Telegraph handgun poll

Mr. Merkel

been there a few times to the states, they have their NRA and others lobbying all the time protecting the 2nd amendment.

I went to a bass pro few years back got to handle some right hand cannons .44 blackhawk, 500 S&W. did have to have a look at the glock 17 and colt 1911 2 I would buy if I lived over there :good:

well I havent been shooting as long as some of you but I have noticed that as well Imperfection we arent unified or accept other peoples likes for different areas of the sport. some just stick to their patch

of the sport and thats it.

shame with non shooters their views quite few of them are formed via the media, people on tv who come on who have no clue about any kind of shooting sport or even handled a sporting firearm before

then spout off a load of tosh a certain ex pat living in the usa :rolleyes: think the word indoctrination comes to mind really. I have to work with an anti at work who just thinks police & the mil.

should have em all. I just let her waffle on with herself once told her I was doing a ratting job on a farm with air rifle once she had a right moan. well got a load of them and told her week after :lol:

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite agree, personally I don't like bi pods and bench rest and all the rest however I don't have to shoot it so it doesn't matter, I do like gallery and clay shooting and I suspect there are many that disagree, what is common however is when one gets outlawed, like pistol shooting, it doesn't come back.

It's no good saying it won't effect me I'm a farmer or whatever when's it's all banned, exceptions can only go so far.

As for pistols, I quite enjoy them, bought a new air pistol today, it's very good and half price, I would not slag off air rifle shooters as I have a pistol, nor should they me, we are the same and should get a ******* grip or this hobby is dead in the water.

its true doesnt come back unfortunately, just have to take a look at these old guns review uk mags my dad gave me to see what used to be legal and quite a popular side of the sport.

agree with you there gingercat, wouldnt mind an air pistol when funds allow :yes:. I dont slag them off neither, we all like shooting sports it should be unity all round :good:

am ready for all the Clint eastwoods to reply with how they could shoot the acorn off a tree at 500 yards with their pistols.atb

Why would anyone say that. ? If they have shot a pistol they would know that would be virtually impossible. You haven't answered the below question yet.

Why should target shooters (rifle or pistol if the latter were allowed) be prevented from keeping their own property, their legally owned sports equipment at home? If pistols should be locked in a club, why shouldn't a clay shooter have to lock his gun at the clay club or in a gun shop? What about a recreational pigeon shooter.

Have to agree with Blunderbuss again, and it isn't just shooters who can stab each other in the back; it isn't beneath our organisations to turn their back on us when it suits.

I recall a national news broadcast which showed a bloke shooting melons or pumpkins from a range of about 5 yds (no doubt for dramatic effect) with a 12 bore Franchi SPAS following Hungerford. What it had to do with the shootings at Hungerford I have no idea, but I have no recollection of our shooting organisations responding much with the exception of Colin Greenwood, nor have I any recollection of the NRA putting up much resistance. We used to be a nation of riflemen, believe it or not.

I recall our biggest shooting organisation advising shooters to keep a low profile following Dunblane (let's all hide away and perhaps they wont notice us! :ninja: ) to the extent the very small and newly formed (as a result of the apathy of other organisations) Shooters Rights Association was left to do the donkey work, and one or two individuals such as the former Police officer Colin Greenwood and him who must not be mentioned....puuuuuullllll!

Pistol shooting was so popular it had three magazines devoted to it such as Guns Review, Target Gun, and Handgunner. All gone, though TG survives as a small section in Sporting Rifle.

Take a look at Practical shotgun nowadays, it is very similar to how Practical pistol was; are they regarded as walts or Rambos? Rambo incidently, in First Blood , pranced around with a hunting knife, punji stakes, a fully automatic M16 and a M60 machine gun. Can't recall him using a handgun but its been a while since I watched it so I may be wrong.

Semi-automatic CF rifle shooters were small fry in the scheme of shooting organisations priorities,and pistol shooters also. It was easy to sacrifice those in the name of the greater good. It will be likewise for BP pistol shooters or CF carbine shooters and PSG shooters if the need arises. Saying all this.......... am I bitter? Bloody right I am.

Edited by Scully

I don't understand the logic of your post at all. Who, (apart from you) is talking about shooting rabbits or deer with a handgun? Who claimed handguns were as accurate as rifles? You seem to be under the mistaken idea that live quarry shooting is the be all and end all and target shooting is less important? I do both and neither is more worthy than the other. If live quarry shooters are prepared to throw target shooters to the wolves, why shouldn't target shooters (including clay shooters) stab stalkers or pigeon shooters in the back? Why should target shooters (rifle or pistol if the latter were allowed) be prevented from keeping their own property, their legally owned sports equipment at home? If pistols should be locked in a club, why shouldn't a clay shooter have to lock his gun at the clay club or in a gun shop? What about a recreational pigeon shooter, does he really, really need to keep his gun at home following your logic? Or an occasional stalker? You see where your line of reasoning leads. Also, if handguns should stay banned because they are less accurate than rifles, maybe rifles with iron sights should be banned? Bipods and heavy barrels compulsory? Prone shots only? Etc etc..........

By the way, as I said earlier in this thread, as much as I loved pistol shooting, I'm a realist. Widespread pistol ownership is never coming back. Sadly, I think there is a realistic chance of recreational civilian gun ownership full stop coming to an end in my lifetime. The one thing guaranteed to hasten that is blinkered shooters thinking that their own narrow bit of the sport, whatever it might be, is the only bit which matters.

maybe you would like to wind your neck back in for a minute my reference to handguns if they were offered and being stored at a range/club was as a result of someone else's comment no.23 saying that they could be stored there I said about the not using them at live quarry to show that it would not make a lot of difference if they were not in the home. and the resulting answers that brought in my observation was if handguns were offered back with that as a condition it seems most of those who want to shoot handguns would refuse the offer so not my suggestion at all in the first instance but feel free.i have been ranted at because I pointed out that a poll in a national paper was a farce with wording designed to inflame the public against shooting.i was also had rants at me because I dared to say that all shooters should join basc or cpsa and give them the power of numbers so that government had to listen and take our views on board but it seems that was wrong as well although people like to hold up the usa as an example but what they fail to say is the americans have the freedom they do because they pay to support the nra.this is a very aggressive forum and I do not think that is a good trait on a site that's main concern is firearm ownership.i am sorry that handguns will never return I truly am I am also sorry that my great grandchildren will never know the pleasure of being able to shoot and enjoy the countryside and all its traditions. the only people who can stop this happening are those who enjoy them now and that includes the pw members.

well I still think that there is a need for an organization to protect the future of country sports and that all those who enjoy them should pay into it.as has been said many times there is safety in numbers.but as this is a free country you are free to watch them disappear if you wish.atb

So you arent a BASC member? or maybe a dissatisfied BASC member? Or a dictator? or a bystander?

What you are not is logical and coherent - sadly.

Sorry to be personal but I shall not reply to your posts ever again.

I'm sure that is something you had expected.

So you arent a BASC member? or maybe a dissatisfied BASC member? Or a dictator? or a bystander?

as is your choice,and yes I understand that belonging to an organisation that could speak up for us is an unreasonable and illogical thing to do.well on here anyway.

Bostonmick, I'm sorry but I can't make head nor tail of anything you write. I have tried, honest. Let's politely agree to disagree and I'll avoid commenting on anything you write. All the best.

as you wish.good luck

as is your choice,and yes I understand that belonging to an organisation that could speak up for us is an unreasonable and illogical thing to do.well on here anyway.

as you wish.good luck

Er he asked if you were a BASC member....

maybe you would like to wind your neck back in for a minute my reference to handguns if they were offered and being stored at a range/club was as a result of someone else's comment no.23 saying that they could be stored there I said about the not using them at live quarry to show that it would not make a lot of difference if they were not in the home. and the resulting answers that brought in my observation was if handguns were offered back with that as a condition it seems most of those who want to shoot handguns would refuse the offer so not my suggestion at all in the first instance but feel free.i have been ranted at because I pointed out that a poll in a national paper was a farce with wording designed to inflame the public against shooting.i was also had rants at me because I dared to say that all shooters should join basc or cpsa and give them the power of numbers so that government had to listen and take our views on board but it seems that was wrong as well although people like to hold up the usa as an example but what they fail to say is the americans have the freedom they do because they pay to support the nra.this is a very aggressive forum and I do not think that is a good trait on a site that's main concern is firearm ownership.i am sorry that handguns will never return I truly am I am also sorry that my great grandchildren will never know the pleasure of being able to shoot and enjoy the countryside and all its traditions. the only people who can stop this happening are those who enjoy them now and that includes the pw members.

So PW members can protect them great but HOW? thats what you dont say! You go on about the NRA in the US it doesn't exist here neither does the potential membership (surely you know this)...

(Try a carriage return after each point it makes it easier to read your posts.)

Aggressive? Hardly, passionate yes.

Way to avoid the question.

as you wish.good luck

What? So you aren't a member?

Edited by HDAV

Er he asked if you were a BASC member....

So PW members can protect them great but HOW? thats what you dont say! You go on about the NRA in the US it doesn't exist here neither does the potential membership (surely you know this)...

(Try a carriage return after each point it makes it easier to read your posts.)

Aggressive? Hardly, passionate yes.

I am in fact a member of three basc/cpsa and cla.I will say however that basc runs out in around six weeks and I am not sure if I will bother again cpsa as I shoot registered.basc as I thought they were there to protect country sports and activity's,and cla is self explained.hope this clears it up for you.

the poll which this all started over in my opinion was not a serious attempt by the newspaper to aid the shooting people.if you read the reason that went with the poll in the second link put up on this thread.

as far as the usa goes a post on here said that in the usa they stand up for themselves well part of that is paying into the nra.and yes we do not have the amount of people they do to join ours but even the ones we do have the majority cant be bothered.its a shame but that's how it is I guess.

Nearly 51 percent in favour well done everyone we all need to stick together because you like shooting shotguns but not rifles why should rifle shooters be penalised because shotgun shooter don't like it how would you feel if it was the other round if we don't stick together then everyone wil loose everything then youl be wishing you stuck together once it's gone it's gone the day they take all the guns of us is the day to leave this country

Atb Scott

Selective extract - sorry;l I dont understand your response but I am quite clear that trading posts with the person I responded to is,simply put, - pointless.

if you are aiming this at my replyi thought it was clear in that I am a member of three cpsa/basc/cla.if it was not then I apologise but the post is not very clear.

Unfortunately as part of its Class War, the next Labour government will attempt to ban all private firearm ownership. Probably air weapons as well.

And when were you told this?have you read it or been told it by a labour official?,or is it just your opinion and not underpinned by any facts?

I am no labour supporter,but they were in power for 13 years and they didn't ban everything then.

Unfortunately as part of its Class War, the next Labour government will attempt to ban all private firearm ownership. Probably air weapons as well.

Not so sure about that.

Nearly all gun legislation in this country has come under a conservative government.

Why does most good debated threads on here always end in argument thus ending in being prematurely closed (coming shortly I'd say)? I love a good debate but it always seems to go too far which is why myself (and most likely a lot of others) don't post much. So much for unity.

8 pages ,prematurely closed! I would say that's a good run for a topic as light as a newspaper poll.

Why do people always pop up in the death throes and say why do threads end in argument etc,if you want to contribute something say it when the thread is running along nicely,you never know you might be the game changer,but please don't come in at the end and say you love a good debate,when in fact you don't debate.

As an aside just about all debates on forums run out of steam or get locked as unlike real life there is no vote at the end to determine who debated the best,so it is flawed from the beginning.

Oh and remember it is a forum, it should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Edited by welsh1

I said (coming shortly I'd say). And no! Most don't get locked. One of the biggest fishing (among others I'm in) forums on the net dosent have this problem. And as I said I don't interact be cause of the arguments. By the way I live in Northern Ireland so can join my local club to shoot with pistols thus this thread is not that relevant to me. But you have just confirmed my issue of arguments with your reply to this thread.

Also I'm on your side, can't see any reasons why pistols shouldn't be legal. The government mite as well ban kitchen knives too.

Apologies if I rattled any cages.

I said (coming shortly I'd say). And no! Most don't get locked. One of the biggest fishing (among others I'm in) forums on the net dosent have this problem. And as I said I don't interact be cause of the arguments. By the way I live in Northern Ireland so can join my local club to shoot with pistols thus this thread is not that relevant to me. But you have just confirmed my issue of arguments with your reply to this thread.

Also I'm on your side, can't see any reasons why pistols shouldn't be legal. The government mite as well ban kitchen knives too.

Apologies if I rattled any cages.

See there you go,I'm not arguing with you,is my voice raised? am I incensed with your reply? I didn't argue,I pointed out that the thread had a good innings,and there were people who make the same kind of comments toward the end of threads time and time again,yet rarely actually add anything else to the debate.

You could have had a good input with your position in Ireland and handguns and raised some valid points,all debate is argument,some are very heated others not so,some people spout rubbish(yes I know some think that is just me)and some deliberately troll for responses.

And don't apologise for rattling peoples cages,that's what debate is for,stir up different ideas,and challenge perceptions,if everyone agreed with everything, it would be a boring place.

And as for other forums, I am a member of a fair few,and I have to say this forum is head and shoulders above them,it is fast moving witty,argumentative and informative and most members on here would help out in a crisis,I have met a couple of members, and they are great people,and if you have a perception of how they will look you will probably be wrong,take me,would it shock you that I am 6 foot blue eyes and blonde hair and am a woman.

It would shock my wife ;)

get involved in threads,don't sit on the sideline,it is just a forum,at the end of a heated debate/argument no one is hurt,I don't ever hold anything against anyone for what is typed on here,apart from one,you know who you are and I will find you(a joke):)