Bins in front of stands

Rst1990

The most annoying thing i have seen was a shooter ejecting his cartridges into his hand then throwing the them onto the ground away from the empty bins,I asked him if he could pick them up when he had finished shooting ,his reply was he never picks his cartridges up and leaves them for the other shooters and ground staff to pick them.Needless to say he exited the ground very quickly,and yes its my ground.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go about on the street, eating a nice bag of chips, once finished the chips you left with the wrapping, at the side of the footpath there is a nice green/brown/yellow bin, do you throw your garbage on the floor? risking to get a telling off for littering or you make the effort to go to the bin. Most of us will go to the bin, we wouldn't think....I throw it on the floor because I pay council tax, the footpath sweeper man can pick it for me, because I pay my tax.

ATB

People don't as a rule go around littering, the vast majority of clay shooters (certainly regular ones) at clay grounds also make the effort to catch and bin them, very occasionally someone doesn't, big deal. The last couple of weeks I've been suffering from a funny strain of cold giving me a bad back, do you honestly think I would be bending down fishing empties out of the mud to keep people with nothing better to do than worry about every minuscule thing going happy ? Incidentally I slap mine into the bin rather dashingly so no need for crisp and ashtray stories.

For every example like yours above, there is another equally nebulous just waiting to break cover. When you go to a restaurant, do you clear up and wash the dishes afterwards ? When you visit a car showroom on a rainy day do you ask for a mop and wipe their lovely tiled floor clean upon leaving ? My customers don't.

In other words, reality check - I know not of a single ground where the ejected shells don't almost always fall beyond the taped access area which would mean crossing this to go hunting for empties, you might as well ban semi's and be done if you're that bothered. Following people from stand to stand to see if they catch their empties, goodness.

every trap, skeet, fitasc, compact ground this is not a problem.... After each squad perfectly safe to collect all empties!

every trap, skeet, fitasc, compact ground this is not a problem.... After each squad perfectly safe to collect all empties!

By and large no need whatsoever because most people bin them, what we have here is people getting high blood pressure over next to nothing, real life is full of real problems, the odd person for whatever reason not binning shells shouldn't even register on anyones worry-o-meter.

Pretty much it comes down to one thing... respect.

I dump mine in the bin as that's what respectfull people do,

there is no rule to say you have to do it, bit like holding the door open for the elderly etc

I totally agree,i always pick mine up and bin em :good:

However if I was employed on a clay shoot,i would at some point expect to empty full bins and pick spent carts up :yes: BB

By and large no need whatsoever because most people bin them, what we have here is people getting high blood pressure over next to nothing, real life is full of real problems, the odd person for whatever reason not binning shells shouldn't even register on anyones worry-o-meter.

Yep, but the problem is some employed at these grounds think there way above menial tasks :yes: BB

This ground you coach at, we take it all the stands are designed in such a way that regardless of the make or model of the semi automatic being used, the empties are all easily and safely collectable without compromising everyone else queueing to shoot ?

In other words, reality check - I know not of a single ground where the ejected shells don't almost always fall beyond the taped access area which would mean crossing this to go hunting for empties, you might as well ban semi's and be done if you're that bothered. Following people from stand to stand to see if they catch their empties, goodness.

I followed them to the next stand as that was where I was going.

I use a semi auto myself on occasions so I do not have a thing against them, I take it/assume from your comments that you use a semi as well, what is your view? should the cartridges should be picked but the shooter or by the ground staff.

I am not small minded enough to follow people from stand to stand (unless there is a safety issue).

The bins are emptied on a regular basis so no excuse there, and yes sometimes the cartridges land in an exclusion zone, and I would not expect or allow shooters to collect cartridges from this area.

The reality check is that we should all do our part in keeping grounds neat and tidy, as well as safe.

However if I was employed on a clay shoot,i would at some point expect to empty full bins and pick spent carts up :yes: BB

Precisely, which is why we have crews who clean planes, trains and yes even automobiles. ;)

I'm really not sure what it is about ground staff or ground owners that places them above every other business activity on the planet ? No I am not saying you must pick them up because you get paid to do it but a few shells here and there is part and parcel of the game. What I wouldn't give to swap places with one of you.

I followed them to the next stand as that was where I was going.

I use a semi auto myself on occasions so I do not have a thing against them, I take it/assume from your comments that you use a semi as well, what is your view? should the cartridges should be picked but the shooter or by the ground staff.

I've had 3 but can't shoot them as well as OU's, essentially don't like them because of the shuffle movement and clackety noise etc, plus the fact they throw shells about which is a real problem in a pigeon hide but I accept them as part of the shooting scene and would never request an old boy bend down and clear up just because he needs to shoot one for recoil reasons for example.

I don't ever see people that work on the clay grounds pick the empties up, but the next time I go be it the next day if I'm lucky they have magically disappeared.

I don't ever see people that work on the clay grounds pick the empties up, but the next time I go be it the next day if I'm lucky they have magically disappeared.

I don't think it's an issue with autos that throw them forward and out of the way it's more the ignorant that eject their break barrel guns backwards into the area other guns have to walk upon because they can't be bothered to put their hands over the breech when they open it.

+1

People don't as a rule go around littering, the vast majority of clay shooters (certainly regular ones) at clay grounds also make the effort to catch and bin them, very occasionally someone doesn't, big deal. The last couple of weeks I've been suffering from a funny strain of cold giving me a bad back, do you honestly think I would be bending down fishing empties out of the mud to keep people with nothing better to do than worry about every minuscule thing going happy ? Incidentally I slap mine into the bin rather dashingly so no need for crisp and ashtray stories.

For every example like yours above, there is another equally nebulous just waiting to break cover. When you go to a restaurant, do you clear up and wash the dishes afterwards ? When you visit a car showroom on a rainy day do you ask for a mop and wipe their lovely tiled floor clean upon leaving ? My customers don't.

Yes, I would expect you, to bend down and pick up your cartridges, cold...back pain and so on, you decided to go shooting and fit for it, no excuses for not picking up your empties and I'm happy for you that you dashingly slap them in the bin .....well done :lol::lol: :lol:

At the restaurant there is a service charge, I rather not talk about showrooms, due to you working in that business.

As I said.....Respect someone else property and other clay shooting people, that's my view

I've had 3 but can't shoot them as well as OU's, essentially don't like them because of the shuffle movement and clackety noise etc, plus the fact they throw shells about which is a real problem in a pigeon hide but I accept them as part of the shooting scene and would never request an old boy bend down and clear up just because he needs to shoot one for recoil reasons for example.

So when sat in your hide, do you (or your figurative good ol' boy) pick your empties up then or leave them for a farmhand to collect next time he's passing?

I don't think it's an issue with autos that throw them forward and out of the way it's more the ignorant that eject their break barrel guns backwards into the area other guns have to walk upon because they can't be bothered to put their hands over the breech when they open it.

It does happen with a few break barrel owners, BUT in my experience it is primarily S/A's that mostly leave them scattered. Last time out I watched a squad of 5 that must surely have been sponsored by Beretta, all with similar vests and S/A guns, (not that the manufacturer's relevant, but I'll bet they were from Essex :lol: ) all 5 sprayed carts forwards, sideways and even backward on a driven bird...not one picked up. 50 hulls on the floor at every stand. I'd have banned them if it was my ground.

myself I put empties in the bins I have noticed that all the small club grounds I go to everyone collects them o/u or semi's the only time I have seen people just leaving them on the ground is at the bigger grounds at competitions.spent cartridges are nothing more than litter and if you are paying or not to be there it is only good manners to be tidy on someone else's property.

So when sat in your hide, do you (or your figurative good ol' boy) pick your empties up then or leave them for a farmhand to collect next time he's passing?

They're bad news out flighting or roosting birds too, I make a point of completetly tidying up the hide including collecting every spent shell as well as putting the hedge back into shape as much as possible, which is why I don't rate semi's as a field gun. I do a fair bit of flighting too and they're not fun then either.

It does happen with a few break barrel owners, BUT in my experience it is primarily S/A's that mostly leave them scattered. Last time out I watched a squad of 5 that must surely have been sponsored by Beretta, all with similar vests and S/A guns, (not that the manufacturer's relevant, but I'll bet they were from Essex :lol: ) all 5 sprayed carts forwards, sideways and even backward on a driven bird...not one picked up. 50 hulls on the floor at every stand. I'd have banned them if it was my ground.

In practice you can't always stop the show and go fetching scattered shells after such a squad, quite simply because each make (and age of gun), type of shell and break point of individuals ensure you'll have a nice wide spread most of which will be beyond normal reach and behind the ribbons. You can't just ban what you don't like, people have friends :friends: and you'll soon be alienating a big portion of your potential customers. If empties bother you that much then just accept you're not suited to running a ground.

I don't like heavy lifting, guess what, I gave warehouse work a wide berth.

So if I come and visit your car showroom and empty my pockets of old toffee papers,snotty tissues,bits of scrap paper and such like that's ok because you'll employ a cleaner I'm sure who'll tidy up after me. ?

Its called respecting other people's property, just the way you wipe your feet when entering someone's house.

Edited by Del T

They're bad news out flighting or roosting birds too, I make a point of completetly tidying up the hide including collecting every spent shell as well as putting the hedge back into shape as much as possible, which is why I don't rate semi's as a field gun. I do a fair bit of flighting too and they're not fun then either.

Ah, right. So you can go and spend all the time and effort clearing a field up and redressing the hedge, but can't pick a few empties up at a clay ground.

In practice you can't always stop the show and go fetching scattered shells after such a squad, quite simply because each make (and age of gun), type of shell and break point of individuals ensure you'll have a nice wide spread most of which will be beyond normal reach and behind the ribbons. You can't just ban what you don't like, people have friends :friends: and you'll soon be alienating a big portion of your potential customers. If empties bother you that much then just accept you're not suited to running a ground.

I don't like heavy lifting, guess what, I gave warehouse work a wide berth.

If they are beyond safe reach, nobody would you expect you to collect them, otherwise, when practical I'd pick up as many as posible. Mag stick is a great gadget.

It think it's more a case of manners and etiquette. Some people have them, others do not.

That's the nail firmly struck on the head.

So if I come and visit your car showroom and empty my pockets of old toffee papers,snotty tissues,bits of scrap paper and such like that's ok because you'll employ a cleaner I'm sure who'll tidy up after me. ?

Its called respecting other people's property, just the way you wipe your feet when entering someone's house.

There you go making up bizarre scenarios because someone is able to argue a point you thought was easy peasy goodytwoshoes winnable. If you read through the thread you'll see I DON'T let my shells drop on the floor, I bin them like the vast majority but I have the experience and worldly wiseness to realise it isn't the end of the world when some drop to the floor.

Ah, right. So you can go and spend all the time and effort clearing a field up and redressing the hedge, but can't pick a few empties up at a clay ground.

If they are beyond safe reach, nobody would you expect you to collect them, otherwise, when practical I'd pick up as many as posible. Mag stick is a great gadget.

Where did you get that idea from ?

The point AND reality of the matter is that they ARE beyond safe reach most of the time, the vast majority of spent shells are flung to the right and well clear of the stand, beyond the walkways making immediate retrieval impractical and often too time consuming. Therefore in the interest of the greater good people move on and someone clears up at the end, it really isn't a monstrous conspiracy or lack of etiquette, just how things are.

At the restaurant there is a service charge, I rather not talk about showrooms, due to you working in that business.

No there isn't, not every restaurant has a service charge, it is often left to you to decide whether the waiting staff did a pleasant enough job or not. Some add the service charge above a certain number of diners or sum of money. The fact is we can all interpret things how we like and make a point.

Clay grounds vary greatly in their charge structure and it isn't always related to their quality of targets or surroundings either; some of the most horrid places I've shot at charge 20% more than some of the best !

You could argue every business has (or should have) a service charge. If you run a clay shoot and charge people £36 to shoot a 100 clays then you'll have to take into account a hundred little expenses, bending down and picking up empties is just one of them, if it bothers ground owners then just add 20p surcharge, see if I care. The truth is some are just too precious and think it's below them, plumbers get their arms covered in excrement once in a while, goes with the territory.