xtrail

eddoakley

Your first thought was the best.

do you drive an xtrail then? Mrs will drive it more than me but it needs to suit both of us.

I have checked online and they list fuel economy as 39mpg but can anyone tell me what it actually does (the 2.2 diesel version)

Thanks

Edd

Can't tell you about the fuel as I have the 2 litre version. If you have the dreaded particulate filter, you'll need to give it a blow out at regular intervals if a lot of short slow trips are made. The seating - front and back - is comfortable but some don't like the amount of plastic trim. As you're not sitting on that and as it's dead easy to clean, as a shooter, I find it advantageous, particularly if there's a dog involved. They perform well within their limitations and seem to like Yokohama Geolander G012 tyres.

Front seats forward, sun roof fully open, piece of felt backed carpet cut to shape and edging stitched to protect the roof paint-work, rifle on bi-pod and away you go, all fall down. Alternatively, it's also quite comfortable shooting from the driving seat. For this, if you can use a file and hacksaw, it's quite easy to make a mount for a lamp utilising the roof rail mounting threads (just flip out the cover plate) which is nicely in reach.

Quite docile in town and brisk on the open road.

I've had two x-trails - a 2 litre petrol and now the 2.5 litre diesel.

Both have been absolutely superb.

Did 120k miles in the petrol and it never missed a beat, started every time, economy was ok towards the end - 28mpg but a great car.

Diesel is better, high 30s on a run low 30s normally.

The latest (ours is 08) diesels are much more economical maybe add 20% to my figures (from when I've had a loan one).

Comfortable, reliable, reasonable 4 wheel capability - what's not to like? Ok you won't take it across the sahara, but on muddy fields etc it's perfectly capable and that's all I need.

Next we'll likely get a Discovery (for the image really) but I bet we'll be back in an X-trail soon enough!

Thanks for the info guys. Looking at a few at the moment so see where it goes.

Does anyone have a suggestion of any other vehicles? Not concerned about off road ability more interested in mpg.

Edd

Dont know what sort of budget you have in mind but a friend has a Honda CRV diesel and it averages around 40mpg so pretty good , very reliable motors too

I have an x trail love it to bits capable of 40mpg no problem. Mine is old shape 2002 never misses a beat the car has been in the family for years been to a France a few times in fact it's been everywhere never let us down once. I service it regular oil filters etc and hope to get many more years out of it yet. Think most Japanese vehicles are reliable tho so CRV should be equally as good. As for off road it's ok but get some decent AT tyres.

I have read that one of the main problems some people were having were turbos blowing, apparently when engine is turned off turbo is still spinning but with no oil getting to it, therefore it was recommended after stopping to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes.

Was just about to put a similar post on here.

I'm thinking on getting either a Honda CRV or a Nissan X-Trail, but can't decide which one would be best??

It would need to be a diesel and around the 6 or 7 grand mark.

Am I right in thinking both are permanent 4x4?

And if so, is the power split 50/50?

atb

Jamie

Was just about to put a similar post on here.

I'm thinking on getting either a Honda CRV or a Nissan X-Trail, but can't decide which one would be best??

It would need to be a diesel and around the 6 or 7 grand mark.

Am I right in thinking both are permanent 4x4?

And if so, is the power split 50/50?

atb

Jamie

X-trail is not permanent 4x4 (there is a switch on the dash).

I have read that one of the main problems some people were having were turbos blowing, apparently when engine is turned off turbo is still spinning but with no oil getting to it, therefore it was recommended after stopping to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes.

It's not that the turbo is spinning (it can't be, it's 'powered' by the exhaust gasses) - it's that the turbo was still hot, but the oil wasn't circulating - so whatever oil covering on it basically baked and over time would kill the turbo in some cases.

I think these tended to be short trips, heavy driving - a sprint around the block sort of thing, if you drive normally much less of a 'problem'.

Also, from memory, fixed a long time back

X-trail is not permanent 4x4 (there is a switch on the dash).

And is selectable from 'fixed' 2 wheel mode, auto (where it will use 4x4 if it needs to) or locked in 4x4.

So you can run it as front wheel drive the whole time (what we do) and just turn on the 4x4 if you need it

It's not that the turbo is spinning (it can't be, it's 'powered' by the exhaust gasses) - it's that the turbo was still hot, but the oil wasn't circulating - so whatever oil covering on it basically baked and over time would kill the turbo in some cases.

I think these tended to be short trips, heavy driving - a sprint around the block sort of thing, if you drive normally much less of a 'problem'.

Also, from memory, fixed a long time back

And is selectable from 'fixed' 2 wheel mode, auto (where it will use 4x4 if it needs to) or locked in 4x4.

So you can run it as front wheel drive the whole time (what we do) and just turn on the 4x4 if you need it

Sounds just the job. What year is yours? Not sure if I could stretch to the latest model with the instrument panel where it should be, in front of the driver!! :lol: Have you done much off-road work, if so, how well did it cope?

Cheers

Jamie

Had my Xtrail since December. 03 2.2di sport.

Does 33mpg

Offroad isn't bad at all, quite surprised just how good it is (compared to a Terrano)

So far had 2 new front bearings on it, both of which were seized in place.

Now currently in bits while I investigate an awful noise coming from under the cam cover.

Sump off too while I try to discover if that was sludged up and resulted in poor oil pressure. Worst case scenario is new recon engine fitted for £1500.

Apart from a dodgy Orion that I once owned for a fortnight I suspect this is the worst car I ever bought.

I don't think I was sold a pup as it all has gone wrong while in my ownership.

Cheers fella's. There's always going to be a "Friday afternoon" motor...

But generally, reports on the X-Trail seems well good.

In fairness I know nowt about the Honda CRV regarding how the 4x4 part of the system works?? Constant 50/50, switchable etc etc.... I know it's reliable and a decent motor. But the 4x4 is still an unknown. Can anyone explain to me how the Honda CRV 4x4 system works??

atb

Jamie

the older crvs use oil pressure to kick the 4wd in just make sure that the rear diff has Honda atf/auto pump oil in it and not normal diff oil as this will screw the cluch in the diff and the cuperlings up . just like some **** done to mine

Mmm. Think I prefer the X-Trail set-up..... :/

What's the bodywork like on the X-Trail? I've been looking at Terranos and all seem pretty rust-prone. I reckon I'd turn one into a rust bucket in 12 months. Many seem to have leaky panels and wet floors as well. I know they're basically Ford Mavericks. Are the X-trails better?