Little be of common sence for the court

neil3728

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah maybe, but then if everyone had a shotgun, could they not just bring their's with them...or are burglars not homeowners?

So when exactly would you decide to shoot and which bit are you going to target for your non-mortal shotgun attack? Best avoid the legs just in case you peg the femoral artery, maybe you could ask him to stick his arms out and shoot him in the hands (two shots obviously), while he's rushing forward to attack you, in the dark, with a shotgun.

Don't forget it was the burglars who turned up armed with a fence post, it just turned out that they were nowhere good enough for the guy they decided to rob!

So what you are saying is if you are not young strong and fit if you get burglars come in to your home you should just lock yourself in your bedroom and if you can phone the police who may or may not decide to turn up at some time in the next few days that shore works for me not.

Also if you did not now before the mid 60s you could have a shotgun without all of the bother that we have now and I do not recall loads of people being shot with them when I was young.

I would not like to go through the 10 months he had to endure.

Quite simply the law needs clarifying to set out what is acceptable and what is not, in defending your home and family. Something that takes into account that all you own and love is under threat. I understand the American fixation with this. Reasonable force ?

My view is that with malice intended on anothers property, you become fair game. Its just establishing why they were there.

We should all thank this chap - this is a precedent and protects everyone who is prepared to defend their stuff and homes.

I would not like to go through the 10 months he had to endure.

Quite simply the law needs clarifying.

We should all thank this chap - this is a precedent and protects everyone who is prepared to defend their stuff and homes.

Well said , this will help the next person who finds them self in the same position as Andrew Woodhouse was.

The point that I was trying to make about having a shotgun was that anyone with a brain on seeing the home owner had a shotgun would run like hell and only if the burglars try to attack you would you be forced to shoot and ideally even then in a part of the body that would not result in killing them we are not all young fit people who could defend ourselves in the way that this guy or is it ok for us to be bludgeoned to death or put in hospital.

Close range with a shotgun? What are you going to aim at? Their feet? Hands? This would effectively be an amputation and anywhere else would likely cause death.

What if they wrestled the gun off you?

Close range with a shotgun? What are you going to aim at? Their feet? Hands? This would effectively be an amputation and anywhere else would likely cause death.

What if they wrestled the gun off you?

As I see it they should not be there in the first place and anyone who dose not run away if they have a shotgun pointed at them is quite mad.

As for the What if they wrestled the gun off you you could say the same about anything that you use to defend yourself that was the classic reason that was given to people about having a knife to defend themselves best to just let them kick you to death that way the bad guy dose not get harmed.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Gordon, I would suggest the ratio is greater in favour of the unbelievable.

Compare this verdict to the thug who got a suspended sentence for kicking a lad in the face - whilst the lad was bent down, tying his shoelace.

For every proper verdict, there appears to be another which defies belief.

Just because the jury found the individual was found not guilty this time. Doesn't mean another jury would not find someone guilty in a similar case. I think he was guilty of using excessive force , The jury probably did as well, to but decided they were not going to penalise him for defending himself even if he did use excessive force.

Not at all, god forbid anyone who comes in my home while my family is in, they will suffer the consequence but everyone having a firearm to defend their home is a bad idea in my opinion.

Does this mean you are suggesting home owners should not arm themselves against intruders for fear it encourages intruders to go 'tooled up'?

So what you are saying is if you are not young strong and fit if you get burglars come in to your home you should just lock yourself in your bedroom and if you can phone the police who may or may not decide to turn up at some time in the next few days that shore works for me not.

Also if you did not now before the mid 60s you could have a shotgun without all of the bother that we have now and I do not recall loads of people being shot with them when I was young.

I'm not saying anything.

You were the one who suggested every householder should have a shotgun. I just pointed out that would just mean everyone could have a shotgun, kinda negating the threat.

You were also the one who said that breaking two legs with a fence post was excessive, but that it was OK to shoot them in the legs with your shotgun. I just pointed out the contradiction and suggested it might not be as easy as you might hope to shoot someone without potentially upping the ante and killing them. It's not the 60's anymore, you can't leave your door unlocked, or let your kids play out late in the dark anymore, time to drag yourself forward 50 years.

I'm all for self defence mate, but don't get me wrong, put me in a position where I feel it necessary to physically defend myself or my family, swift and effective will be the keywords. Minimum damage to my opponent will not.

Not at all, god forbid anyone who comes in my home while my family is in, they will suffer the consequence but everyone having a firearm to defend their home is a bad idea in my opinion.

Fair enough, but I never mentioned 'firearms'. There are many many ways in which law abiding people can arm themselves other than with firearms.