Advise please

michufc

Hi to all I would like some advise please i am looking for a new shotgun soon and I have always had 12g but I found this to be a little tiring weight wise as most of my shooting is walked up rough shooting over my three spaniels. Now I am no wimp by any means but after walking around five miles at a time by the end it's getting on my nerves. A good friend of mine uses a 20g only now due to his health and swares by it

So I would like some advise on the pros and cons on both or a choice of guns

Thanks for your help

There are many lightweight 12 bores around. A mate has a lovely little 101 game gun which is much much lighter than my sporter with little if any increase in felt recoil. Another has the Beretta Ultralight with 'kick-off' which he thinks is brilliant, and another uses his auto for walked up rough shooting as when its not in immediate use he can carry it empty via the sling. I realise of course a slung shotgun isn't as immediately handy as a broken o/u bit its another option you could consider if you think the layout of your ground is suitable.

Hi to all I would like some advise please i am looking for a new shotgun soon and I have always had 12g but I found this to be a little tiring weight wise as most of my shooting is walked up rough shooting over my three spaniels. Now I am no wimp by any means but after walking around five miles at a time by the end it's getting on my nerves. A good friend of mine uses a 20g only now due to his health and swares by it

So I would like some advise on the pros and cons on both or a choice of guns

Thanks for your help

Getting a light shotgun is not necessarily the answer, especially with many field cartridges, perhaps consider fitting a sling on the shotgun, just a thought!

I had a 20g O/U Pointer a couple of years ago but traded it to fund a rifle I needed. I do regret selling it. My shoot captain is not a small bloke by any means but he shoots a 20g on a driven shoot all season and he takes birds that many 12g shooters would struggle with.

I think 20g is a good choice for walked up days.

The only con I would see with 20g is the cost of cartridges but that depends how many you're likely to use.

For the amount of shots I take I don't think it will matter to much to be honest my mate told me that it is more challenging with a 20g though but as I have never used one I would not know and things like Cart choice I would be lost with if anyone could shed some light on that

For the amount of shots I take I don't think it will matter to much to be honest my mate told me that it is more challenging with a 20g though but as I have never used one I would not know and things like Cart choice I would be lost with if anyone could shed some light on that

I use 20 bores. A Beretta SP and Miroku Mk 60. The Beretta weighs in at a tad over 6llbs and the Miroku is slightly lighter. As a senior, weight does matter to me. I've had a kick-eez pad fitted to the Miroku and on a good day have fired over 100 x 28gm 6's without a problem. Cartridge prices being dearer is a bit of a generalisation as a quick look at Just Cartridges prices will show 12 bore carts both dearer and cheaper. It' what you choose and where you buy them. Try and find a dealer who does try before you buy and then make up you mind what suites you. Uk guntrader shows both guns SH at around £1,000 in Warwickshire.

Hi, With regards to the lighter gun, as already said, there are some very good 12 bores which weigh around the same as a 20 bore, so weight is not an issue. I use both 12 and 20 bores for various types of shooting and instructing and I would not consider using a 20 bore being 'more of a challenge'. If you are only planning on using a few cartridges per outing, then the 20 bore could be the better gun. For shooting at 'normal' ranges 28 gram cartridges would be adequate. Should you wish to increase your hitting power at a greater range then 30 gram 5/6's are available. I have shot some of these, but would not fancy shooting a lot through a standard weight 20 bore, I would take the 12 bore instead. To give you a bit of an idea, I bought 1000 12 bore clay shooting felt wads, 28 gram 7.5's for £167 and 250 25 gram 6's 20 bore at £72 yesterday. Hope this helps you make your choice.

I use 20 bores. A Beretta SP and Miroku Mk 60. The Beretta weighs in at a tad over 6llbs and the Miroku is slightly lighter. As a senior, weight does matter to me. I've had a kick-eez pad fitted to the Miroku and on a good day have fired over 100 x 28gm 6's without a problem. Cartridge prices being dearer is a bit of a generalisation as a quick look at Just Cartridges prices will show 12 bore carts both dearer and cheaper. It' what you choose and where you buy them. Try and find a dealer who does try before you buy and then make up you mind what suites you. Uk guntrader shows both guns SH at around £1,000 in Warwickshire.

Thanks I will have a look at them tonight cheers mike

You can choose a light 12 or a 20 both will kill at any sensible range suggest you get down to The gun shop in rugby they have a link with Barby sporting ground and go take a few guns out for test drive.See what they feel like and if you have a big birthday coming up then go for something nice plenty around. Just make sure it fits and you have confidence in the gun and cart.

Have a read http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/270046-which-20-gauge

Edited by HDAV

Hi to all I would like to say thanks to all I would defiantly use rugby gun shop as they are brilliant and have delt with them for a few years and there customer service is brilliant I think I will give Martin a call I think the 20g is the way to go

Cheers mike

Just wondered what people's thoughts were about a 16 bore. I found a side by side 16 to be a very practical gun for both rough shooting and pigeon decoying.

It seems to have plenty of oomph but is a lot lighter than my side by side 12 bore and after a day in the field it doesn't seem a burden.

Can't comment on a 20 bore as I have never used one.

kind regards