Telegraph handgun poll

Mr. Merkel

Welsh1 I've no argument with you personally. I was just speaking my thoughts. No harm done by the way. But in the intrests of the thread there is no reason I can see the mainland not to have access to pistols. Not too sure here but has the EU no input ? They seem to have a lot of say on other subjects????

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately as part of its Class War, the next Labour government will attempt to ban all private firearm ownership. Probably air weapons as well.

The annoying thing about class war is that it often isn't the upper classes who are affected by policy, so I can't really see this happening. There is a varied pro and anti-shooting cross section of politicians from all parties. Keith Vaz, (Labour) who is a rabid anti and chaired the committee looking into the possible proposed changes to firearms licensing following the Cumbrian shootings, mellowed his opinions somewhat after being taken to a clay shooting venue.

Anne Widdecombe, who is a rabid anti fox hunting Tory, said from her position as a minister following Dunblane that the handgun ban was bad policy, and should never have happened, yet it was her party in power at the time which banned all but .22 rf handguns. Labour went the whole hog because they knew it was a vote winner in an impending general election, which they would have won anyway due to a Tory party hell bent on pressing the self-destruct button by accusations of sleaze etc. Remember the toe sucking leech Tory David Mellor who claimed gunowners were perverts? Pot/kettle!

The Tories, apart form the Liberals who started it all under the leadership of David LLoyd George have brought in more firearms legislation than any other party.

Edited by Scully

You could have had a good input with your position in Ireland and handguns and raised some valid points.

Northern Ireland, handguns are banned in the Republic of Ireland. Just so their is no misunderstanding. :)

It was a member of the labour politician that did not extend the handgun ban to N Ireland.

On April 2nd 1998, the then Northern Secretary, Mo Mowlam, announced that she was not "convinced of the need to prohibit the possession and use" of handguns, bearing in mind the "clear commitment to maintaining the highest standards of personal behaviour" of firearms holders.

Edited by ordnance

Northern Ireland, handguns are banned in the Republic of Ireland. Just so their is no misunderstanding. :)

It was a member of the labour politician that did not extend the handgun ban to N Ireland.

Handguns are not banned in the Republic of Ireland. Their private ownership has veen curtailed in order to reduce the number in circulation, but they have not been outrightly banned. You can still possess handguns if they are on your licence. Therefore one could say that civilian possession and use of handguns is permitted across the island of Ireland as a whole.

Handguns are not banned in the Republic of Ireland. Their private ownership has veen curtailed in order to reduce the number in circulation, but they have not been outrightly banned. You can still possess handguns if they are on your licence. Therefore one could say that civilian possession and use of handguns is permitted across the island of Ireland as a whole.

You could say that about , England as handguns can be owned for humane dispatch etc. People could post the law making handguns extremely difficult to get, but as the law more or less makes it impossible for the average shooter in England to get a handgun most refer to it as the handgun ban. But as the ban did not apply to N Ireland and handguns can be got for target shooting that is not the case in England, so there is a big distinction on the laws regarding handguns in N Ireland and England. the same goes for N Ireland and the Republic of Ireland , they might available for some but they are that difficult to get that they might as well be banned. So I think its fair to point out that the laws regarding firearms are different in N Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Do you not see the differences in the firearms laws in England , N Ireland , and the Republic of Ireland. The clue is in the title. ( Minister Dermot Ahern Outlines (Handguns Ban.)

You can still possess handguns if they are on your licence.

Are you sure about that . ?

The Bill will provide for the revocation of any handgun licenses which may be issued between now and the enactment of the legislation and it is intended that anyone applying for a handgun license in that period will be informed of that fact.

Minister Dermot Ahern Outlines Handguns Ban.

His proposals for radical reform in this area include

• no new licences will be issued for handguns.

• existing licenses will not be renewed unless applications fully meet the requirements of a radically tightened licensing procedure where the safety of the community will be paramount

• the Minister will keep under annual review, in consultation with the Garda Commissioner, the outcome of the licensing procedure and, if the outcome of that procedure leaves a situation which still poses an unacceptable risk to the community, will use new powers, which the Bill will contain, to ban outright any type of firearm.

The Bill will provide for the revocation of any handgun licenses which may be issued between now and the enactment of the legislation and it is intended that anyone applying for a handgun license in that period will be informed of that fact.

The Minister is prepared to make very limited exceptions in relation to Olympic sports only.

The Minister considers that his proposals will not cause inconvenience to the vast majority of gun owners, who have had no interest in acquiring hand guns.

The Minister said "While I regret the need for these proposals, the reality is that if we were subject to a Dunblane type incident or stolen legal handguns were used to kill innocent civilians the present situation, which has not arisen as the result of any policy decision, would be impossible to justify."

Edited by ordnance

Copy and paste comes to the rescue once again.

You have a thing about copy and paste, would you prefer that people posting typed it out themselves. The copy and paste facility is there for a reason. If you have an issue with it maybe you should take it up with Microsoft or whoever invented it.

Some more cut and paste bellow, apparently it has being in use for a long time. :)

The term "cut and paste" comes from the traditional practice in manuscript-editings whereby people would literally cut paragraphs from a page with scissors and physically paste them onto another page. This practice remained standard into the 1980s. Stationery stores formerly sold "editing scissors" with blades long enough to cut an 8½"-wide page.

Do I think handguns should be legal for UK citizens? Yes.

You aren't a "Walt" for wanting to have one. Heck, I'd be considered a Walt by many here simply because I own 2 handguns, an AR-15, and a tactical Mossberg 500.

That being said, it's more than likely never going to happen. Gun laws are rarely repealed once enacted.

still cant get what all the fuss is about,,,i,ve just spent 1 1/2 hours reading this thread and to my astonishment I am No clearer about the handgun situation other than the PW gang picking on an individual and the cut and paste kid at his old tricks again,, (bullying)

how do you expect to get handguns back when all you do is argue amongst yourselves

one post that did stick out WAS,,,,keep the handguns at the shooting club,,good idea I thought to get the foot back in the door,,,but NO an EX handgun owner decides to reply with something on the lines of ,,,WHAT they will get broken into,,,,

get a grip ex handgun people,,

I love shooting and to me this handgun scenario is really becoming boring now, hate me all you like but I,m a shooter and I,m thinking like that,,how do you feel a non shooter would feel,

you all need to (except the odd few) take a good look at what you are posting and see just how stupid you sound,,one minute your saying "we will never get them back(handguns)"

the next its "lets all vote yes"

totally confusing to me and probably many others,

what makes me laugh is most of you Voted for the idiots that took your right to have these guns away,

unreal

atb Evo