Most reliable 4X4 please?

Colc08

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had Vitaras for years due to their lower price in comparison to other 4x4's & their ability off road. I have a 2.0hdi now with the peugeot engine & I think this has been the most reliable so far, thats why the taxi drivers love these engines. 35mpg round the doors & 42 on a run driven sensibly

I've had Vitaras for years due to their lower price in comparison to other 4x4's & their ability off road. I have a 2.0hdi now with the peugeot engine & I think this has been the most reliable so far, thats why the taxi drivers love these engines. 35mpg round the doors & 42 on a run driven sensibly

Many years ago we took in a 5 door Vitara diesel auto which you'd think would have flown off the fore court but it took months to sell because the engine sounded incredibly agricultural and it had no guts at all, may well have been a non Pug unit but I agree a manual one like yours must make very good sense.

Many years ago we took in a 5 door Vitara diesel auto which you'd think would have flown off the fore court but it took months to sell because the engine sounded incredibly agricultural and it had no guts at all, may well have been a non Pug unit but I agree a manual one like yours must make very good sense.

What year was it? The pug engines were 1998/99 to 2005. I had an earlier diesel as well & that had the Mazda RF engine.

Land cruiser vx 4.2ltr diesel,,,,, had my current one for the last 4 years and it's never let me down, no major repairs,,,, and it will go where most thing won't,, even the good old land rover can't beat we're this this goes,,,,,,,,, I used to be into landrovers and was in the process of building a overland safari, when crawling through you tube for tips and hints, I came across a vid of old Aussie outback man who was asked the question !! What vehicle would you pick for a trip into the outback,, land rover or land cruiser,,,, his reply was " I would go into the outback in a land rover or a land cruiser"""" but if I wanted to come back I would use a land cruiser,,,,,,,,,,, says it all really doesn't it,,, and after ditching the landrovers and moving over to cruisers that old Aussie is completely right,,,,,,,,,,,, apart from that while working in different foreign country's all you ever see is land cruisers,,,

Vx for me any day

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought an Xtrail to replace my Terrano.

I gave it a great deal of thought and the deciding factors were mpg and the fact that it is hard to find a Terrano that doesn't have a cream interior.

MPG is very good but I think I want another Terrano really.

At 25 mpg I did always think twice on going somewhere, so I did the right thing really.

If mpg isn't too much of an issue I would recommend the Terrano in 2.7TD.

Solid, reliable, go anywhere and what few common problems they do have are easily and cheaply fixed. Droplinks are common fault, less than a tenner each for example.

Don't get an Xtrail!

They are lovely cars, excellent offroad, good fuel efficiency and break every two minutes. :(

Saved loads on fuel compared to a Terrano and spent it all and more besides on repairs.

I have now bought a Terrano.

Up until a few weeks ago I would have said the X-Trail.

Had mine from new, looked after it and in 8.5 years its only done 57k miles. Virtually nothing went wrong with it during that time, very reliable and economical....then....Flywheel, clutch, air con pump, sat nav and exhaust fell apart within days, total bill was the value of the car....... so it had to go.

Frankly that ****** me off big time, the motor has been used but respected, very low miles for a diesel and bodywork wise still excellent, I'm not a happy bunny.

So, like a complete idiot I have gone and bought a Land Rover, the most unreliable motor manufacturer in the world.

The Freelander 2 is supposed to be a much better vehicle then the original (I know, had two).

Recently bought a 05 Rav 4 with 53K on the clock and get 50-55mpg on a daily 60 mile M11/M25 journey.

Had mine from new, looked after it and in 8.5 years its only done 57k miles. Virtually nothing went wrong with it during that time, very reliable and economical....then....Flywheel, clutch, air con pump, sat nav and exhaust fell apart within days, total bill was the value of the car....... so it had to go.

Frankly that ****** me off big time, the motor has been used but respected, very low miles for a diesel and bodywork wise still excellent, I'm not a happy bunny.

So, like a complete idiot I have gone and bought a Land Rover, the most unreliable motor manufacturer in the world.

Edited by Penelope

So...... I ended up getting a Suzuki Grand Vitara on an 07 plate. Its a 3dr and I am currently planning my cargo conversion where by I'm going to whip out the back seats and ply board the floor. Dog box up against the back on the front seats and still enough load space for what i'll need.

Getting about 40 MPG so pretty happy with that. Nice to drive as well with the comfort of a car in many ways.

But you can fix it when it goes wrong, you can't do that with most other things. :good: