnet upwind of the decoys, the birds then pass over the pattern before getting too close to the magnet, just in case they are a bit spooky, if they are going to land they will normally drop into the kill zone near the centre of the pattern, its surprising sometimes how much noise or waving of arms you have to do to get them airborne again so you can get a sporting shot, I like to get a couple of flappers and a floater or two out downwind to give the approaching birds something to focus on so they don't look too hard at the pattern or my hide, its amazing what they don't see when they have plenty to look at. :yes::yes: