choke size help ???

Guest stevo

morning all ,

can anyone shed some light on this for me , I know there was a post/ chart somewhere but i'll be ******'d if I can find it

im wanting a new choke for my berretta outlander 12g which is the old Mobil fitting ,

just seen a little barging ( well I think so ) for a brand new Teague 5/8 extended/ported . my question is what size is it in old money ?

im of the old school ... 1/4 1/2 3/4 ect ect

I normally use a 3/4 standard mobile flush fit but fancy a change .

also any views welcome .

thanks in advance

stevo

Working on the, 'any views welcome' bit, why the change unless its the, 'little bit of what you fancy' principle? Have you patterned your existing 3/4. If not, you can't be too sure that 5/8 is what you want and as you use 'old money', you'll probably recognise the connection between bargains and purses.

I just saw a Teague 5/8 for £26.00 and thought I would grab what could be a bargain , I have always used a 1/2 or 3/4 as a rule , depending on what type of shooting im doing . ( decoying /roosting ) so anyway got me thinking if I had an in-between , I could just leave the one choke in for all ,

I'll stick it on a pattern plate when I get it , and if its not what im looking for then I will just pass it on , at the price I have paid don't think I will lose out ,

and yes I have patterned ALL my guns ..... Fit and pattern , the two most important things . In that order too .

I just saw a Teague 5/8 for £26.00 and thought I would grab what could be a bargain , I have always used a 1/2 or 3/4 as a rule , depending on what type of shooting im doing . ( decoying /roosting ) so anyway got me thinking if I had an in-between , I could just leave the one choke in for all ,

I'll stick it on a pattern plate when I get it , and if its not what im looking for then I will just pass it on , at the price I have paid don't think I will lose out ,

and yes I have patterned ALL my guns ..... Fit and pattern , the two most important things . In that order too .

Sounds like you're on a winner there. :good:

Sounds like you're on a winner there. :good:

I hope so , £26 for a Teague ported / extended choke is just under half price from what I can see , like I say if it suits my needs great if not i'll stick with what I got .

regards stevo

Guest cookoff013

yeah,

i dont understand the OP post either,

you dont know what the restriction is but you want one for your gun?

just use 3/4 or even full, i bet you havent even patterned all the shells you use with all the chokes....

as a contrast, i use full-full briely set, with RC 24g #9 and is a great combo for me. i sometimes use compx21 s and live with the gaps.

i`ve been meaning to get some other chokes too.

I only wanted to confirm what size the 5/8 where . I use half and sometimes a three quarter . . I hoped that if the 5/8s was what I thought it was . I can just leave the one choke in and be done with it . I use the same carts all the time . Sipe 32 grm fiber and like I have already stated I have patterned my gun at 30 . 35 .40 45yrds with both 1/2 and 3/4 chokes that I currently have . So as I have said the only thing im trying to do is to have one choke for most situations . Its called experimenting .

Edited by stevo

To be fair, it sounds as though the OP had an inkling (just been made aware of his last post) what 5/8 actually was but asked before buying which is a step in the right direction considering some posts on here. The guy says that he's patterned the gun/chokes but does not say what the results are. The 1/2 may be shooting 1/4 and the 3/4, Full - it wouldn't be unheard of and his thinking could be that the 5/8 would give him middle to diddle.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting, but it must be said that if the OP is shooting 6s and his chokes are performing to spec', then should the 5/8 also do so then it will give just some 7 pellets less than the 3/4 and the same amount more than the 1/2. Unless the pattern quality is improved is that worth £26? If you've got £26 to spare and it's your hobby, then of course it is.

To be fair, it sounds as though the OP had an inkling (just been made aware of his last post) what 5/8 actually was but asked before buying which is a step in the right direction considering some posts on here. The guy says that he's patterned the gun/chokes but does not say what the results are. The 1/2 may be shooting 1/4 and the 3/4, Full - it wouldn't be unheard of and his thinking could be that the 5/8 would give him middle to diddle.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting, but it must be said that if the OP is shooting 6s and his chokes are performing to spec', then should the 5/8 also do so then it will give just some 7 pellets less than the 3/4 and the same amount more than the 1/2. Unless the pattern quality is improved is that worth £26? If you've got £26 to spare and it's your hobby, then of course it is.

you got it . Its just an idea I had . Maybe a total waste of time . But you never know until you try it. . If I can get something in the middle that in MY head im happy with then the jobs a goodun . Not out to change the world just wanted to have a play with an idea .

Sorry forgot to mention . Both The half and three quarter standard mobile chokes I have give equally satisfactory patterns . The half upto 35 yrds and three quarter upto 40 yrds ish . ( in my veiw ) but as I said its only an idea I had in thinking this 5/8s would sit in the middle and so I could just leave it in and not change unless I had to . In a nutshell i just cant be bothered messing about haha .

I had same idea as you Stevo, I usually shoot 1/4 & 1/2 but went for the middle of the two. I now use 3/8 in both barrels & never change them!

I use them for Skeet and Sporting with White Gold 8s & find they break everything, right out to some 55 yard crossers I encountered at a shoot a little while back.

providing there's no user error on my part of course! :blush: