Which one is best ... (read topic)

Xavaloy

Hey I am considering getting a PCP for FT and Hunting. After much research I narrowed down my list to the HW100, the Daystate Harrier X and the Falcon Raptor FN19. I believe from what I have managed to get from huge amounts of reviews that the Harrier and the Raptor are the better options. Opinions?

I dont want to spend any more than the sort of money rifles of this class would cost as I still have to buy a nice scope, a bipod (do the latter two rifles have enough wood to install one?) a pump etc. On the Harrier X I have read that it doesnt have a regulator, what kind of practical effect does this make or is it not really that important.

Which do you guys think are the best, give reasons if you can as I want to make an informed decision. Also another question. I like the FN19 in the walnut thumbhole stock that the single shot rifles have. However i dont want a single shot rifle. Is it possible to get a multishot with the stock I want, I really dont like the skeleton stock.

Cheers,

Xavier aka Xavaloy

Firstly if you want to do FT and hunting you'll need a .177. Using a .22 for FT is like urinating in the wind. You'll have no chance due to the loopy trajectory. Hunting can be done with either calibre. (I prefer .177 for everything as it gives you access to shots that .22 does not). Requireing a .177 rules out the HW100 as that's .22 only at the moment. The bonded on silencer is also useless on this gun, and many folk have had problems finding a suitable pellet. The Harrier X has a reg as far as I know and is an outstanding gun. The Falcon range (definately not Regged) are frankly a bit long in the tooth these days. Decent enough guns when shot on their own but I've seen many folk start on a Falcon and move to something else. The Harrier X has the advantage of single shot or multi. You WILL want single shot use for FT where mag insertion/removal between lanes /pellet counting / possible double loading etc are a pain in the bum - trust me no-one uses a multishot in FT. It's then an easy job to swap to the magazine for hunting.

If you do go for a Falcon you can get any stock option on any action.

Bipods should be no problem as I've seen them on both Harrier Xs and Falcons.

No doubts - get the Daystate.

Brilliant 1 of, thanx alot thats the kind of help I was after :lol: So about the .177, I have had two spring rifles in this before, a random asian model and a BSA lightning. Only reason I was considering .22 is because I have memories of the Lightning .177 which was putting out just under 12ft/lbs not having good enough stopping power. On the odd occasion a head shot on a rabbit wouldnt prove instantly fatal. I always used prometheus "red" pellets to hunt. What ammunition could you reccomend for increased stopping power?

Also what rifle in .20 would be in league with the Harrier X?

Thanks again,

Xavier

Power is of secondary importance to a clean kill compared to accuracy. Hit it in the brain and it's dead. Hit it in the backside and it's off.

Ammunition is immaterial to a clean kill. As a rule lead roundnosed pellets will work better than anything-else. Avoid pointed pellets at all costs. Pointed pellets are rarely accurate and shed energy fast. Daystate Ft are the best ballistically in .177. If you hit the right spot any pellet will do. If you hit the wrong spot, again any pellet will produce the wrong results.

The only time .177 won't have sufficient stopping power is because that power has been misplaced and it's a fair bit easier to hit the correct spot with a .177 compared with a .22 at 12 ft/lb