adding brake fluid to diesel

castletyne

Don't know about brakefliud but petrol certainly does, wife put 30lts of Petrol in the diesel Zafira on Friday. Had to drain tank then tow the blessed thing down the road ta bleed ( zafiras aint easy to bleed). Not happy at time but the injectors are certainly working better now, car runs like a dream. I would not recommend this course of action, stressfull and potentially engine killing, best just use proper additive.

Two stroke oil helps lubricate the injector pump and injectors. :yes:

Brake fluid i would say NO. It could react with rubber seals. Oil seals in the pump. :sick:

Fuel Sensors. Exhaust Sensors. That could lead to ECU Problems. :cry1:

Modern Engines are so Sensitive to what you feed them. :yes:

Just get a bottle of Injector Cleaner. They treat 60 lit of fuel. A lot less smoke.

They do work i look after 15 Taxi cabs and i treat them with Injector cleaner & new air filter.

The week before there test and when they go for test and there emissions are right down. :good:

Happy Days.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Guest rimotu66

I would also say no to brake fluid, just my thoughts but brake fluid is not made to compress which a diesel engine does to diesel to ignite it, could brake fluid cause hydraulic damage like water does? I don't know for sure but would not want to risk it.

I did use low ash 2 stroke oil in my old 300tdi and it certainly seemed to run smoother and quieter, I have not used it in my 3.0 Trooper as those engines have enough problems with injectors etc nor have I used it in my 320d Beemer as I am not sure if 'modern' injection systems need it or if it would cause problems.

I guess what I am saying is if you are not sure and do not have it in black and white..................................Don't do it :no:

Guest rimotu66

Sorry for the hijack but

How much 2 stroke are you adding ?

Thanks

Karl

As I said I do not use it now but seem to remember 30cc : 100ltrs, I just used to pour a slug in every time I topped up, never bothered the old Disco.

Kerosene will do the same thing if you run a power wash on red diesel and open it up the inside is covered in carbon and stops it firing after a while if you run kerosene through it the inside is spotless they tell you it is bad for your engine yet they put it in jet engines and straight into the atmosphere and no problems

As I said I do not use it now but seem to remember 30cc : 100ltrs, I just used to pour a slug in every time I topped up, never bothered the old Disco.

I ask as our astra has been suffering from old age ;) may bob a bit in any preference on the type of oil ?

Many thanks

Karl.

Guest rimotu66

I ask as our astra has been suffering from old age ;) may bob a bit in any preference on the type of oil ?

Many thanks

Karl.

I just used to buy the cheapest as long as its 'Low Ash'

Do a google search theres plenty of info on this :good:

Edited by rimotu66

Guest rimotu66

Diesel does not compress in a diesel engine, infact its the air that is compressed then the fuel is injected in under very high pressure. This inturn rises the temperature in the cylinder to flashpoint where the fuel and air burn in a controlled way

Then I stand corrected Sir :good: my old memory has let me down again. I still do not fancy putting brake fluid in my fuel :whistling:

Be careful, the fuel lines, hi presure pump and injector seals are designed to withstand attack from diesel fuel and can be damaged by other chemicals. I wouldn't personally put break fluid in with the diesel. I would seek expert advice first or you run the risk of a very expensive repair bill to the tune of arround £3,000 to £5,000. You gotta ask yourself the question, do you feel lucky ?

Brake fluid is a no go in engines. It's not meant to be there for a reason. Try some BG-244 diesel fuel system cleaner and you'll notice a big difference in emissions, engine performance and more than likely mpg. One can treats up to 60ltrs and lasts up to 10,000 miles. Tried a lot of additives but this seems to be the only one that works imo.

Guest rimotu66

I cannot see an advantage to adding anything to diesel.I work as a fitter and look after some very high mileage engines which have had no additives and no injector trouble

You've not worked on a Trooper then have you?

Here is just one example with a quick google search, not saying if tis right or wrong but as this one is on a 320d I might just give it a go on mine

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1079253

One of the reasons I was told which makes sense to me is: injectors and fuel pumps use diesel as a lubricant for moving parts (yes oil as well I know) modern low sulphur diesel does not have the lubrication qualities that the old diesel had, a bit like unleaded petrol was not much good in old petrol engines as they needed the lead to lubricate moving parts (and yes I know they used oil as well).

Edited by rimotu66

You've not worked on a Trooper then have you?

Here is just one example with a quick google search, not saying if tis right or wrong but as this one is on a 320d I might just give it a go on mine

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1079253

One of the reasons I was told which makes sense to me is: injectors and fuel pumps use diesel as a lubricant for moving parts (yes oil as well I know) modern low sulphur diesel does not have the lubrication qualities that the old diesel had, a bit like unleaded petrol was not much good in old petrol engines as they needed the lead to lubricate moving parts (and yes I know they used oil as well).

I do work on a trooper but its an old 3.1 with 187,000 miles on it.I must admit most of the vehicles I work on are getting on a bit so maybe it does not affect them.